Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Lady & Viv

Default Lady & Viv

Recently, I posted about a squirrel with front left leg missing found in neighbor's backyard. The neighbor is disabled, only gets around on crutches & cannot go into her backyard. This lovely little squirrel has been named Lady. Neighbor can throw food from backdoor or window. In good weather, no problem. Yesterday, went over there. Heavy rains had caused dirt in backyard to be too thick for Lady to negotiate. She falls face-first & has difficulty getting out. Result: can't get to food & neighbor can't get to her. Didn't know what to do, so put food on metal cookie tray. Placed it at tree base. Saw from house that Lady could get down. Ate all & was hungry. This however, was only temp. solution as tray startd to move around. Am worried about Lady managing in more rain & later snow. She is incapable of getting thru yard to food. All suggestions greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Advice needed for squirrel with front leg missing

K—Hi! I’m glad that you posted here and I do hope you will get a lot of input there are so many individuals each with their own experiences.

I see that your neighbor is never able to go into the backyard—originally I thought that a squirrel feeder could be placed near Lady’s feeding area and suggested these wonderful feeders that I saw a few members had: (www.collectionsetc.comNut House Squirrel Feeder or Cabin Squirrel Feeder, both are under $20 each. The benefit is the birds can't get into them—but the neighbor would have to be able to at some point go into the backyard to refill, so this may not even be an option and would be too much work for you to do for her.

My second thought is that since you mentioned that you put down a cookie sheet filled with nuts at the base of the tree, makes me think the mud is right there—perhaps stones (from the lawn/garden) can be placed there at the base of the tree as not to sink into the soil, just a thought. Or is budget money allows, perhaps stones can be purchased and a path made from the backdoor to the feeding area?

My last thought is there was a post a while back and I wonder if it could be adapted to help your neighbor? The Squirrel Board > Off Topic (or Feeling Nutty) > Off Topic Posts > Squirrel Feeder Project, take a look and let me know your thoughts. I hope you’re handy!!!!! The instructions are wonderful along with photos of each step.

I do hope others chime in with their wonderful expertise, especially to help the little squirrel named Lady who is missing her left front leg!

My only concern about Lady is that if she is having trouble in the rain and is falling down—perhaps a rehabber or another member could comment on their experience with that situation.
    —E
    “Why she Had to go I don't know,
    she wouldn't say,
    now I long for yesterday."
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his LIFE, his LOVE, his LEADER. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"—Unknown
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.

This is all to help a three-legged squirrel named Lady who collapsed in the mud during the recent heavy rains and the woman who feeds her is also handicapped and cannot make it to the backyard to feed Lady.

Is a squirrel feeder something one person can put up themselves?
    Is a ladder needed?
    What tools are needed?
    How high off the ground should it placed?
    How far away from the tree that they live (sleep) in should it be place?
    Are there any other considerations for installing a squirrel feeder?.

I have no knowledge of installing or using a squirrel feeder personally

Any and all suggestions are most valued and welcomed!
    —E
    she wouldn't say,
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his LIFE, his LOVE, his LEADER. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"—Unknown
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.

If the rain and mud made her pretty immobile, I am concerned what the snow would do? This is a tough call...gees do you try to trap her and give her a forever home, she may not even want that nor like that...or do your best to supplement her diet through the winter.
    Can another person get into this neighbors yard to put daily food down for her?

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York
    If the rain and mud made her pretty immobile, I am concerned what the snow would do? This is a tough call...gees do you try to trap her and give her a forever home, she may not even want that nor like that...or do your best to supplement her diet through the winter.
    Can another person get into this neighbors yard to put daily food down for her?
    Nancy, how would be the best way to put the food down for her, the woman is disabled and can't make it to the backyard on a good day, not to mention the bad ones (rain,snow)? Should a Squirrel feeder be installed? Or something else? I really don't have any ideas to offer this situation. Any experience you could provide would be most appreciated. Thank you!!!!
    —E
    she wouldn't say,
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

Quote Originally Posted by Pointy Tale
    Nancy, how would be the best way to put the food down for her, the woman is disabled and can't make it to the backyard on a good day, not to mention the bad ones (rain,snow)? Should a Squirrel feeder be installed? Or something else? I really don't have any ideas to offer this situation. Any experience you could provide would be most appreciated. Thank you!!!!
    I saw that the woman was disabled that's why I suggested that perhaps someone else could come into her yard to do it for her? I don't know how far she would have to go etc. but in the winter even with a feeder, she will have to replenish...maybe even daily...
    I think when feeding squirrels, it is a daily thing because the birds and other squirrels are going to get the food.....I just have to put my thinking cap on...other than some neighbor coming to put the food down for the little three legged squirrel...I don't know, but will sleep on it.....

longshotgamble Guest

Gosh, I cannot think of anything to help...will sleep on it too. I was thinking of a pulley system, like clothes lines in the city between buildings. This way the feeder could be brought to the caring person who wants to feed this special wild friend.

Quote Originally Posted by longshotgamble
    Gosh, I cannot think of anything to help...will sleep on it too. I was thinking of a pulley system, like clothes lines in the city between buildings. This way the feeder could be brought to the caring person who wants to feed this special wild friend.
    Good thought..I too was thinking of something like that...would that freeze though in the winter with the ice on the pulley's?

I saw that the woman was disabled that's why I suggested that perhaps someone else could come into her yard to do it for her? I don't know how far she would have to go etc. but in the winter even with a feeder, she will have to replenish...maybe even daily...
    I think when feeding squirrels, it is a daily thing because the birds and other squirrels are going to get the food.....I just have to put my thinking cap on...other than some neighbor coming to put the food down for the little three legged squirrel...I don't know, but will sleep on it.....
    Nancy—you are simply wonderful, thank you for replying. Yes, I believe Katherine has offered to do the replenishing of food for her neighbor in the squirrel feeder if that is the way to go. The neighbor doesn’t actually have a feeder now and I really don’t even know if she can afford one. I think, or my understanding is the neighbor tosses nuts from a window or backdoor opening, but she is unable to go into the yard regardless of weather and on good weather it’s easy for “Lady” the 3—legged squirrel to just run over. Am I making any sense? It doesn’t sound right to me, but I’m tired again—so please excuse the repetitiveness of my words, maybe I should go to sleep and stop typing!
    Quote Originally Posted by longshotgamble
    Longshotgamble—you are amazing, thank you for replying. What a marvelous idea you have there a pulley system, that is fascinating! I wonder though would a woman be able to put this up by herself? I am guessing that it will be our member Katherine who will be doing this work for her neighbor all in the names of squirrels, doesn’t your heart just melt!
    —E
    she wouldn't say,
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

Nancy—you are simply wonderful, thank you for replying. Yes, I believe Katherine has offered to do the replenishing of food for her neighbor in the squirrel feeder if that is the way to go. The neighbor doesn’t actually have a feeder now and I really don’t even know if she can afford one. I think, or my understanding is the neighbor tosses nuts from a window or backdoor opening, but she is unable to go into the yard regardless of weather and on good weather it’s easy for “Lady” the 3—legged squirrel to just run over. Am I making any sense? It doesn’t sound right to me, but I’m tired again—so please excuse the repetitiveness of my words, maybe I should go to sleep and stop typing!

Longshotgamble—you are amazing, thank you for replying. What a marvelous idea you have there a pulley system, that is fascinating! I wonder though would a woman be able to put this up by herself? I am guessing that it will be our member Katherine who will be doing this work for her neighbor all in the names of squirrels, doesn’t your heart just melt!

PT...sometimes I just think that you are just so darned cute and you don't even know it.....

PT...sometimes I just think that you are just so darned cute and you don't even know it.....
    Nancy—LOL! You are too kind to me, thank you.
    —E
    she wouldn't say,
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

Thanks to all who have posted. Could not get on last night-internet down. I'm sorry I didn't make it clear when I started thread that I will do whatever needs to be done, be it daily or otherwise. Neighbor is across the street from me, just a few doors down. She had her foot amputated from diabetes, walks on metal crutches which sink into soil, so she has no access to backyard. She either opens the backdoor or the window & throws food out to Lady & 4 or 5 other squirrels. In dry weather, Lady has no problem. Backyard is small. When rains are heavy, Lady falls face first into thick soil, therefore cannot get to thrown food. When the rain is heavy, food has to be at her tree. When I rec'd call to come over about this, I saw it happening. Lady is well adj. to missing leg but muddy soil is too much for her. I put the metal cookie sheet down, at the time, bec. I couldn't think of anything elst to do. I know this is not a solution. The tray moved around too much, but at least Lady ate it all. Neighbor lives alone, so I will be happy to do what is needed. I have no exp. w/squirrel feeder. From posts, it seems to be good idea. Where would I get it & how do I put it up. If you all feel that is best answer, should one be put in each tree to keep other squirrels from stealing Lady's food. Also, would seem that such a device would be good 24/7 solution for Lady since neighbor's eyes are also not good. Nuts, fruits, etc. that she throws out land i many out of way places. Lady is otherwise healthy, friendly squirrel who just wandered into this yard & is apparently there to stay. I appreciate your help since this "city-girl" has no exp. with such a problem

K—I’m so dumb, it can be as easy as screwing in a regular clear plastic cup to the tree that you will fill on inclement weather—no extra or fancy stuff needed, would that work? All you need is a a Solo plastic cup, one screw and a screw driver—simple—effective. Let me know your thoughts. OK, have to run!
    OK, coming back, you know like the clear cups you get from those fancy iced drink from Starbucks or even from 7-11... something like that, I like clear because you can see when you need to refill.
    OK-talk later seriously have to run.
    —E
    she wouldn't say,
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

K—I’m so dumb, it can be as easy as screwing in a regular clear plastic cup to the tree that you will fill on inclement weather—no extra or fancy stuff needed, would that work? All you need is a a Solo plastic cup, one screw and a screw driver—simple—effective. Let me know your thoughts. OK, have to run!
    OK, coming back, you know like the clear cups you get from those fancy iced drink from Starbucks or even from 7-11... something like that, I like clear because you can see when you need to refill.
    OK-talk later seriously have to run.
    PT. Yes, this is similar to what Min suggested (post under Diggie thread). She has had experience using round butter barrels screwed into trees. I do like the idea of something plastic, so I can see level of food. Ran out before & bought 2, butter holders. Am going to neighbor after w/screws & screwdriver to see exactly where I can place them. Min sugg. 1 for food & 1 for water. I would like to do this in a way that avoids using ladder, since I don't have steady surface, just soil. Hopefully, will be able to observe Lady's ability to eat from this. It's worth a try bec. is easier for me. All depends on Lady's ability to use. K

Up-date: Went to neighbor's backyard & screwed into tree, with 2 screws, as suggested by Min 1 plastic , round butter container filled w/nuts & pieces of fruit. A 2nd one was screwed in to hold water. I am 5feet, 3 in & put them as high above my head as possibe. Once again, am trying to do something that won't require ladder. Lady was on the ground, at a distance , but was watching. Went into house w/neighbor to observe if she would eat from it. Stayed for a while,but had to leave. Neighbor will let me know if this works for little Lady. So, pls. keep thinking about alternatives ie squirrel feeder, if this fails. I will be changing food daily. Thanks again for help.

PLEASE HELP. Container affixed to tree in above post, gave way & fell off tree. I can try another one with longer screws but with light rain now & heavier expected tonite, I'm worried about Lady falling into thick soil again & not getting food. If longer screws don't work, is there anything else I can try?

K—two thoughts. 1) Perhaps butter container needs a drainage hole(s) on the bottom, small, enough to allow the water to pass through so it won’t be too heavy. 2) Perhaps a plastic disposable cup would be lighter and if the screw is not too tight, you could tilt the cup slightly on the side, not too much, but like a finger width and also I would put at least one drain hole on the bottom. Does that all make sense and does it help you? You are too good to do this for Lady. K, Be well and stay dry.
    —E
    she wouldn't say,
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

Hi K! How do those suggestions sound? Don't forget to refresh your screen so we can chat!
    —E
    she wouldn't say,
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

K—Hi! I’m just going back a bit now to read what has been since Friday morning. You are good to do this for your neighbor and for Lady. I do believe a squirrel can get around well on three legs as I have seen it—it is unfortunate about the mud, have you considered finding some stones, rocks or something to place at the base of the tree as well? I'm trying to think about what can be placed at the base of tree so she will not fall into the mud...I guess if grass was there that would help, but it's not so no good. K, I see you are online right now, don't forget to refresh your screen and remember I'm a slow typer. I also would not worry about the water container as of yet.
    —E
    she wouldn't say,
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

K—two thoughts. 1) Perhaps butter container needs a drainage hole(s) on the bottom, small, enough to allow the water to pass through so it won’t be too heavy. 2) Perhaps a plastic disposable cup would be lighter and if the screw is not too tight, you could tilt the cup slightly on the side, not too much, but like a finger width and also I would put at least one drain hole on the bottom. Does that all make sense and does it help you? You are too good to do this for Lady. K, Be well and stay dry.
    PT: Sent you PM at same moment you posted this. Thank you so much for being there, as usual. Will make drainage hole. That makes sense. Will also get longer screws from hardware store. I mentioned my height in yesterday post bec. I not tall & ladder would be too dangerous in soil. Lady cannot go w/o getting to food. And taking her away as Nancy sugg. is not option. She & neighbor have bonded. Neighbor sits by open backdoor & Lady , before, rain, started to come closer. Lady gets around in every other way. Separation is not the way to go. I will keep at this until, her food needs in wet weather are met. Thank you again for helping us.

Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast