Thread: SPOT hair loss

dasie Guest

Question SPOT hair loss

I have a gray about 9 weeks he has lost all his white hair on his back still has short gray fur, tail is ok WHY????

Critter_Queen Guest

Default Re: SPOT hair loss

Do you have a picture you could post? Is he balding or maybe he's just shedding? Is it all over or just in patches? What does his skin look like?

dasie Guest

it started of in patches now its his from the neck to wher his tail starts. He has short fur all over no skin is showing. I was hoping that they shed do they need vitemens?

GhosTS Guest

They get the vitamins they need through their diet.What are you feeding him with.Hair loss can happen due to vitamin deficiencies.But for that to happen he must be in a wrong diet that has no fruit contents in it.

dasie Guest

I feed him all kinds of fruit and veggies, acorns,all kinds of nuts and seeds in and out of the shell i put pine cones in his cage too, so he can pick out the nuts.he is drinking goat milk 3 times a day i stoped putting heavy cream in it i though that might be it.

Any chance you could post a picture of him?
    It might help us work out what is wrong?
    Is the skin broken or inflamed at all? Any bumps or spots? Scabs?
    Is he itchy?

dasie Guest

no problems with his skin he is very healthy. I love all your videos how old is your squirrel. did you have him fixed, some one said if we keep ours we should do that. spot is a mama's boy he goes everywhere with me, when i call him he comes running im afraid to put him out side like you have I bet he will come right back. I cant waite to show my husben your videos tonight

Critter_Queen Guest

Can you switch him to Esbilac? That might be the problem. I don't think goat's milk has the right balance of nutrients. (I could be wrong, if I am someone PLEASE correct me, I don't want to give false info)

Squirrels do shed, but that doesn't sound like what you are seeing...a pic would be worth 1000 words in this case...

Is he itchy at all? Maybe alergies? (grasping here, my only thoughts are too many nuts/pecans or the esbilac vs. goat's milk)

GhosTS Guest

CQ..You can be right.Goats milk is not the perfect choice.It does have deficiencies.Esbilac or Fox Valley is the best.A pic is the best way to judge if it is diet related or parasite related.

Gabe Guest

Help! I'm having the same problem with a red squirrel. When she was admitted I thought it was a case of "kitten fur syndrome". The fur was sparse on the back, white underneath and very soft. She is continuing to loose her fur. Has red fur on head, all four feet and tail. The rest is short, white and has tufts of red hair on back, not really tufts, just a few strands. The squirrel is approx 6 weeks old. Fur is not coming out in chunks. She is on esbilac and all kinds of fruit, and kibble. Very active. Skin is clear.
    Just got two more unrelated red squirrels and they are doing the same thing. They were admitted like this, not as severe yet. It does not seem to be contagious as the first squirrel is in with a very healthy red squirrel. In all my years rehabbing I have never seen anything like this. Could it be something going around the squirrel community?

dasie Guest

Ill try to get a pitcher of spot to show you

Critter_Queen Guest

I wonder if this is the balding disease Thundersquirrel was referring to?

I will PM her and direct her to this thread. Until then, go here: http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=1948

Poor little squirrels...they're gonna need sweaters this winter!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.