Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Never ending wound problem!

PBluejay2 Guest

Default Re: Never ending wound problem!

My .02: I'm wondering if this could be some kind of bacterial or fungal infection. I'm also wondering, after viewing the pics on the thread you provided a link to, if squirrels can develop some form of eczema. Just thoughts.

Thank you Jill..

M.S. in squirrels.. ??
    Actually, this started at the beginning of September when i was still here, not in Cyprus. And regarding last week, her ecollar was on and she re-opened the area after i was back and took the ecollar off..

Quote Originally Posted by JLM27
    Wishing MIA speedy recovery!

Vas, is there any pattern to her doing this when you go away for a while? Has anyone heard of Munchhausen Syndrome in squirrels?

Open your heart,
    And push the limits..
    (Enigma)

Watch Mia nut hunting from water
    Online-Property-Shop

Hi PT..
    Josie doesn't clean her cage. It is only me, and when i do, i clean the base with hot water only.

I gave her couple of days when i was home during weekend, but she is extending it, i can say, it is bigger now.

I prepared 2 new ecollars which will be easier to put on and remove, so i can take it off when i am around and put back on easily when she will be alone. I will put one on tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointy Tale
    Vas—I am so sorry to read about Mia’s wound problem again. So happy to read about the OK from Cypress!

I have a thought, random but a thought nonetheless—keep in mind I do not know the history of the wound problem. Has this happened mostly when you leave and someone else takes care of her (something innocent like a new branch while you were away or toy perhaps), or after Josie comes to clean (maybe new cleaning solution), or maybe you changed your laundry detergent or soap? These are all just random thoughts

I am just wishing you all the best in the world for a speedy recovery for Mia so that she can return home with you to Cypress and then you can be the investigator that you need to be.

Best wishes to you both.

Open your heart,
    And push the limits..
    (Enigma)

Online-Property-Shop

Vas I am also out of ideas for you, but you've always got my prayers for Mia's permanent recovery from these troubles.....
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

At the very first time, the problem started exactly the same, at the same place. Then extended to stomach and then to the leg. I didn't know about ecollar then and i couldn't stop her chewing! I was putting medicine on, but wound was getting worse and worse, till the point she lost a toe and was about to lose her leg!

Am thinking of leaving ecollar on till area is back furry! will take it off from time to time when she is supervised but will leave it on till the day we all decide it is OK now.

I cannot think of anything else. Eczema, could it be ???

Quote Originally Posted by PBluejay2
    My .02: I'm wondering if this could be some kind of bacterial or fungal infection. I'm also wondering, after viewing the pics on the thread you provided a link to, if squirrels can develop some form of eczema. Just thoughts.

Open your heart,
    And push the limits..
    (Enigma)

Online-Property-Shop

hi:

so rescue remedy cream or the spray on the wound - maybe after it's healed so that it doesn't sting ...

or let her have drops of rescue remedy in her water.

All I can imagine is those parrots who keep plucking out their feathers.

Vas - I can't imagine your frustration in all this ... with so much going on ... I just can't imagine how you stay so sane and positive sounding ...

ps: i meant the rescue remedy cream put on the sore area .. many people have found it amazing for bites, burns and irritations and even diaper rash.

just my 1/2 cents worth.... i'll start pulling out my hair soon and join Mia.

Quote Originally Posted by PBluejay2
    If eczema how would you treat?
    —E
    “Why she Had to go I don't know,
    she wouldn't say,
    now I long for yesterday."
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his LIFE, his LOVE, his LEADER. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"—Unknown
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.

Ok, here we go..
    We are saying we should keep ecollar on till it is back furry, but i am NOT sure if this will solve the problem.
    Her leg was furry. But she bite and opened her leg.

Check her final pics attached. I took them before i put ecollar on.
    She opened this wound on the leg today. And leg was furry!

Now ecollar is on until the unknown time.
    I prepared 2, so i will change them in time, and i will try to give her supervised ecollar off time. But after wounds are closed.

I applied again the Iodine solution and then antibiotic powder. As i used to do before..

Do you think i should take her to the Vet ?
    Any test(s) you suggest me to ask him to do ?

Attached Images Attached Images     

Open your heart,
    And push the limits..
    (Enigma)

Online-Property-Shop

There is one more interesting detail/change about Mia.
    After i am back from Cyprus (Since 12th morning) i can clearly see change in the colour of her wee. It is not yellow or darker yellow, it is dark as brown, dark brown. (I can notice easily because she goes for wee in a pie dish with water inside)
    She has change in her diet, i mean mulberry branches and leaves.. and also acorns are given to her since 12th morning, and she LOVES them.

Do you think it is related to change in her diet ?
    I can say, her appetite is pretty good!! and she drinks plenty of water as well..

x

Open your heart,
    And push the limits..
    (Enigma)

Online-Property-Shop

Vas, not an expert obviously, but I have read somewhere that the acorns change the color of their urine, but I don't know where I read that, I'm sorry. Maybe a rehabber will answer soon. Best wishes to you.
    —E
    she wouldn't say,
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his LIFE, his LOVE, his LEADER. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"—Unknown
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.

PBluejay2 Guest

Yes, acorns can make their urine dark from the tannins in them and YES I would take her to a vet to see what he or she thinks might be the problem.

As always, I come at this from the parrot world, but I also see so many similarieties I can;t help but throw my $.02 in.

Rehabbers: do you ever see Giardia in squirrels? It is associated with contaminated water supplies (you see a lot of it in areas with pasture run off) but once there, it can lie dormant for a long time and then flare up. In humans it causes diarrhea, but when a parrot starts pluckiing and self mutilating, Giardia is one of the first things we tesy for. It apparently also causes itching (in birds it tends to be under the wings and across the chest).

It's a simple poop test, treatment is quite simple as well with meds that can be put in the water (very small amount in large quantity of water - I have never noticed that anyone could taste it). If she's going to the vet, you may want to ask.

She would not have had to recently come into contact with dirty water, either. Mama could have been shedding the virus and passed it on.

Again, I have no idea if squirrels can get this, and if so, how they present. But there is usually a physical reason why mutilating begins - it can become a habit, but it usually starts as some physical problem.

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom
    As always, I come at this from the parrot world, but I also see so many similarieties I can;t help but throw my $.02 in.

Rehabbers: do you ever see Giardia in squirrels? It is associated with contaminated water supplies (you see a lot of it in areas with pasture run off) but once there, it can lie dormant for a long time and then flare up. In humans it causes diarrhea, but when a parrot starts pluckiing and self mutilating, Giardia is one of the first things we tesy for. It apparently also causes itching (in birds it tends to be under the wings and across the chest).

It's a simple poop test, treatment is quite simple as well with meds that can be put in the water (very small amount in large quantity of water - I have never noticed that anyone could taste it). If she's going to the vet, you may want to ask.

She would not have had to recently come into contact with dirty water, either. Mama could have been shedding the virus and passed it on.

Again, I have no idea if squirrels can get this, and if so, how they present. But there is usually a physical reason why mutilating begins - it can become a habit, but it usually starts as some physical problem.
    CritterMom—Hi! I’m not a rehabber but found your information about Giardia in parrots fascinating, especially how they start plucking and self mutilating—I have read somewhere that it may actually be hard to detect Giardia in stool samples and that sometimes the treatment is based on the symptoms, is that true? Very good post by the way.
    —E
    she wouldn't say,
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

Well, it's a virus (like herpes) and the animal has to be shedding the virus for it to show up in the fecal sample. Many vets have you take multiple samples over a day's time to try to "catch" it. But the treatment is so benign that treating symptoms is not a problem.

This may be way off base, but if there is some physical reason why Mia is itching, all the e-collaring in the world won't stop it until the underlying problem is dealt with. A vet visit with some sking and fecal tests is certainly in order.

Mia has a skin allergy. Take her to the vet and they will give her prednisone. Forget the e-collar, how would you like to not be able to scratch an itch, it causes anxiety and more itching! Take her in ASAP or if you have any prednisone, 1mg twice a day for three days, then 1 mg once a day for three days, then 1 mg every other days for three days. If the skin condition starts again, begin the regime once again. Do not give her acorns, most squirrels only bury them for "just in case". If you want to give her nuts, give her hickory nuts if available.

Mia is lucky to have you care so much for her. I love the name Mia, I had a little dog named Mia that died at age 15 after I had her cataracts removed. I still miss her after 8 years!!! I thoughts and prayers are with you and Mia!

I think that she is itching too. Do you notice any redness before she starts biting? If she has eczema, she has an allergy. If it is contact dermatitis, it is something environmental that she is reacting to. It is interesting that it is always in the same spot. That sounds like eczema. I think a visit to the vet might help, especially if he or she thinks prednisone could work.

I had eczema when I was a baby, and my mother had to tie my hands down to keep me from scratching myself bloody. It would get infected, too, after I scratched it open. The doctor would shine an ultraviolet light on it. I'm not sure what that did or even if it helped. It's just my recollection. I was born with eczema, and back then there were no magic medications.

Is there any pattern to the time of year? Maybe the vet can culture it to see if there are any underlying infections.

Poor little MIa! I am so sorry that she continues to have this problem. I pity her, and you because I know you must be pretty disheartened by now.

PBluejay2 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pointy Tale
    If eczema how would you treat?
    From Webmd:

What Is the Treatment for Eczema? continued...
    Over-the-counter products -- such as hydrocortisone -- or prescription creams and ointments containing stronger corticosteroids are often prescribed to reduce inflammation. For severe cases, your doctor may prescribe short courses of oral corticosteroids. In addition, if the affected area becomes infected, your doctor may prescribe antibiotics to kill the infection-causing bacteria.

Other eczema treatments include antihistamines to reduce severe itching, tar treatments (chemicals designed to reduce itching), phototherapy (therapy using ultraviolet light applied to the skin), and the drug cyclosporine for people whose condition doesn't respond to other treatments.

The FDA has approved two drugs known as topical immunomodulators (TIMs) for the treatment of moderate eczema. The drugs, Elidel and Protopic, are skin creams that work by altering the immune system response to prevent flare-ups.

On March 10, 2005, the FDA warned doctors to prescribe Elidel and Protopic with caution due to concerns over a possible cancer risk associated with their use.

As of January 2006, these two creams carry the FDA's strongest "black box" warning on their packaging to alert doctors and patients to these potential risks. The warning advises doctors to prescribe short-term use of Elidel and Protopic only after other available eczema treatments have failed in adults and children over the age of 2.

How Can Eczema Flare-ups Be Prevented?
    Eczema outbreaks can usually be avoided or the severity lessened by following these simple tips.

Moisturize frequently
    Avoid sudden changes in temperature or humidity
    Avoid sweating or overheating
    Reduce stress
    Avoid scratchy materials, such as wool
    Avoid harsh soaps, detergents, and solvents
    Avoid environmental factors that trigger allergies (for example, pollen, mold, dust mites, and animal dander)

Vas, Hi! How is Princess Mia doing? I hope all is well or at least getting better!
    —E
    she wouldn't say,
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

Vasm while I was thinking about Mia I remembered that I have a friend who spent time in India as a child and came back with a fungal infection on her forehead that she couldn't get rid of for years and years (we're talking decades here). She just thought it was dermatitis and every so often it broke out and tormented her with intense itching. Finally, a doctor picked up on her history and gave her one of those fungicides that one takes orally to eradicate a fungus systematically, from the inside out. It went away and never returned. I forget what the medicine was, but I had to take it once myself for a persistent fungal infection that could not be addressed once and for all topically. Perhaps a vet could help with this.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast