Thread: Degloved Tail with 2"-3" of Bone Exposed

elizalalala Guest

Default Degloved Tail with 2"-3" of Bone Exposed

I am not sure if this is life-threatening or not. I decided better safe than sorry so if it isn't, I hope it is okay I posted it here.

I just went on a 4 day vacation and another rehabber kept my animals for me while I was gone. During my absence, one of my squirrels was degloved of about 2"-3" of his tail. He's about 8-9 weeks old so his tail was pretty full. The rehabber didn't know how he ended up degloved, so I'll just focus on the solution.

The thing that concerns me is although the muscle and hair was removed, the bone/spine for the tip of the tail remains exposed. I only got him back today and it happened a couple days ago. I was under the impression his tail was completely removed, but when I saw it today I realized the bone was still there. I don't know that she (the other rehabber) could have treated it anyway since he had escaped inside her house and she wasn't able to catch him. Fortunately he recognized my voice and came right to me when I got there to pick him up. He seems to have been too traumatized to trust her after his tail incident.

Is the bone that is exposed dead now? Does it need to be removed or will it just fall off? If the bone is dead, will it spread up the rest of his tail and his spine? Does he need antibiotics or any other medication? Advice would be most appreciated.

Default Re: Degloved Tail with 2"-3" of Bone Exposed

My Zag's had a bone exposed. She's a wild, but I kept a watch and with a couple weeks, the end of the bone part had dropped off and hair had poofed around to protect the area.

i am so much more than a body.

every moment is an opportunity to begin recovery.

today is tomorrow's history.,

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mrs. Jack from:

Joyce&Apple (09-25-2020)

heidiann Guest

My Nubs, has the same situation. The bone has become brittle now and I assume the same will happen to him. He's been like this for over 2 weeks now. The injury happened when my stupid Brother-in-law was moving the woodpile that he was found in and tried to catch him by the tail. Makes me wan't to pull off the end of one of his appendages and see how he likes it. Nubs was very docile (probably traumatized) compared to the others but he seems to be becoming more playfull and active now. I'm sure your baby will be fine.

It's not a big worry, one of the wild squirrels that visits me only has half a tail and goes under the name of 'Half-Tail' and she's just as lively as ever! I dunno how she lost part of her tail, but I would say that at least now, you have a means for identification.

Here's Half-Tail commandeering the windowsill here (I must say, my windowsill is a popular place now.. lol.. got magpies, bluetits, sparrows and allsorts stopping by for a fill-up!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL7Wn-whj0U

http://www.youtube.com/audiocoffee - videos confirming just how nuts I am

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Abi from:

Joyce&Apple (09-25-2020)

YamahaGirl Guest

Question Re: Degloved Tail with 2"-3" of Bone Exposed

OMG...I am soo glad I just found this thread, this JUST happened to my male! I dont know what happened, they are out in the outdoor cage right now and I heard him whimpering a bit and I went out there and there is about 2-3" of bone exposed on the end of his tail. He is no longer whimpering. I am afraid of infection.

The end of his tail, the exposed part has dust and debris on it, maybe leave particles or something..

Do I just leave it alone? Or do I try and wash it off with saline and betadine??

He is extemely independant unlike his sister that I also have, he has just about weaned himself off formula and wants nothing to do with being held or caught or anything.

If I just leave him be will he be ok?

elizalalala Guest

I'm glad my thread is helpful to you too, YamahaGirl! I hope you have good luck with yours.

I discovered today that instead of the dead bone breaking and falling off, his bone DID break but it broke about a 1/2cm into the "good" part of the tail, where there is flesh and fur. Now he has a break you can feel under the skin/muscle/fur on his tail, and it is hanging to the side with the dead bone still attached to it as well. Any suggestions?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.