Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for rehabber around Queens, NYC

Default Looking for rehabber around Queens, NYC

I have found a baby squirrel in Queens NY and would like to get in touch with a rehabber around this area. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Looking for rehabber around Queens, NYC

Hi, can you please sign back on, I am getting you so information.
    —E
    “Why she Had to go I don't know,
    she wouldn't say,
    now I long for yesterday."
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his LIFE, his LOVE, his LEADER. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"—Unknown
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.

Hi, I'm a slow typer, I think I know who your rehabber is, hold on and refresh your screen a bit, OK?
    —E
    she wouldn't say,
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his LIFE, his LOVE, his LEADER. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"—Unknown
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.

Is the baby injured? How old? Please keep it warm, dark and quiet, I'm not a rehabber, one should be here soon.
    —E
    she wouldn't say,
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

Hang tight, someone will be here shortly. Please just refresh your screen from time to time, I am looking for someone right now, OK. Please stay online.
    —E
    she wouldn't say,
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

The info i gave might have been too vague. From what I see i believe that it shouldn't be classified as a baby it looks to be around 8-10 weeks old. It seems to be injured in one of its front legs. I haven't been able to capture it yet cause it hides under cars.

Do you have a picture of the baby?

Do you think you can trap it with like a blanket or something and think fleece or cotton t-shirt before like a towel.

Or a have a heart cage?

Or another member, suggested bribing it with food?

Just keep refreshing your screen ok!
    —E
    she wouldn't say,
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

What do you think is wrong with the front leg?
    —E
    she wouldn't say,
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

I tried bribing it with food which didn't work, I was able to get it to drink some water though. I tried to trap it with a towel but it was struggling so hard i thought it might get hurt. I will try to get a picture of it. It seems to be hurt in general, not quite sure what the exact injury is though. It has a sibling which is on a tree in front of my house and this one seems unable to climb the tree because it hangs around the base of it.

OK, so are you going to get the picture now? I will wait if you want me to? What do you think is wrong with the leg, can you see it? If you capture, do you have a box with a lid with holes in it.

Don't forget to refresh your screen, ok.
    —E
    she wouldn't say,
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

For now I'm not sure where it has wandered off to. But I will try to get a pic of it and capture it asap I will let you know if i have made any progress. Thank You for your help so far.

When getting ready to trap please be prepared with some kind of a fleece or tshirt to keep warm until you can get to the rehabber.

Always think:

WARM, DARK, QUIET

You can also make a "rice buddy" will explain later, OK.

Do NOT try to feed the squirrel, the squirrel should be kept warm, especially if injured.

Make sure you have a box or a cat carrier or something like that? Do you have something like that?
    —E
    she wouldn't say,
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

I was planning to use a shoe box, do you think that would work?

Another member suggested that although the squirrel would fit, it would not be the best, to confined. It should be something like a cat carrier, do you have something like that?
    —E
    she wouldn't say,
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

No, i do not have a cat carrier.

So like do you have a rubbermaid container, or like a big plastic container WITH LOTS OF HOLES like the size of like a xerox box... something like that? And it must Have HOLES, LOTS OF HOLES, did I say HOLES
    —E
    she wouldn't say,
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

Is this squirrel located at a Park?
    —E
    she wouldn't say,
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

I believe i have a xerox box. Were not quite located at a park but this is a big place with a lot of trees.

Well a xerox box would only be very Short term, he/she could chew their way through it.

I was only asking about the park, because we have another member in Queens and thought she could help, but she's not online anyway.
    —E
    she wouldn't say,
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

It is getting dark now, do you see the squirrel anymore? Or a general idea of where he/she may have went?
    —E
    she wouldn't say,
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast