Thread: urinary tract infection?

Default urinary tract infection?

I think Kibbles may have a UTI. She's been dragging her little bottom and her pee looks dark. My kitty vet won't treat her and it's Sunday so nobody's open at all. She won't take formula anymore but does drink water (I see her drinking frequently so I'm guessing she gets enough). Since she eats real food now, is there a food that could be giving her the dark pee? She was just introduced to broccoli and loves the stuff. Could the dark pee be broccoli related? If she needs an antibiotic, I have azithromycin on hand--keep it for my chickens. HELP please. She's playing, eating, drinking and pooping but I know how I feel with a UTI. Don't want her to feel like that.

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

Default Re: urinary tract infection?

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenlegs
    I think Kibbles may have a UTI. She's been dragging her little bottom and her pee looks dark. My kitty vet won't treat her and it's Sunday so nobody's open at all. She won't take formula anymore but does drink water (I see her drinking frequently so I'm guessing she gets enough). Since she eats real food now, is there a food that could be giving her the dark pee? She was just introduced to broccoli and loves the stuff. Could the dark pee be broccoli related? If she needs an antibiotic, I have azithromycin on hand--keep it for my chickens. HELP please. She's playing, eating, drinking and pooping but I know how I feel with a UTI. Don't want her to feel like that.
    cranberries or juice of!
    maybe the change in her diet, solids.
    someone will be on soon!
    i would not worry unless she is really acting lethargic or DIFFERENT, even acorns discolor urine...
    i would hold off on that med, I am not sure what that is! Maybe someone else can advise better!
    good luck!

Default Re: urinary tract infection?

Thanks Jackie. Wonder if crazins will do in a pinch. Fresh cranberries are hard to come by in these parts till closer to Christmas. Off to get cranberry juice! Azithromycin is a powerful broad spectrum antibiotic. It's saved many a chicken from dirty wounds--most recently a girl at a friends farm who was savaged by a dog. It's miracle stuff fer sure but like any antibiotic has it's side effects and I don't know what the dose would be for a tiny squirrel--well--certainly not as tiny as she WAS--but still smaller than the nice fat squirrels in the yard and muuuuch smaller than my big girls (chickens). Thank you so much for your really speedy reply. Kibbles is the first baby squirrel I've raised from a worm and she's mighty special to me. Of course for all of us who are addicted to these remarkable critters, every squirrel is a special squirrel.