Thread: Thinking of Raising That Baby Yourself? READ THIS

Hybrid View

Default Re: Thinking of Raising That Baby Yourself? READ THIS

IR...this posting is excellent. People will still do what they want though thinking that you are trying to scare them into releasing it...if they only knew. There are never vacations either as a family since you can't travel with a squirrel and who will watch him when you're gone?
    The cost is astronomical when you tally up everything needed...
    They usually become attached to only one member of the family...
    They do end up biting, sometimes through hard play and sometimes because they are just mad...the list goes on and on

But you know what I think the saddest thing that is going to happen is...these people will not heed the warnings, they will keep them for a while and if the little one survives...when it grows up and becomes aggressive or antsy...they will just open the door and say good bye and be glad to get rid of it. Just look at how many millions of animals... cats and dogs that are in the shelter that people intentionally purchased and then decided it doesn't fit their life style, or they can't afford it....This is exactly what will happen to these babies...the only difference is it won't have a chance to be humanely euthanized or adopted out...

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

Rocky102014 (03-18-2022)

I'd also add:

Are you prepared, LATER ON as the squirrel wilds up (as will 999/1000) and needs to be released into the wild, to put your feelings for your baby aside and let it live outdoors as Mother Nature intended?
    + =

"Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?"
    -Gimli, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Ardilla from:

Rocky102014 (03-18-2022)

And you are not kidding about the expense either. And I for sure did the emergency pedialyte run, the esbilac run, the whole 9 yards. Even took him to the vet yesterday for a Well Squirrel Check up.

I was very glad to do it and would do it again, but in the short time that Rodney was with us (about 6 weeks) , we spent over $600 total on him.
    $35 at the vet
    $30 medium bird cage off craigslist (with great toys btw)
    $60 big cage from the feed store
    (both used)
    $300 for materials for the big release cage we built (took 3 days total to complete it, including setting up the inside with branches, benches etc)
    Esbilac, veggies, Henry's Healthy Blocks and vitamins, cuttle bones, dishes for the cages, chewproof water bottles, ferret hammocks, baby blankies for the cat carrier, heating pads etc

it easily added up to over $600

the love of a squirrel - priceless

he taught me so much, and I am now connected with Wildlife Rescue Coalition here in Jax and getting 3 babies in the morning.

But raising a squirrel, much less keeping one long term (or trying to) is no proposition to enter half-assed.

6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rodney Ro-Dent:

JoanP (05-08-2017), KCullen (05-06-2021), WilliamH4 (11-06-2017)

virgo062 Guest

Rodne Ro-Dent ...May I add also be prepared to have your heart broken when something goes wrong or when it's time to release these critters. Thanks for this post

Quote Originally Posted by virgo062
    Rodne Ro-Dent ...May I add also be prepared to have your heart broken when something goes wrong or when it's time to release these critters. Thanks for this post
    Been there already unfortunately. The real Rodney died yesterday morning, he fell in his release cage and apparently broke his neck. Not only am I heartbroken, I am devastated.
    But I don't want Rodney's death to be in vain, and I want to use what he taught me to help other squirrels that need it.