Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traumatized young adult - opinions

ShesASquirrelyGirl Guest

Default Traumatized young adult - opinions

I got a call last night and picked up a juvenile. Apparently the SQ fell from the tree into the mouths of 4 dogs and was shaken quite a bit. Then ran under some bushes. Lady let it run off and locked the dogs up figuring it would just die. Checked on it later and it was still there under the bushes. She trapped it in a box and left it on the other side of the fence where the dogs were barking loudly and called me. Luckily there are no obvious injuries or wounds but I fear a broken rib or something due to more of a labored breath then normal. She also has a slight URI as well as some blood in her nose due to either falling or trauma from being shaken, so that could be it as well. She was given dex and is on TMS for the infection. I gave her a bit more dex today. I know she has to be sore and swelling from being shaken. I am taking her to work Tues to be X rayed. The thing is she is severely traumatized and does the grunt/whine warning noise at everything including nothing. Sometimes she will just start out of the blue and lung at the air or like she see's something and tries to attack it. She is in a quiet room with nothing but a very quiet baby squirrel under her which she cannot see. Anyone ever deal with a squirrel this traumatized? Does anyone know if rescue remedy can be given with dex in her system?
    She took water willingly yesterday but will not take anything since. Won't touch almonds, won't take formula etc. I am going to have to force her to drink/eat or she will have to be on fluids soon. If I hold her in a fleece and talk or try to feed her she sometimes snaps out of it and stops grunting. I pet her head and she will close her eyes and stop grunting almost in comfort but lunges if I put her down.
    Any more ideas on how to calm her down?

PBluejay2 Guest

Default Re: Traumatized young adult - opinions

It sounds like this baby is simply scared out of its mind. The great thing is that it didn;t go into shock. I'm not sure how old of a squirrel we're talking about, but if it's a "young adult," it's probably lost ANY inclination to be friendly with people. I had an injured adult like this a while back. It NEVER lost any of its fear or wildness. Ultimately, however, the wounds healed, and when released it bolted with no looking back. I think you're doing all you can do--quiet, low light preferably. Unless it's wounded worse than you suspect, I've yet to see a squirrel starve itself to death. I'd provide it with a good variety of foods to munch at will 24/7. I'd also handle it as little as possible. Unfortunately, I've had a couple die in my hands not from their injuries but from the stress. Sorry I'm not much help.

hello rescue remedy will help.no signs of puncture wounds??

Homeopathy that will help calm her is Aconite 30C for shock and to calm her down . Ledum will also help if there is puncture wounds. Arnica and Hypericum will help as she had a fall (for trauma) There are 2 other she can have for bruising but I cant remember at the moment. I can send you Arnica but being labor day. U shd be able to get Arnica montana from health food shop. if they are homeo prep dont touch with your hands. PM me if you want more info

if you dont think she is in immediate danger, PM me so that I can get info and send meds to you

bellis perennis is good for brusing. Symptum officinalis is good for healing bones and calc phos for bone fractures

leave it some grapes so that it will get some moisture. The less you handle the better but if you have to, make sure you cover the face with a pc of fleece, exposing only the mouth. this helps sometimes. Oh make sure you keep her in a dark room for a few days it wont harm and in fact better for her and make sure where you keep her is the quietess part of the room

Tomo Guest

I have dealt with this and after a dog attack, even without any punctures, there could be vestibular and vision issues. She may not be hearing or seeing that well right now, hence the growling at everything and nothing; she can't tell what is or is not there. Have you checked her pupils for reflexes - dilating or not? Dex may not be all that is needed. Meclazine may be appropriate if she appears dizzy.

Standard rules apply, quiet, dim light and warm. You most likely will have to force feed her until she feels confident enough to feed herself. If she is dizzy from internal trauma, she won't want to eat or drink right now until that stops.

For my injuried babies, I carry them around in a ferret knapsack that is worn on the front of the body; they love the motion and being close. This may work for her since she loves you handling her, but doesn't like it when you put her down.

ShesASquirrelyGirl Guest

I have Arnica here but she is already on Dex, I am not sure if I can give her Rescue remedy while the dex is in her system. I also have metacam for pain if needed. Any script meds I can usually get from work. I guess my main question is does anyone know if RR can be given with DEX.

PBlueJay, thanks. She is still young, but probably just learning how to leave the nest on her own. Honestly the only time she stops the grunting is if I hold her in a fleece against my chest and coddle her. If I hold her in the fleece she will give me the arm lift to scratch the chest and close her eyes go to sleep , she then calms down and sleeps but its as soon as I put her back she starts again. She doesn't really fear me, its when I leave her alone she starts grunting and whining and lunging at nothing. When I first saw her in the box she made noises but didn't move or lunge until I physically touched her. I am actually beginning to wonder if she was shaking so hard she is blind or seeing things.
    She is also not a typical grey. Looks like a fox sq I think. I will upload pics in a while. I have had reds, greys, and blacks not fox, never really see them by me so not sure if she is a fox or just a weird mutation/dark phase.

ShesASquirrelyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tomo
    I have dealt with this and after a dog attack, even without any punctures, there could be vestibular and vision issues. She may not be hearing or seeing that well right now, hence the growling at everything and nothing; she can't tell what is or is not there. Have you checked her pupils for reflexes - dilating or not? Dex may not be all that is needed. Meclazine may be appropriate if she appears dizzy..
    Hey Tomo!! Havent talked to you in a while. This is exactly what I am thinking right now. Her eyes aren't normal looking right now. I am trying to find my mini flash light since my regular light the batteries died.
    Believe it or not I have Meclizine 25 mg here cause of my Vertigo. Do you know the dosage?
    BHO I appreciate all the herbal info. I know most of it , I am just not sure if it can be given with Dex at the same time. I specialize in rehabbing squirrels and am a vet tech, I know all about keeping them quiet etc. She is not a normal squirrel I can leave alone right now. Also I just forced about 5 cc's FV. Trust me whatever she needs medically she will get it, I am just trying to figure out what, and what can be used together. Don't want her to have reactions from so many diff drugs at once. Even though its herbal its still dangerous to mix.

ShesASquirrelyGirl Guest

Here are some pics. Is she a fox or just a just a cross mutation of some sort?
    Most of the darker mutated squirrels which we call Smudges have a lot of grey in them not red.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

try molasses on her gums...if possible...or dilute and syringe feed
    good luck
    i do not know about the RR and dex

the homeopathy prep will not interfere with the other meds. Shd be OK to give them to her.

Give her a drop of RR, it shd be fine and if you have aconite and arnica 30C you can give her 1 each as well. HTHs. she is so sweet. look almost like a little black bear but not quite there. If she is calm with you holding her then i guess no reason why you cant do that.

GB

ShesASquirrelyGirl Guest

Thanks Jacky she already had dextrose on the gums, and I got some formula into her she is just fighting eating anything.

sorry I shd rephrase myself, I meant to say it is OK to give her a drop of RR and the aconite and arnica. However, the final decision is yours to make since she is with you and you know best how she is. GB

PBluejay2 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ShesASquirrelyGirl
    I have Arnica here but she is already on Dex, I am not sure if I can give her Rescue remedy while the dex is in her system. I also have metacam for pain if needed. Any script meds I can usually get from work. I guess my main question is does anyone know if RR can be given with DEX.

PBlueJay, thanks. She is still young, but probably just learning how to leave the nest on her own. Honestly the only time she stops the grunting is if I hold her in a fleece against my chest and coddle her. If I hold her in the fleece she will give me the arm lift to scratch the chest and close her eyes go to sleep , she then calms down and sleeps but its as soon as I put her back she starts again. She doesn't really fear me, its when I leave her alone she starts grunting and whining and lunging at nothing. When I first saw her in the box she made noises but didn't move or lunge until I physically touched her. I am actually beginning to wonder if she was shaking so hard she is blind or seeing things.
    She is also not a typical grey. Looks like a fox sq I think. I will upload pics in a while. I have had reds, greys, and blacks not fox, never really see them by me so not sure if she is a fox or just a weird mutation/dark phase.

Okay--I was thinking older. Nix my first response, but her eyes don't look good to me in the pics.

ShesASquirrelyGirl Guest

They aren't good. I have a feeling she may be blind.

PBluejay2 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ShesASquirrelyGirl
    They aren't good. I have a feeling she may be blind.
    That would certainly account for her behavior. I hope it isn't the case.

ShesASquirrelyGirl Guest

Yup this is what I am leaning towards, if not blind then going or partially.

ShesASquirrelyGirl Guest

Ok Scratch that. She moved her head when I moved my fingers in different directions and her pupils react to the flashlight. She is just severely traumatized or seeing things.

Is her left eye a little cloudy, or do you think that is just the picture being a little fuzzy?

ShesASquirrelyGirl Guest

They are not cloudy. They aren't crystal clear or "bright" but they just don't look healthy. Thats just a reflection you are seeing.

Hi Squerlygirl,

Just wantd to say she is a regular grey.I have tons of them where I live,but foxers do not live here.I call them brownies,and the ones that visit the backyard as well as the orphans I have raised are just the sweetest and friendliest ever.
    Best of luck with your precious little one, she is adorable.Sorry I can't add anything to the wonderful suggestions you have already gotten,other than I would probly give her the metacam for sure,assuming she has to have pain after all that and the relaxing/sedating effect would probably help her.
    Watermelon is good too, they all seem to like it and it contains so much water it's a good hydrater.
    Lots of to little brownface

Kat, owned by Andi
    Kat, owned by Andi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDMNuKWPnTQ

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
    -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.