Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25333435

Thread: Example of importance of keeping dogs leashed.

mindy65 Guest

Default Re: Example of importance of keeping dogs leashed.

Katherine, That is AWFUL. So so so sorry. Glad the guy got a ticket but can't believe that he would do that. So glad they have you to give them a proper burial. Still it makes me cry. Poor babies. min

Quote Originally Posted by mindy65
    Katherine, That is AWFUL. So so so sorry. Glad the guy got a ticket but can't believe that he would do that. So glad they have you to give them a proper burial. Still it makes me cry. Poor babies. min
    I washed the remains of Face and Paws. I put each in a metal box with what was left of them wrapped in fleece. Tomorrow, I will bury them next to my Diggie. At least, they are in a better place now.

I'm so sorry. What is WRONG with people! Why would that guy think a leash law is for everybody BUT him? Sweet dreams little ones. God bless.

Today, I buried Face and Paws, next to my Diggie. They are in the backyard of Helen, mommie of Viv, who at one time was a park squirrel She watched, and I believe she knows her little friends are there. The sadness and tragedy of their deaths at the hands of unleashed dogs is overwhelming. As long as the owners continue to disobey the law, I fear there will be more senseless deaths.
    I would like to mention, here, that I also lost my little gecko, Leo, this afternoon. I took Leo from the local pet store owner who would not care for him. The vet told me that his chances of surviving a severe upper respiratory infection were slim. Sadly, he was right. Little Leo stopped breathing in my hand, this afternoon.
    Tomorrow, I will bury Leo next to his squirrel brothers.

RIP, all my little angels.

I went around the park today, putting down nuts, as usual. We've had frigid weather, here, but the sun is out. There is a sadness. The loss of Face & Paws. Of course, my Diggie is always in my mind. It is important for me to remember that they are in a better place now.
    I also remember that there are many furballs here. Nothing cheers me up like seeing them hop around, esp on such a cold day because so few people are there. Made my way over to Eve. She saw me & came running. What a terrific feeling. Who could not smile at that little sweetie. Of course, she was expecting & rec'd some nuts. Still refuses hazelnuts (a young lady is entitled to be picky). I sat on the bench. Put a piece of avocado-she jumped up & back down with it in her mouth. She ate in front of me. I then put expected little piece of apple on bench, nearer to me. Eve jumped up, ate it near me. I always talk to her. She finished eating & stayed on bench for a while. This made me feel so good-she trusts me. While we were interacting, I could see Chris (mate or sibling, I don't know), still at a distance but eating the nuts I put down. The sun was shining & I was sitting next to Eve. Does it get any better? Had to leave. Eve jumped down & I said good-bye. I think she knows I'll be back..

Scrapsmommy Guest

Hi Katherine
    I have not posted or been on TSB in months, so today is the first time i read your thread and I read every post from 1 till just now and i fell in love with Diggie and Viv and Lady and I will tell you I cried when I read about Diggie and I am crying now over your loss of Face and Paws. I know nature gives and takes, but when their poor little lives are taken because of peoples stupidity it is a bitter pill to swallow. I am so sorry for your losses, but i do think that you are a wonderful woman who has opened her heart to these wonderful little critters and their lives were better for having known and loved you. I cant wait to read more about Eve and Chris and your other little friends. Thank you so much for sharing with all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrapsmommy
    Hi Katherine
    I have not posted or been on TSB in months, so today is the first time i read your thread and I read every post from 1 till just now and i fell in love with Diggie and Viv and Lady and I will tell you I cried when I read about Diggie and I am crying now over your loss of Face and Paws. I know nature gives and takes, but when their poor little lives are taken because of peoples stupidity it is a bitter pill to swallow. I am so sorry for your losses, but i do think that you are a wonderful woman who has opened her heart to these wonderful little critters and their lives were better for having known and loved you. I cant wait to read more about Eve and Chris and your other little friends. Thank you so much for sharing with all of us.
    Scrapsmommy: Thank you so much for posting. What happened to Diggie, Face & Paws at the hands of stupid humans who failed to keep their dogs leashed is tragic. I'm afraid that as long as leash laws are not obeyed, deaths will continue.
    Eve and Chris and the other furballs are just delightful. I look forward to your posting.

Today, was a hectic day for me, so I was only able to go to the park once. As I put down a large supply of nuts at each tree base, I was given dirty looks. Squirrelly friends are used to 2xday. They just were not interest in any excuses..
    Little Eve was much more understanding. I gave her a pecan, avocado piece & almond. She ate all 3 on the bench with me. She's moving in closer. After she ate, she stayed & I was looking around at how baron the park looks. It is nice to see the sun setting later each day. The temp was 30-absolutely balmy, after highs in the low 20's.
    I said good-night to little Eve & watched her go up to her cavity..

Went over to park, as usual, to put down nuts at regular places. Today, is cold but clear. There was a lot of activity going on, whole bunch of furballs running around. Went over to Eve's area. Have only been able to go once daily lately. As I approached, I saw the little sweetie & called. She came over for her nuts. Her favorite of the past week is pecan. Eve changes regularly but that is a young lady's right. Tried piece of pear & she enjoyed that while sitting on the bench. It's so nice to have her next to me. Told her I couldn't stay long-much to do. She looked at me, not too happy. Told her I'd be back before sunset.
    As I was walking away, I turned & saw her being chased around a tree by a male squirrel from the tree next to her's. I think I need to be going more often to supervise.
    Are there park pinkies on the way...

Valentine's Day in the park.
    I felt it time to update this thread. First, to remember the loss of my beloved Diggie on December 19 and then Face & Paws on Jan 29. All were murdered by unleashed dogs. It is important to remember not to blame the dogs, but the stupid, uncaring humans who fail to keep their dogs leashed. Also, those people who were there each time & didn't care because, they were "just squirrels".
    RIP: Diggie, Face & Paws.

I was also there, as I am just about every day except the day of the storm, last week when I just could not get there. In these past days, the park has a plow go thru the central path, but the smaller paths & bench areas are not cleared. I would go in & throw nuts in the general areas near the trees, hoping the squirrels would find them. I could not get near sweet little Eve, my new squirrelly friend, but she saw me & each day, I could see her & she me. Today, I was surprised & happy to see a bunch of neighbors who live right across from the park volunteer in there with shovels. They cleared the jogging paths & the areas in front of all the benches. Since I am known to all the regulars, I asked one man if he would mind clearing the way to Eve's tree. He was very happy to help. Now I could get to my sweetie. Thank you sir, for helping me. Well, I was so excited, I went to the tree, called out & down came Eve. She came over to me. I bent down & talked to her, & of course, fed her. Then, I went & sat on the bench, wondering if she would come. It's been a while bec of the storm. She came right over. I put her piece of apple on the bench. She jumped up, ate it & then another. She moved very close to me & I was the happiest person in the world. My little squirrelly pal & I are reunited.
    Dear Lord, please protect little Eve and all the other park squirrels from humans who don't care and don't think. Amen.

Adoresquirrels Guest

Amen

virgo062 Guest

Kathering you are are making a difference...

Adoresquirrels & virgo062: Thank you. This thread carries with it my happiest & saddest moments. Diggie, who will be gone 2 mos on Thu, along with Face & Paws were murdered by dog owners who let their dogs off the leash.
    I do have, though, wonderful memories that will always be with me. I, of course, have my new little friend, Eve. Also, this is the only bit of nature I have. Here, i can relax, make sure the squirrels are fed & watch them in their natural environment.
    We all know how great it is to watch squirrelly antics. Nothing gives me greater pleaure than to see little Eve jump on the bench & sit near me.
    mjs

I went around the park, as I do every morning, putting nuts at tree bases. I wanted to spend a little more time with Eve. The past few days have been hectic & I just haven't been able to be with her too long. Well, this morning, as I approached the tree, I was delighted to see Eve & right behind her, for the 1st time was Chris. He stayed behind Eve, but this was the only time he has come close After feeding them, little Eve gave me my second surprise. As I walked to the bench, she jumped on there, ahead of me. That warrented extra treats. So, she had a macedamia nut, 1 piece of apple & avocado. Of course, we sat & discussed the economy until it was time for me to go. Is there a better way to start a day?

mjs mjs

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine
    Of course, we sat & discussed the economy until it was time for me to go. Is there a better way to start a day?
    If people were more like squirrels, saving for the long winter and the rainy days, the economy would be in much better shape than it is now.
    A perfect way to start a sunny day in NYC.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Katherine, it's so nice to read about someone who cares so much about the little furballs. Eve and gang are so lucky to have you there providing them with food/nuts during these cold/snowy times.
    I tend to do same theing, shovel a little path to the tree that most of them hang out in and then place a variety of nuts/squirrel blocks there. An as expected, the squirrel blocks are the last to go.
    I still have people routinely walk their dogs (unleashed) in the church across the street from me. They just don't seem to get it, even when the dogs get excited and run away into the street, they still continue to walk them this way. The squirrels always run in that area too because it's open and has trees. So many times I have had to talk them down a tree because of a dog chasing them up. They just sit up there shaking.
    As stated earlier, so very sorry about the loss of those beautiful squirrels you cared for.

Quote Originally Posted by tomcics
    Katherine, it's so nice to read about someone who cares so much about the little furballs. Eve and gang are so lucky to have you there providing them with food/nuts during these cold/snowy times.
    I tend to do same theing, shovel a little path to the tree that most of them hang out in and then place a variety of nuts/squirrel blocks there. An as expected, the squirrel blocks are the last to go.
    I still have people routinely walk their dogs (unleashed) in the church across the street from me. They just don't seem to get it, even when the dogs get excited and run away into the street, they still continue to walk them this way. The squirrels always run in that area too because it's open and has trees. So many times I have had to talk them down a tree because of a dog chasing them up. They just sit up there shaking.
    As stated earlier, so very sorry about the loss of those beautiful squirrels you cared for.
    Thanks so much, tomcics. I'll bet the squirrels are anxiously awaiting your arrival as you shovel a path to their tree. It's nice to meet someone who does the same thing. People unleashing their dogs are a never ending problem that only leads to tragedy. It's so nice of you to talk the squirrels down. It's sad to see them so scared & shaking. Squirrlies gave us so much pleasure. It makes my day to see their antics & have Eve sit on the bench with me.

Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25333435