Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I've a new squirrel I am concerned about.

Critter_Queen Guest

Default Re: I've a new squirrel I am concerned about.

figures, doesn't it?? Doesn't he know he's LATE?!?!

Brain tumors suck...no doubt about it. Hopefully that's not what it is. IF it is, find out if it can be treated, even temporarily, with dexamethasone (sp?). That's what my dad was on to keep his brain from swelling from the tumor. Worked great short-term...but the long-term side effects are nasty.

Good luck, Mrs. J...we're all rootin' for ya!

I had observed her for about a month before I got to bring her in. I wanted to bring her in the first time I saw her but couldn't figure out how. I wanted to see how she would do on her own first. See how she was doing. She would jump for trees and miss them all together. SHe walked like she was really drunk. the first day I saw her like that I assumed that she had eaten fermented fruit or something but when it continued for days to come I knew something serious was wrong. I guess the final deciding moment to bring her in was when she fell 15 feet out a tree with a loud thump. The next time I came I brought a small throw blanket. bribed her with a peanut and caught her with the blanket the first try. I figured that if I could catch her that easilly so could any predator.

I would suggest bringing him in as a permanent guest. I don't suggest taking him to any wildlife center or humane society because they will put him down for sure. he is not considered releasable. Weebles is getting quite tame. pretty good for an older wild squirrel. she wasn't even the type that would take the nut out of your hand.

I won't let him die unless he is suffering. I know that. But if he can be helped, I want to do that too. well.. he has to show up first. :/

i am so much more than a body.

every moment is an opportunity to begin recovery.

today is tomorrow's history.,

GhosTS Guest

Lets pray that its not brain tumor or anything serious.And that he will show up soon.Its better if he is checked by a vet.

Well. After waiting and not seeing him for days, I'm afraid I was assuming the worse. But he just showed up, sat on the chair to eat some shelled pecans and then took a walnut for the road.. looking perfectly great, I didn't realize it was him until I saw his tail. I don't know what was wrong with him, but he seems to have recovered on his own

hi. he's not tipping or swaying anymore. but doesn't his hip look odd? he doesn't limp like it hurts, but he's definitely got a different gait than everyone else.

Mrs. Jack, in the second picture, unless it's just the angle, doesn't his leg (Mid leg and above his foot) look swollen?

It does in that pic, doesn't it. It's hard for me to tell. He never brings that leg close to his body, it always sort of splays out, even when he runs, it's a sort of rolling gait with one corner off, if you know what I mean.. Like a table with one leg shorter. I would love to give it a close look, but he doesn't want me that near.. should I still be concerned about trying to catch him or should I let him be?

It's a tough call. I've never attempted to catch one of our wilds for any reason... Sorry, not much help, other than a sympathetic ear...

Personally, I TRY not to get too attached, but if there was ever a case where I felt I really could help, I'd probably try to.

We have a young female now, who I've named Scooter, who had something happen to her right rear foot. It looks fine, but she doesn't put much weight on it and it splays when she walks too. She holds her tail in a "hump" position too. But seems to get along fine.

An ear is always good. He just came and took a nut, it doesn't look swollen close up.. just splayed a bit. I think for now I'll just let him be, he doesn't act like he is in pain, he puts weight on that foot..

Please keep us posted on your splayed-leg male, Mrs. Jack. (If there are any changes.) for caring

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12