Thread: Baby Squirrel Won't Eat

LittleRusty Guest

Default Baby Squirrel Won't Eat

Hello, yesterday our cat brought us a baby squirrel that must have fallen out of a tree. The squirrel was completely unharmed (the cat didnt hurt the squirrel at all) Anyway , the squirrel seems to be doing well, however does not seem to want to eat his formula but does have an interest in his pedialyte. I am not sure what to do . Can anyone help ???

FLUFFYTAILNUT Guest

Wink Re: Baby Squirrel Won't Eat

Hold on..some one will be on...to help...shortly...

PBluejay2 Guest

Default Re: Baby Squirrel Won't Eat

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRusty
    Hello, yesterday our cat brought us a baby squirrel that must have fallen out of a tree. The squirrel was completely unharmed (the cat didnt hurt the squirrel at all) Anyway , the squirrel seems to be doing well, however does not seem to want to eat his formula but does have an interest in his pedialyte. I am not sure what to do . Can anyone help ???

ANY squirrel exposed to cat saliva needs to be on antibiotics whether you can see a wound or not. Cat saliva has a bacteria in it that can be fatal to squirrels. Your baby might be dehydrated, but you shouldn't give it Pedialyte for more than 24 hours. Do the pinch test on the skin of its back. If the skin stays tented for more than a couple of seconds, the baby is dehydrated. As for not eating, you should only feed it Esbilac puppy formula (available from vets and pet stores). Get the powdered form. You have to introduce the formula by diluting the mixture at 4 parts water to one part powder and then work up to full strength. You also need to be on the correct feeding schedule for its age and weight. Also the formula needs to be pretty warm (not hot) for it to be palatable. Others will be on to tell you more, but finally, friend, in my opinion, the best thing you can do is to try to find a rehabber who can take the baby and treat it. Others might be able to find one for you. Thank you for caring enough to take care of this little sweetie!

LittleRusty Guest

Thank you for your help. I am giving him Esbilac puppy formula, however it is the liquid kind and I am diluting it with water. Although I am warming it up, he still does not seem to want it, and occasionally makes a very loud squeaking noise when I'm trying to feed it to him. We are not sure how old he is, we only know that it is less than 36 days because his eyes are not yet open.

PBluejay2 Guest

Thank you for your help. I am giving him Esbilac puppy formula, however it is the liquid kind and I am diluting it with water. Although I am warming it up, he still does not seem to want it, and occasionally makes a very loud squeaking noise when I'm trying to feed it to him. We are not sure how old he is, we only know that it is less than 36 days because his eyes are not yet open.
    Lack of interest in food is often a sign of dehydration. Dod you do the pinch test? Is he peeing when you stimulate him? I assume you know you have to stimulate him.

LittleRusty Guest

We tried doing the pinch test, it did go back down, but not right away. Dehydration would make sense, beings he has not gone to the bathroom yet today, although we have tried stimulating him.

Should we continue with the Pedialyte in case dehydration is the problem? I just don't want to give him too much.

PBluejay2 Guest

We tried doing the pinch test, it did go back down, but not right away. Dehydration would make sense, beings he has not gone to the bathroom yet today, although we have tried stimulating him.

Should we continue with the Pedialyte in case dehydration is the problem? I just don't want to give him too much.

We need to know a few things to help you:

1) Exactly how long have you had the baby?

2) How long have you been giving it Pedialyte?

3) How long has it been since he peed and/or pooped (especially peed)?

4) How long are you stimulating it? (It takes sometimes SEVERAL minutes)

A picture would help if you have a digital camera. If you've been feeding Pedialyte for more than twelve hours or so, you might want to switch to either diluted formula or sugar water.

LittleRusty Guest

Sorry for the delay in response, and thank you very very much for all of your help. I've been very busy with the baby squirrel (along with back-to-school stuff for the kids). He is doing GREAT, the Pedialyte was a lifesaver for sure. The only small dillemma I have now is tyring to figure out his age so that don't overfeed him. He is such a little piggy! His eyes are still closed but he just started going potty by himself. He is also very, very active, and loves to climb around. Thanks again so much for your help. I am sure that this site saved his life

Here's a pic of the little guy eating!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

How is your little squirrel doing? He is still to young to potty on his on. You must help him be four and after he eats. Christal

Salexander Guest

Need advice, I am committed to these steps. Have the heating blanket, have the syringe, formula, heavy whipping cream, etc. my dog was guarding this baby on our porch this morning and I have been trying to get the baby to eat since 8am(now 3$ getting very little. I tried formula and then resorted to water with a little sugar. I don’t know if he is just to weak to eat but I can get him to swollen a few drops each time. How do I encourage feeding? He has peed once and pooped once in that time frame. Please help.

Salexander, this is a very old thread. I hope you have re-posted by starting a new thread for help.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.