Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Washington rehabber? :(

ozadelic Guest

Unhappy Washington rehabber? :(

I have a little squirrel, he's doing okay for now but I am so scared I'm going to screw this guy up. I'm full time working on immigration and other things in my life, it doesn't particularly accomodate a squirrel at the moment and I want him to be in the BEST home he can be in.

Plus, my room mates have a cat. That scares me. Even if he lives downstairs with me.

I have no money to pay for a vet, and I have no money or social security number needed to get a license so it's legal for me to care for this guy. I feel like he needs to be somewhere where I know he'll be safe.

I have called one lady but I seriously don't trust her. She gave me a milk regimen and now I feel really bad for possibly hurting this poor thing before I hydrated him.

Now he's drinking water and I'll switch to pedialyte + water eventually...but yeah. Don't trust this lady.

I'm glad I found this forum though~

-Laura

Default Re: Washington rehabber? :(

Dear Laura:
    Hi, I am not a rehabber. Although, if you can hang tight a bit, I am sure another member may know another "TSB—Washington Rehabber" to help you, OK?

I personally am uncertain of which TSB member Rehabbers are in Washington, so in the meantime, below is a list of rehabbers for Washington:

The link for this information is: The Squirrel Board > Help Needed! > Rehab Information and Locations. I am the worst linker, so I've copied the section below for you.

By the way, I think it is wonderful what you are doing for this little squirrel, thank you, truly and deeply for helping the little one. You are a special person.

Washington, Central
    Washington, Central region (Chelan)..... 509-687-3246
    Debra A. Burnett (director), Tsillan Wildcare
    redmiatagirl@msn.com
    Wildlife Species: raptors, songbirds, small mammals, herps

kjanzen@wsu.edu
    Wildlife Species: small to medium mammals, passerines, and some birds of prey
    hihanska@aol.com
    Specialty: raptors, general mammals, raptor flight cages, medical
    Washington, Northwest region (Friday Harbor)..... 360-378-5000
    Wolf Hollow Wildlife Rehab Center
    whollow@rockisland.com
    Comments: cover Skagit and San Juan Counties
    Washington, Northwest region (Gig Harbor)..... 253-884-3253
    Jim Styers, Fathom 23, Inc., Wildlife Rapid Response Team &
    Oil Spill Wildlife Management
    JSty23@aol.com
    Wildlife Species: Marine mammals and birds
    Comments: We are marine wildlife consultants specializing in wildlife
    impacted by oil spills. Director of Sea Otter Rescue Center/Seward,
    Alaska/ExxonValdez oil spill. Many others.
    http://www.fathom23.com
    Washington, Northwest region, Snohomish County (Lynnwood)..... (425) 787-2500 ex.817
    The Progressive Animal Welfare Society (PAWS)
    info@paws.org
    Wildlife Species: all species
    Comments: PAWS treats approximately 5000 injured and orphaned patients each year
    Washington, Northwest region, Snohomish County (Stanwood)..... 360-652-7690
    Meg Lunnum, (sub-permitee), Happy Valley Bats and Sarvey Wildlife Center
    megmyotis@happyvalleybats.org
    Wildlife Species: Bats
    Comments: Will answer any questions about bats. Will also pick up bats locally
    and make arrangements for those that are further away
    warm@sprynet.com
    Wildlife Species: black bears, raptors (eagles, hawks, owls)
    Comments: have large flight cage (120,000 cubic feet)
    Cover Grays Harbor, Thurston, Pierce, Lewis, and Pacific Counties
    —E
    “Why she Had to go I don't know,
    she wouldn't say,
    now I long for yesterday."
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his LIFE, his LOVE, his LEADER. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"—Unknown
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.

I've private messaged a board member who's out that way. She may have some contacts. I'll let you know.
    Shanon, Squammy to...

Quote Originally Posted by Legomom
    I've private messaged a board member who's out that way. She may have some contacts. I'll let you know.
    Legomom—thank you, I wasn't sure who was there.
    —E
    she wouldn't say,
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his LIFE, his LOVE, his LEADER. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"—Unknown
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointy Tale
    Legomom—thank you, I wasn't sure who was there.
    Wheezer is in the NW somewhere...not sure exactly.
    Shanon, Squammy to...

Quote Originally Posted by Legomom
    Wheezer is in the NW somewhere...not sure exactly.
    Legomom—you're the best, you're always there when I need something like this, Thank You! I'll make a note of it for next time too!
    —E
    she wouldn't say,
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

Buddy'sMom Guest

Sent a note to Mrs. Jack, too -- perhaps she knows someone in that area.

In the meantime, ozadelic, and thank you for helping this little one.

Have you seen the instructions we have posted? They are very helpful in giving you the basics, so you can do the right things while looking for a rehabber. http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=13090

I have been away all day and just got this message. I live in southern Oregon, closer to California. I am leaving for Seattle in the morning. I wonder if there would be a way to get the little squirrel while I am there. If I can could the person who has the squirrel p.m. with info. I can give them my cell phone number

I am going to a meeting now but will be home around 9pm.
    Tribute to my dear Wheezer:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfmpVgdwCi8
    New favorites squirrel video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu22KiUQFmY

If I can help in taking him in until he can be transferred to wheezer or whomever, let me know. I'm outside seattle, I can take care of him until necesserary. contact me anyone if I am needed pm.

i am so much more than a body.

every moment is an opportunity to begin recovery.

today is tomorrow's history.,

Buddy'sMom Guest

Thank you both! Sounds like the beginning of a plan!!

Laura, you are in luck --- Wheezer will take very good care of your little guy. If you can coordinate with her, that would be great. If needed, perhaps Mrs. Jack could get him from you and then meet up with Wheezer. As you have already figured out, he will do best in experienced hands.

Can you send a PM to both Wheezer and Mrs. Jack with your telephone number so you can figure out how to meet? I know you don't know them at all, but these two you can trust. Do you know how the PM function works? If not we can help you.

Wheezer, Mrs. Jack & ozadelic
    Shanon, Squammy to...

I just saw this thread! I do hope that you, Mrs. Jack and Wheezer can work something out.

I really wish I could help. Good luck with the little one.

O Lord, anoint mine eyes to see, and let my spirit sing and give all thanks to Thee.
    O Lord, my heart would sing thy praise, my voice in gladness raise, for all thy hands have made.

Gerald N. Lund "I give all thanks to Thee"

http://www.westsoundwildlife.org/ this place is on bainbridge island. good ferry access from seattle, some drop off stations if need be. Just another option

i am so much more than a body.

every moment is an opportunity to begin recovery.

today is tomorrow's history.,

Thanks for that info Mrs.jack. I wrote down the phone number
    I am off early morning and hope all works out
    Tribute to my dear Wheezer:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfmpVgdwCi8
    New favorites squirrel video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu22KiUQFmY

Buddy'sMom Guest

Good morning ozadelic (well, when it gets to be morning on your coast ).

It looks like the shelter Mrs. Jack posted a link for might be the best and easiest alternative for you. It may be possible to still coordinate with the others, but the West Sound shelter sounds perfect, and will keep your little one in his native area for release to the trees. That will be an easier and healthier alternative for him, giving him the best opportunity in life. It looks from their website like they are well set up to raise and release baby squirrels.

Please give them a call this morning and see if you can work that out. Let us know how that goes. You didn't mention if transportation would be an issue, but perhaps you can figure something out to get to the shelter or one of their other drop off points? If you can't, let us know and we can help you figure something out.

ozadelic Guest

Hi guys! I am sorry if I worried you.
    I have found out that he is actually a she! And she is actually doing very well now!

when I first found her she was cold and not very responsive.
    Since I have kept her pouched away in my shirt so she can stay warm. I feed her every two hours with a bottle and twice at night and when she's asleep in her box I make sure the heating blanket is on for her, but not on too hot.

I poop and pee her now because before I wasn't quite sure how it'd work! She seems to be peeing on her own now, but pooping takes a little practice.

I also gave her a very mild lavender bath because I have some goat milk soap with a tiny bit of lavender in it. All of her mites are gone and she is very happy. She also had some dirt in her nose when I got her so I cleaned all of it out.

She is asleep hugging my neck at the moment and I have contacted the zoo for some leads. They gave me the number of an old employee there who has been rehabbing a ton of different animals for over 30 years who is going to pick her up on Friday (Tomorrow)

Sorry for the panic! You guys saved my sanity though, I was so worried she was going to die but she is doing very well. I think there might be a little something messed up with her liver but the woman taking her is going to fix that.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/finnegan.asp

This is the woman taking her.

I'd like to post pictures of zapato as soon as I can, I don't know if anyone would be interested in seeing her. Past that after she's gone I'm probably going to disappear from this site as I do not have any other animals stashed in my house and do not plan on getting any more!

Thanks a bundle.

-Laura

ozadelic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy'sMom
    Sent a note to Mrs. Jack, too -- perhaps she knows someone in that area.

In the meantime, ozadelic, and thank you for helping this little one.

Have you seen the instructions we have posted? They are very helpful in giving you the basics, so you can do the right things while looking for a rehabber. http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=13090

Like I said, these instructions saved the little squirrel. You guys are such a wonderful bunch.

Buddy'sMom Guest

Excellent news! Thanks for the update!

It sounds like you have found a very good place for her to grow up and learn how to be a squirrel. We would LOVE to see pictures of your little cutie!

While you have her, just be very very slow and cautious in feeding her so she doesn't aspirate formula into her lungs. (In case she does, immediately turn her upside down and let it drain out. And let the rehabber know that it happened in case she needs an antibiotic )

ozadelic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy'sMom
    Excellent news! Thanks for the update!

It sounds like you have found a very good place for her to grow up and learn how to be a squirrel. We would LOVE to see pictures of your little cutie!

While you have her, just be very very slow and cautious in feeding her so she doesn't aspirate formula into her lungs. (In case she does, immediately turn her upside down and let it drain out. And let the rehabber know that it happened in case she needs an antibiotic )

Ah! Yes, the rehabber did mention that it might happen and to do that. She did it earlier today and so I flipped her upside down. She sneezed pretty good and then just started hanging there. I didn't let her hang for too long because not too much got in her nose but she's doin' okay now!

Where's the best place to put photos of zapato?

You can put photos up here, or you could make an introduction thread for yourself and Zapato.

Thank you so much for the message. I let Wheezer know as soon as I got it. Sorry, I didn't get back to you, reception was terrible out there.

It's wonderful to hear you found a rehabber for the little one. I hear they can be a lot of work.

Awe, Finnegan the Pappillon.

O Lord, anoint mine eyes to see, and let my spirit sing and give all thanks to Thee.
    O Lord, my heart would sing thy praise, my voice in gladness raise, for all thy hands have made.

Gerald N. Lund "I give all thanks to Thee"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1