Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Found a squirrel hit by a car

Default Re: Found a squirrel hit by a car

OK Where's my head??? I posted the list and I did post for California...I;m usually not this air headed...well sometimes I am
    I couldn't agree with you more about these little ones with handicaps...they can live such a charmed life and be perfectly happy. I had a completely blind robin that lived for 8 years and the same thing was told to me, to put him down...no thank you...
    I will be right back I am just checking on something again....

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

I have a couple connections in Cal, but it is a big state...would help knowing ballpark area...
    Nancy is very PC savy and very sq knowledged, she is choice and trustworthy...please share your private info with her, and she will keep you in underground if needed.

As IR said, the sq may need more help than you c an give, but we can usually come up with FRIENDLY rehabbers!
    Thanks again for going extra mile for sq!

Thanks Jackie...Michelle, if you go to this link
    http://www.ccwr.org/resources/carehab.htm just let us know what region you are in and we will see what we can do...
    or give us your area code.

Quote Originally Posted by sequoia4
    ok how do i add pics.. its saying its a scripted website??
    Can anyone help with adding pictures? I'm not that good at that myself let alone helping someone else... Can you email them to me? I will go from there I may be able to put them up.
    nmognoni@nycap.rr.com

sequoia4 Guest

just sent them

Here are the pictures, I hope this works. I will be off for about an hour...but I will be back. This one eye looks pretty bad. Are you doing anything for her? Thanks for sending..
    .Name:  P7220110.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  28.4 KB

Name:  P7220111.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  53.5 KB

Name:  P7220112.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  58.1 KB

SHE DEFINITELY IS A LITTLE DOLL

Oh she is beautful.
    Are you thinking 4-5 months old?
    Were you able to call any of the rehabbers on the list?

She looks so healthy otherwise..
    She may want some water in a shallow bowl and a nut or apple slice, peeled grape anything wet and sweet.
    Bless her heart...
    someone will be on soon

sequoia4 Guest

thats the side she was hit on. her eye was scratched and dried up when i found her,, she had lost the ability to blink, I put some water on it to clean it but it has permantly closed, my cockiteil is the same way vet said surgery is to tramatic for them and she will be fine with one eye.

shock ...if you can , good luck...rub molasses on her gums, corn syrup or log cabin...also can add to syringe feed water.
    How does she respond to you?
    she really needs fluids....so if she is not taking...she'll start getting very weak...and then worse.
    Are you still trying to find sanctuary, vet or rehabber?
    I am just outside working in my shop, so I will keep cking back in for update. Hydration and heat are key...quiet and dark.
    Have you seen her poop or pee?
    Thank yo so much

Aw she is a lovely lady. Keep offering her as much fluids by mouth or some jucie fruit, waternelon, peeled grapes. Just like everyone else is saying...fluid, fluid, fluid.
    You can put the "liguid tears" drops in her eye as long as there is no injury (bleeding) to the eye. Just keep it moist, her eye may improve when she feels better. So keeping it moist will help.

Does she have fleas ?
    Good luck and blessing to you and her.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Rebecca <
    SC Wildlife Rehabilitator
    I'm a squirrel watcher, I'm a squirrel watcher, watching squirrels go by, my my my!

sequoia4 Guest

Wink Re: Found a squirrel hit by a car

went to the store and bought ensure, pine nuts, sunflower seeds and some blueberry/apple baby food. ground it up to make a gruel.. she does have chewing movement when she takes the gruel and we had a pee.. gave her new bedding and now waiting for a poo. I did find one yesterday it was small. but thats a good sign of no internal injury. tomorrow I will try fruits. I put some shelled pinenuts and sunflower to see if she would eat on her own.

ty for the tip on the eye. I have dry eye syndrome I have natural tears here with no additives if thats ok to use.

as for the rescue, Im going to see how she does first.. unless i get it in writing she wont be put down for just her back legs not working. then I will hand her over where they should have a handicaped facility for her to live out her life.. there is someone who has a squirrel on the board here and it seems to be doing good with the pics I saw.. I will proabably set up her home like that in due time..
    no fleas from what i see.

I have had 4 squirrels in my life.. one when i was in my teens, the other 3 is when the mother must have gotten attacked or killed and the babies fell out of the tree because of the nest being torn apart. so these lil guys are not new to me. I have also handfed baby birds, a baby rat saved from a reptile store. puppies that have been dumped in a trash can and baby sparrows that they throw in trash cans because they think there chickens will get there lice, the list goes on. you name it I try and save it.

Michelle

Michelle, hi, I'm sorry that I didn't get back to you earlier, I am so busy today...Actually my daughter is coming in from California tomorrow. She lives in Santa Cruz.
    There are so many good people here that are willing to help you. I am glad that we got to chat earlier. Please do what they say with the fluids, since you have done so many different animals before you know the importance of hydration, I am sure.
    Feel free too to also PM any of the members here to if I'm not around, or if you need anything you can call. I just will be in and out a lot in the next few days. It is really important when dealing with a animal that was hit to try to get help that is beyond us. I will still try to keep checking around to see if there is anyone close by that perhaps can get the squirrel to a vet, only with the promise of not euthanizing. We did talk about that.
    I will check in later, I have to make dinner. Hope all is well. Thank you for watching out for these little critters and lets try to get the help he may need. At least if we can just get him checked out for no internal damage.
    Remember hydration....I will definitely keep in touch and you please do the same....

sequoia4 Guest

Unhappy Re: Found a squirrel hit by a car

we did have lots of poo looked like goat dropings lol. had a pee earlier. feed her tonight and gave her some water after. used drops on her bad eye and the guck got loose and she opened her eye.. she is blind in that eye sry to say. I think she knows im trying to help her she lets me wipe her mouth after she eats and hasnt tried to bite me yet. I do feel her shiver when i pet her. massaged her legs and around the spine, hope it helps.

sequoia4 Guest

good morning..
    how is the sq?
    did you ever get her on heat?
    also, your elixir that you are making...i do not ever recommend feeding pine nuts, they are sooo high in phosphorus that they depleat the calcium that is so very important.
    squirrels actually can use esbilac puppy replacer milk, i always buy the dry/powder as the ready to use is good for 72 hours.[but can be frozen into cubes] [ESBILAC, it can be found at larger pet stores and feed stores, and you can try vet office also, it is actually complete]
    if she will lap the ensure and water, she needs nutrition and water.
    i also would not give any seed as it makes them antsy/jittery. jmo.

i was informed that you re probably not going to turn her over to a facility or a rehabber for fear of euthanization...ok!
    but please find a vet or rehabber close to you...so if she goes down hill fast, you have a PLAN B. thank you

Can you give an update and new pics?
    maybe a better pic of her eye...is that what seems to be her injury and is she using her legs anymore than yesterday?

I know you are doing the best you can for her, but the heat will help alot! Thanks again, waiting for an update!

Hi Michelle...hope the little one is doing well this morning. I will be in and out today so I don't know how much I will be on here. Please listen to Jackie, she definitely knows her stuff. These little ones can go downhill fast, so if you have someone lined up just in case, that would be an excellent idea. I know that you would never want the little one to suffer.
    I hope too that you are aware of how much work goes into keeping a little squirrel. The proper food is expensive and then the housing and vet bills if you can in fact get a vet to see a squirrel. I don't know about California, but in most states keeping a squirrel even a non-releasable one is illegal. This is where you may run into problems when it comes to health care. Just want you to think about things, as I'm sure you are, that are going to crop up. Saying that you are keeping him is one thing, but keeping an adult wild squirrel is extremely challenging. I know that yesterday you were talking about someone on the board that had to keep one...as I said then, you may have been talking about Christine in "Christine's Chronicles". But if I'm not mistaken, she was gotten as a baby and Legomom went through and is still going through a lot of heartbreaking times with her. You will need to devote so much time to a wild squirrel, I overwinter some of them and right now have one that is soon to be released, and I am telling you, if you do it right...they take up hours and hours of your day.
    Let me know if I can help in any way. If you call and I'm not home, leave a message. Hope to see you on the board with more pictures like Jackie wants, you can email them to me and I will post...

sequoia4 Guest

shes on all 4s now.. she has her tail over her back which is a very good sign. if she can just eat on her own that would be great. she might be when im not in the room. In calif you need a wildlife permit to keep I think any animal that isnt in a pet store. I will call the rehab and see if she can go this week. they can give her the room to play to strengthen her legs and be a real squirrel again. with one eye tho.

Before you turn her over to a sanctuary, make sure they won't euthanize a Non releasable sq...and she is non releasable with one eye, by some peeps standards . We may can find a member to try to rehab and give her a forever home. That would be a happy solution.
    I am glad she is perked up some. Is she taking water on her own?
    I bet you felt so relieved to see her tail curled...
    Do youthinkthe eye injury is new/recent or has she had it? I cannot tell from pics, I don't see alot of swelling or fur loss..??!!
    Keep offering her a variety of foods, thinking she will eventually like something and eat on her own.
    How much formula is she taking?

This is wonderful news. Please listen to Jackie about TSB trying to find a trusted rehabber. From what I see of this little one, she can live a completely happy life if someone is willing to help her out. No need for euthanasia, from what I see!!!
    Thank you for caring out enough to help this little one....she is a lucky little girl.

sequoia4 Guest

I let her out for a small romp. she is still week but all 4s seem to be working fine she tried to climb up my fence post which is wood she needed a little help. with a little excercize she would be fine, but i dont think she likes the cage shes in, it has plenty of room for her to walk in, its a large breeding cage for birds. but she just sits there.. still hasnt eaten food yet im thinking because of her being in a cage or she cant see it with her one eye?
    shes a very shy lady now since she can only see with one eye. need to build her confidence. shes not inquisitive like squirrels are. any suggestions?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.