Thread: MBD?

jessquirrel Guest

Default MBD?

Hello- My squirrel- Pachu- is 1 year 8 months old.
    I had him inside with intent to keep him as an inside squirrel until I noticed he was very anxious.
    He has been an outside squirrel with food, water and 'doggydoor" on porch with no problem for 8 months. He came and went daily.

Noticed him not using the trees and did more walking on the ground from tree to tree as of late (a week).
    I noticed he is not putting his right arm down. He is also squeaky when I touch his shoulders.
    I brought him inside and set up his cage and bed.
    I am thinking MBD?
    He is drinking and eating, he does use his hands when he is eating or upset about being in the cage (still climbs).

I have given him TUMS, and crushed a calcium pill in his water bottle.

Does this sound like MBD?
    Please advise.

Jess

Default Re: MBD?

Quote Originally Posted by jessquirrel
    Hello- My squirrel- Pachu- is 1 year 8 months old.
    I had him inside with intent to keep him as an inside squirrel until I noticed he was very anxious.
    He has been an outside squirrel with food, water and 'doggydoor" on porch with no problem for 8 months. He came and went daily.

Noticed him not using the trees and did more walking on the ground from tree to tree as of late (a week).
    I noticed he is not putting his right arm down. He is also squeaky when I touch his shoulders.
    I brought him inside and set up his cage and bed.
    I am thinking MBD?
    He is drinking and eating, he does use his hands when he is eating or upset about being in the cage (still climbs).

I have given him TUMS, and crushed a calcium pill in his water bottle.

Does this sound like MBD?
    Please advise.

Jess
    I'm not sure it's possible for an outside squirrel to get MBD. How long has he been outdoors? What are you feeding him?
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

If he's been outside for 8 months then I'd be checking into something else. It sounds like he just has a sore shoulder. Maybe he fell.

I agree; there are two things squirrels can only get from living with humans: bloat, and MBD. He's been eating wild foods for months, so unlikely it's MBD. He must have sprained his shoulder or arm.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

jessquirrel Guest

I am relieved- I am going to keep him inside and see how he does.
    I appreciate all of your responses.

Jess

FLUFFYTAILNUT Guest

Wink Re: MBD?

Poor...thing..sounds like her...fell...and did some bruising..
    Glad he has you..till he can get better...

Do you have an way to get a video of him..so we can see..how he maybe favoring..how he walks,moves and holds his food..?
    Too, much to ask...?

Have a nice night..
    FTN

jessquirrel Guest

Hi Fluffytailnut! I wish I could take video of him - but I do not have a video camera- I can only tell you that he hangs his paw limp at the wrist until he has to really grab or climb. I hate seeing him like this.

An odd thing just happened a little while ago- I brought him out of the cage to hold him and he obviously did not want to be held- and bit my thumb hard. So I know he is in a lot of pain right now.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.