Thread: Baby flyer having trouble pooping

Question Baby flyer having trouble pooping

I have a 4 week old rescued male flyer that I have had for 1 week. He is on Esbilac puppy formula: 1 part formula, 2 parts water, 1/4 part heavy whipping cream, 1/4 part yogurt. 2 days ago he developed runny poop. I think he was dehydrated, so I gave him pedialyte for 2 feeding then started back with the formula half strength. His runny poop cleared up after this, but now I am having problems getting him to poop. I have slowly been getting him back to full strength formula. Going from 1/2 strength to 75% strength. He has good clear urine output, but the last 3 feeding he only poops a teeny tiny bit. It is light brown and seems to be formed from what I can tell (it is a small amount). After this last feeding I tried soaking his bottom half in warm water while rubbing his belly, with no luck. His belly is a little bloated looking, which I am assuming is from not pooping! Any suggestions, and should I be worried? Does it take their systems a little bit to get back to normal after having diarrhea? Thank you in advance for any advice!!! This is my first flyer

Default Re: Baby flyer having trouble pooping

Hi, can you hang tight while I read your post and see who is online to help you, I am not a rehabber. I just saw that you signed off, can you resign in and then refresh your screen so you can see updated posts?

I have just contacted experienced members to help you. Please sign back in so that we can chat online.
    —E
    “Why she Had to go I don't know,
    she wouldn't say,
    now I long for yesterday."
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his LIFE, his LOVE, his LEADER. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"—Unknown
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.

PBluejay2 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tatermama
    I have a 4 week old rescued male flyer that I have had for 1 week. He is on Esbilac puppy formula: 1 part formula, 2 parts water, 1/4 part heavy whipping cream, 1/4 part yogurt. 2 days ago he developed runny poop. I think he was dehydrated, so I gave him pedialyte for 2 feeding then started back with the formula half strength. His runny poop cleared up after this, but now I am having problems getting him to poop. I have slowly been getting him back to full strength formula. Going from 1/2 strength to 75% strength. He has good clear urine output, but the last 3 feeding he only poops a teeny tiny bit. It is light brown and seems to be formed from what I can tell (it is a small amount). After this last feeding I tried soaking his bottom half in warm water while rubbing his belly, with no luck. His belly is a little bloated looking, which I am assuming is from not pooping! Any suggestions, and should I be worried? Does it take their systems a little bit to get back to normal after having diarrhea? Thank you in advance for any advice!!! This is my first flyer
    I wouldn't panic just yet. It does take a while for them to digest food. If he had diarrhea, he was probably fairly well "flushed out," and since you're feeding diluted formula, he's not getting as much solids as he would normally. I'd bet that by the time he's built back up to full strength, he'll be pooping fine again.

Thank you!

Hi I just noticed you signed back in, thank you. Can you stay on for a bit so that someone can help you. I am a slower typer, OK?!

OK, I see that an experienced person has replied. Thank you for signing back in!
    —E
    she wouldn't say,
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his LIFE, his LOVE, his LEADER. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"—Unknown
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.

Pam Guest

Hi tatermama, I moved your thread to the emergency forum so you will get quicker response from rehabbers on the board.

Welcome to TSB!

How long should I dilute the formula before getting back to full strength?

Thank you Pam! I LOVE reading all the posts on the board!! Thank you for your quick response!

PBluejay2 Guest

How long should I dilute the formula before getting back to full strength?
    You're kind of loading the formula up with the whipping cream and yogurt. Also, there's been trouble with Esbilac, and I think the recommended dilution now is 2.5 water to 1 powder, so you might want to keep it a little more diluted.

Tatermama—In my haste to get attention to your thread I forgot to welcome you, !!!
    Just don’t forget to sign back in so that you can chat and to refresh your screen to see new posts!
    —E
    she wouldn't say,
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

Thank you PBluejay2! Should I cut back on the cream and yogurt? He has only had 2 feedings with the yogurt, I added that to help with the diarrhea. I have read conflicting posts on the correct mixture of formula! Some say add cream some say don't!! What is your advice on the mixture?

Thank you Pointy Tale! Everyone seems to be so helpful and nice!!

PBluejay2 Guest

Thank you PBluejay2! Should I cut back on the cream and yogurt? He has only had 2 feedings with the yogurt, I added that to help with the diarrhea. I have read conflicting posts on the correct mixture of formula! Some say add cream some say don't!! What is your advice on the mixture?

The recommendation (at least the most current one, I think) is to add heavy whipping cream to Esbilac. I'm not using it, so I don't know right off how much, but cream AND yogurt seems, at least to me, to be making an awfully rich formula. Others who are still using Esbilac may have a different opinion. If I were you, I'd put in an order for Fox Valley formula today and transition your baby to it as soon as it came in.

http://foxvalleynutrition.com/main/shop.asp

Thank you Pointy Tale! Everyone seems to be so helpful and nice!!
    Tatermama—you are welcome. Everyone here is beyond helpful and nice, they are truly the best and extremely knowledgeable! I wish you the best of luck.
    —E
    she wouldn't say,
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

Hi Tatermama This is what I use with mine. If you are 1TBS Of Esbilac it will be 1TSB of whipping cream and a 1/4tsp of yogurt. That is what I use for my flyer's. I hope this will help you. Christal

Did you try a Little apple sauce in the milk mixture. You might wont to back off the cream. I use to cut the cream out till it all gets back to normal. Then start back up 1/2 the strength on the cream. I hope this will work for you

Thank you Mrs Skul, this helps a lot! I wasn't sure about using both cream and yogurt.

I mix my formula 1 part Esbilac, 1 1/2 parts water, 1 part heavy cream, and 1/3 part Dannon Natural Vanilla yogurt. So far, everyone is doing well on it.

muffinsquirrel
    The Southeast Texas Acorn Academy

Already we have hickory nuts, black walnuts, pecan nuts, peanuts, hazel nuts, oak nuts, beech nuts, chestnuts.......and now you're here!

http://www.nfsa.us/phpBB2/index.php

Thank you, this helps a lot! This is about the mixture I have been making. Wasn't quite sure how much yogurt to add, I added about 1/4 part Dannon natural plain. Might try the Vanilla next time although he seems to love it with the plain!

UPDATE: I actually feel a little embarrassed! Relieved but embarassed...I pulled out his bedding from his nesting box and low and behold, little pellets of poo!!! I didn't think they could poop on their own at 4 weeks, but it was there! So I guess I worried for nothing! But thank you to everyone who gave me advice, and suggestions for mixing the formula!