Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do Squirrels Need Daily Sun Exposure?

Default Re: Do Squirrels Need Daily Sun Exposure?

Quote Originally Posted by SandyC View Post
    I just bought vitamin d3 for my nyka. How many mgs should she get daily?
    Do not give your squirrel Vitamin D3. Squirrels only need a small amount of Vitamin D and should get it from their diet (mushrooms, block etc.) not from a supplement. Vitamin D3 can be poisonous to rodents as it’s used in rodenticides.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

island rehabber (12-19-2020)

This is a very old thread. But for reference go back and read post #33 about the bulbs. I used a 4’ long uva/uvb bulb and placed it on top of the cage so it shown downward.

Quote Originally Posted by TexomaGirl View Post
    Just a note about the UVB bulbs, in my opinion, it is a much wiser choice to spend the few extra $$$ on the zoo-med repti sun bulbs versus other brands. The zoo-meds are the only ones proven to put off UVB output longer than 6 months. The zoo-meds will put out UVB for 12-16 months versus 4-6 months-other brands. And even with zoo-med, it's a safer choice to go with a strip light versus a "compact." Some compacts have been shown to cause blindness in animals. But also keep in mind that 2 hours of actual sun is about the equivelant of 10 hours under a UVB.
    Just my 2 cents on it as I am a reptile keeper also...
    Not an expert on lighting by any means but I wanted to mention a video I saw on YouTube where a guy tested many different so called "UV" bulbs including the repti sun. He had them set up in a row and went to one from another with a UV meter. His conclusion was that they were all pretty much useless and a waste of money because the only measurable amount of UV was within six inches of the bulb. Mines a year old, her cage is in front of a closed glass window but receives direct morning sunlight in the spot she eats her breakfast blocks. I feed mine 4 Henry's blocks a day, fresh veggies from the good list, mazuri rat and mouse and oxbow young rat and mouse which she really doesn't care about the rat and mouse blocks. I do give her mushrooms a couple times a week and also once a week add henrys calcium carbonate and henrys healthy vitamins to her bowl of veggies. She's a year old and healthy as an ox so far.

They can definitely get their Vitamin D from food. Unfortunately, she is getting very little UV through window glass, or even screening, as both are designed to block UV (which fades furniture, carpet, etc.

Most of the UV bulbs state in their literature the distance from the bulb that needs to be maintained to rally get exposure and it is not very far.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123