Thread: Hyperthermia (Heat Stroke)

Default Hyperthermia (Heat Stroke)

Emergency Treatment for Heatstroke

Heatstroke is a life-threatening emergency--Do not delay treatment!

Symptoms of Heatstroke

Mild--Damp fur, appears to be sweating, rapid heartbeat and breathing
    Moderate--Drooling or "foaming at the mouth," labored breathing, vomiting
    Severe--diarrhea (may contain blood or mucous), uncoordination, seizures, collapse

Emergency Cool-Down Procedures

You must get the squirrel cooled down quickly. Seconds count!

1. Bring the squirrel inside.
    2. Dip the squirrel in cool water up to his neck.
    3. Lay the squirrel down on a damp cloth with his head slightly elevated and turn on a fan.
    4. Bathe the squirrel with a cold wet cloth, especially the head and tail areas. Ice packs can be placed around the squirrel (not on him or under him).
    5. Offer a small amount of cool water to drink.
    Note: Keep the squirrel as quiet and still as possible; exercise will cause him to become more overheated.

For mild cases, the above treatment may be enough. For moderate/severe cases, vet care is required to save the squirrel's life. If you don't have a vet, have someone else call around while you continue the cool-down process.

6. Don't stop the cool-down process, even for a minute.
    7. If it's a warm day, run the AC in your car before you transport.
    8. Transport the squirrel quickly to the vet, continuing to bathe the squirrel with a cool washcloth while en route (bring some cold water with you).
    9. When you get to the vet, tell them it's severe heatstroke. They should rush the squirrel to the back for emergency care immediately.
    10. No matter what happens, keep bathing the squirrel in cool water until the squirrel in the vet's hands.

If heatstroke occurs away from home or while traveling. Use the same procedures as above. Use anything you can find to cool the squirrel down. In a pinch, a cold soda or even water from a nearby stream can be used until you can find help.

If you have no access to a vet, try to find a rehabber. If you're on your own, you will need to monitor the squirrel constantly, including his body temperature. Take the squirrel's temperature using a rectal thermometer or a digital ear thermometer. When his temp reaches 103 degrees F, you must stop the cool-down procedures to avoid overcooling. Continue to offer cool water drop by drop.

Most squirrels will not survive moderate/severe heatstroke without IV fluids, which only a vet can provide.

Note: Signs of permanent organ damage may not show up for several hours or even days. The squirrel may seem to recover initially, then get worse later.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Default Re: Hyperthermia (Heat Stroke)

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][I][I][COLOR="Black"]I had a baby squirrel my friend found, she couldn't have him, so I took him in. I nursed him back to health and kept him. I knew I couldn't keep him forever for he is a wild animal.
    He lived in my house with me and my husband for months. I loved him so much. If you could only see how he played, chased us and played tag, how he ran around the house back an forth.
    He wasn't just a "squirrel" he was my everything. July 3rd we decided to set him free at my grandparents where no cats and no cars could hurt him and I could see him when I wanted and he would be taken care of. But at the same time he'd also be free and not in a house, even though he loved being in it.
    So, we take him, put him a box with plenty of holes and water, 10 minutes later, my husband checks on him..... hes not moving.... I quickly pulled over grabbed him and rushed him in the shade to get fresh air. I start to cry an cry. I get him home and get cold water in him and water him down. He starts to come to it, and I'm thanking God so much for bringing him back. Few hours later, he cant walk right, hes crawling and seems disoriented, hes puking and dry heeving. I call a sanctuary to bring him to, I had to wait til night so it was cooler outside...we get to car, we look at him, his breathing slows an then, stops. As my fingers are on his chest holding him near me, his heart slow and then stops. I cried an cried and til this day when the nights come I sit alone and look at his pictures and cry some more. The heat stroke killed him. He became lathargic and then I knew, I couldn't save him anymore.
    Now, I know what some of you are thinking, I shouldn't of had him I should of let a licensed person take him. But that's not who I am and that's not how God made me. God made me to care for any animal that needs it and if I know I can't take care of an animal I do take them in where someone else can. I wouldn't leave my Peanut to die when he was a baby.
    And everyday, I wake up and think about him. I was ready to let him go but I wasn't ready to say goodbye. You have no idea how much my PeenyBaby (Peanut) meant to me. He was the best thing that could have ever came into my life.

No, you will only get sympathy and understanding here. I am so sorry to hear about your baby, and we understand how heartbroken you are. You were trying to do the right thing, but unfortunately chose the wrong day. Our tree squirrels are not really equipped for the temps the midwest has been seeing of late. Areas of the country that typically experience weeks of triple digit heat, such as the southwest, do not HAVE tree squirrels.

I'm so sorry about your Peanut.

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom
    Areas of the country that typically experience weeks of triple digit heat, such as the southwest, do not HAVE tree squirrels.
    Yes, I'd never realized that until this moment but you are so right, CritterMom. The hot, dry parts of this country have only ground squirrels, who can burrow down into the earth to stay cool.

Nevsimal, I am also so sorry you lost your little friend and it's clear you only wanted the very best for him. Please stay with us; there are people here who understand your grief, and there is a lot of fun and things to make you smile again, too.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Thank you all for your understanding and not flipping out on me for not giving him to someone else.
    Unfortunetly I should have known better than to take him out in the heat like that. I thought that if he had cool air in the car and water he'd be okay. Gosh darn was I ever wrong, and now all I can do is sit here and blame myself and wonder what he thought when I put him in the box to die.
    He was a squirrel that lived in a controlled enviroment in my house. Central Air. But I mistakenly thought that, well, he's a squirrel he should be ok in weather like this.
    I wish everyday I could take that day back. He's burried outside my house. I miss him so much and all I can do is cry. I hear sounds in my house and my heart skips a beat thinking he's here, but then the sad reality hits me hard and I realize that, I am alone.
    I am moving in a house my husband and I bought, and I have to leave him here and that hurts knowing that he wont be near me anymore, for now he was just a memory.
    I am pregnant, and people say "Oh, its just your hormones" truth is, I LOVED PEANUT WITH ALL MY HEART. He was my baby, my everything. When I was little I rescued animals and took them home, from snakes to birds to rabbits. God made me who I am. Unfortunetley he never equipped me with learning how to say goodbye.

If anyone is curious of the life I had with my Peanut, you can look me up on facebook, I have pictures of him from when I first got him to the day I lost him. He was my little PeenyBaby, I use to call him that when I'd get home from work or somewhere. I guess I thank God for letting me have him for only so long than never having him at all. I know you all know what it's like to lose something so dear an near your heart, so please be understanding with me for he was my world.
    I just know how some people are, because I've already dealt with people telling me an asking why would you keep him? I kept him because I fell inlove.

WE understand. Believe me. They are magic. Once you hold a baby in your hands, drag yourself out of bed to feed them, and watch them grow, they are your CHILDREN, as close as if you had birthed them yourself, and I frankly feel sorry for those who have never experienced it.

You should stick with us here - it is an awfully good group of people who get you and your feelings completely.

I think I will. In a wierd way it makes me feel closer to Peanut. I just want the heart ache to be gone. its been 3 days since I lost him, but my house just feels so empty with out him. I never truely knew how close I was to him until I lost him and I never thought I'd ever love a squirrel. To me when I seen a squirrel I thought nothing of them, just seen them dead on the road. They were just another animal. But then I had one, and he made everything in the house so.... i dont know, he just made me laugh, everyday. The things he would do. haahhaa. When my husband is not around, I silently cry all the time. I just feel alone now. I never thought I could be inlove with a squirrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevsimal
    If anyone is curious of the life I had with my Peanut, you can look me up on facebook, I have pictures of him from when I first got him to the day I lost him..
    So sorry for your loss...
    It was just June 2011 when I lost my Princess MIRA...(Mira LINK Below) and I --too-- held her as her breathing slowed,and heart stopped....I can remember it like it was yesterday,
    I went to Facebook and found several nevsimals.... which is your link???
    I'd love to see some photos of your Peanut !!!

hey, my facebook name is Brittany Pruitt, maybe try to type that in, youll find me. my display picture is a squirrel, my Peanut.
    thank you for your kind words. right now i am cleaning my house, and its so different without him running around making a mess for me to clean. i miss him terribly. i feel like i have drained my body completley of sorrow and sadness.

I am very sorry for your loss as well. sad...

Garden71 Guest

Sorry for your loss... .
    I tried to save a wild "Speedy" that was sick and sorry to say he did not make it.
    I am a grown man and I cried like a 2 year old over the little squirrel.
    They really now how to get into you heart!!!!!

Yes, they deff. do. He was my baby and I had such great plans for him! how i was gonna release him where i could always see him and always play with him. and he'd be so happy. now i have nothing left but a piece of heart gone and an empty home with only memories.... silent nights come quickly and the moment i hear a noise i look around for him and realize that hes not here anymore...sad realization...

so, so sorry... and so understand ...