Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Diet for 10 week old grey

  1. #1
    Nibbles mum Guest

    Default Diet for 10 week old grey

    Hi, I'm fairly new here and a bit confused what to feed my grey squirrel now that she is weaning. I've seen Russell Rabbit mix mentioned on the UK section (I'm in the UK). Is this for the squirrels (sorry if this is a silly question)? Why Russell Rabbit as opposed to any other? Any other ideas for greens etc? We've not got many wild seeds or nuts ready yet. I'm really worried that she gets MBD as it sounds awful. I don't want to feed her the wrong things.

    Really hope someone can help.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9,242
    Thanked: 141

    Default Re: Diet for 10 week old grey

    Quote Originally Posted by Nibbles mum
    Hi, I'm fairly new here and a bit confused what to feed my grey squirrel now that she is weaning. I've seen Russell Rabbit mix mentioned on the UK section (I'm in the UK). Is this for the squirrels (sorry if this is a silly question)? Why Russell Rabbit as opposed to any other? Any other ideas for greens etc? We've not got many wild seeds or nuts ready yet. I'm really worried that she gets MBD as it sounds awful. I don't want to feed her the wrong things.

    Really hope someone can help.
    No bunny food....lol. Check out the "Healthy Diet for Pet Squirrels":
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=16093

    And the feeding instructions:
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=17557

    You'll find a lot of info in the Squirrel Nutrition section.

    to TSB!
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

    The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

  3. #3
    Nibbles mum Guest

    Default Re: Diet for 10 week old grey

    Thanks so much for the speedy reply, 4skwerlz. I have been through the nutrition section etc, but thought that I had missed something. I would hate to feed Nibbles the wrong foods! I haven't seen rodent blocks in the pet shops here though, and will need something until I can get the blocks made myself. What could I use meantime?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9,242
    Thanked: 141

    Default Re: Diet for 10 week old grey

    Quote Originally Posted by Nibbles mum
    Thanks so much for the speedy reply, 4skwerlz. I have been through the nutrition section etc, but thought that I had missed something. I would hate to feed Nibbles the wrong foods! I haven't seen rodent blocks in the pet shops here though, and will need something until I can get the blocks made myself. What could I use meantime?
    The ingredients can be hard to find in other countries besides the US, especially the whey protein isolate. There really is no substitute for rodent blocks or squirrel blocks. You can order both online.
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

    The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

  5. #5
    Nibbles mum Guest

    Default Re: Diet for 10 week old grey

    Ok thanks, I will try to hold out and hunt down the ingredients from somewhere. Would flavoured whey protein isolate do if I can't get plain?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9,242
    Thanked: 141

    Default Re: Diet for 10 week old grey

    Quote Originally Posted by Nibbles mum
    Ok thanks, I will try to hold out and hunt down the ingredients from somewhere. Would flavoured whey protein isolate do if I can't get plain?
    There really is no substitute for the Now Brand 100% Whey Protein Isolate. All of the other brands I have looked at (a lot) have lower-quality protein, too many carbs, and usually artificial sweeteners, which are toxic to rodents. And the flavored ones usually have the most additives. If you can find the Now Brand, you should be able to get the unflavored. The Now Protein can be ordered online from Allstar Health.

    You can order commercial rodent blocks from Petco and other major pet stores. And I also ship the Henry's Healthy Blocks overseas, so if you need to order them from me you can visit the website in my signature.

    I don't want to sound discouraging, but folks have had a lot of trouble finding the right ingredients locally outside the U.S. Maybe you'll be luckier.
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

    The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •