Thread: handicapped squirrel needs permanent home

Default handicapped squirrel needs permanent home

I was hoping that he would outgrow his wobblyness and lack of balance, but he is 8 or 9 weeks old now (at least), and the symptoms are pronounced. My plan was always to get him ready for release, and let him go in the park next to my house. But the other day, my son tried to see if he could climb a tree (without me knowing). Another son ran in and said ..Mom! Little Squee is way too high!
    I got out there in time to catch him... he fell from about 20 feet.
    He leans to one side and drags his left front paw a little (he was in a treefall as an infant), and his head jiggles like jello. Otherwise, he is a good eater and comfortable being held. He nibbles but does not bite, and likes to snuggle up on his back while holding my finger.
    I haven't looked in my area yet for a permanent home... this IS Massachusetts and I fear the negative responses I may get (i.e.: It's against the law for you to have that thing!). Also, I have a feeling that many rehabbers would suggest euthanizing him, as he will never be fit for the wild.
    Just sharing my troubles.......... any thoughts?

snakegetters Guest

Default Re: handicapped squirrel needs permanent home

I wouldn't pass this animal on to anyone who was not prepared to give him a permanent home. Depending on the laws in the state where you live, you may NOT actually want to bring him to the attention of a licenced rehabber or anyone who is strictly operating under said laws, as the outcome could be euthanasia even if he does have the potential to live a comfortable and pain free life under private care.

Obviously if the animal is in pain or miserable, euthanasia is the humane thing to do. I don't personally support euthanasia for cases in which the animal is pain free and able to enjoy life with human assistance even if it is never fit for release, but that would be mandated by law for this animal in some states. Research the legal situation for your state before you let anyone official know that this animal even exists.

If you are prepared to give him a permanent home and a good life with your assistance, lay in all the supplies you'll need, take the time to learn about appropriate housing and nutrition, and understand that you may have to hide this animal in your home for its entire life if the legal situation is really dire in your area. Or find someone else who can undertake this responsibility. It's a big one.

It is possible that you might be awarded a permit to keep an unreleasable squirrel, but it's also possible that if you apply and fail, the animal would be taken and euthanized. You might consider applying for the permit, but either boarding the animal somewhere else during this period or finding a roadkilled dead squirrel you can stick in the freezer to present to officials when they come to take the animal. Oops, sorry officer, he already died, here's the body you can take away and dispose of in whatever legal manner you need to.

I generally try to respect wildlife laws as they are made with the welfare of the animals and the species in mind, but there are some cases in which the welfare of an individual animal is really not best served in my opinion by the existing laws.

Somebody's Mother Guest

yay snakegetters!!! that was great and informative. see you do like the squirrels. don't you?? haha!

Thumbs up Re: handicapped squirrel needs permanent home

Quote Originally Posted by snakegetters
    I wouldn't pass this animal on to anyone who was not prepared to give him a permanent home. Depending on the laws in the state where you live, you may NOT actually want to bring him to the attention of a licenced rehabber or anyone who is strictly operating under said laws, as the outcome could be euthanasia even if he does have the potential to live a comfortable and pain free life under private care.

Obviously if the animal is in pain or miserable, euthanasia is the humane thing to do. I don't personally support euthanasia for cases in which the animal is pain free and able to enjoy life with human assistance even if it is never fit for release, but that would be mandated by law for this animal in some states. Research the legal situation for your state before you let anyone official know that this animal even exists.

If you are prepared to give him a permanent home and a good life with your assistance, lay in all the supplies you'll need, take the time to learn about appropriate housing and nutrition, and understand that you may have to hide this animal in your home for its entire life if the legal situation is really dire in your area. Or find someone else who can undertake this responsibility. It's a big one.

It is possible that you might be awarded a permit to keep an unreleasable squirrel, but it's also possible that if you apply and fail, the animal would be taken and euthanized. You might consider applying for the permit, but either boarding the animal somewhere else during this period or finding a roadkilled dead squirrel you can stick in the freezer to present to officials when they come to take the animal. Oops, sorry officer, he already died, here's the body you can take away and dispose of in whatever legal manner you need to.

I generally try to respect wildlife laws as they are made with the welfare of the animals and the species in mind, but there are some cases in which the welfare of an individual animal is really not best served in my opinion by the existing laws.
    This is just my humble opinion, and not worth the paper it's printed upon or the digital screen. Sometimes our heart tells us many things and sometimes it just whispers to us. I think yours has just whispered to you my friend snakegetters and in it's whisper you spoke loud enough for all of us to hear.

bob

nutz4squirls Guest

Momshey, contact me and I will discuss something we can try on your squirrel that may help him to recover fully. I am a rehabber and I'm willing to work with you to see if we can get him better. I'm located in Ct. Where in Mass are you. My phone number is 860-749-1129 This is my buisness number and I'll be their Monday morning. Nutz

OK, I'll call you!

snakegetters Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Squirrel Cam
    This is just my humble opinion, and not worth the paper it's printed upon or the digital screen. Sometimes our heart tells us many things and sometimes it just whispers to us. I think yours has just whispered to you my friend snakegetters and in it's whisper you spoke loud enough for all of us to hear.
    Thanks, but that's always been my policy when it comes to misguided animal laws that are neither humane for the individual animal nor really in the best interests of the species or the ecosystem as a whole. There are situations where euthanasia is the best solution for the greater good of the animal, the species or the ecosystem, but I have never agreed that death is always better than captivity for a wild animal.

Humane euthanasia is better than a life of pain and suffering, or a miserable life under poor captive conditions. So it is an option to be considered thoughtfully with the best interests of the animal in mind. But being permanently physically handicapped does not automatically equate to a life of suffering or a need for euthanasia. That's pretty obvious to me since my boyfriend has CP and enjoys an excellent quality of life. I expect he'd be pretty pissed off by the suggestion that anyone who is handicapped should just be put to sleep, and I would be too.

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4squirls
    Momshey, contact me and I will discuss something we can try on your squirrel that may help him to recover fully. I am a rehabber and I'm willing to work with you to see if we can get him better. I'm located in Ct. Where in Mass are you. My phone number is 860-749-1129 This is my buisness number and I'll be their Monday morning. Nutz
    I have an adult squirrel that I got at the park that wobbles a lot. she is blind in one eye but that never used to bother her before. no sign of infection. the blind eye has been pressent much longer than the wobble. If you know how to cure this can you personal message or quote back here and let me know? A week after I got her she popped out 3 little ones. I am raising them for release.