Thread: Winston

mariam123 Guest

Default Winston

Hey everyone,

My mom found a baby squirrel about 2 weeks ago in her cat's mouth. Luckily, the cat didn't bite it or hurt it at all (when it started peeing, it was clear and I read that is a good indication that there was no internal bleeding either.) My mom assumed he was on his way out, but I took him, did some research online and initially had success. When I got him, his eyes were closed and he was severely dehydrated. I started feeding him Pedialyte for 24 hrs until he peed when I stimulated him and then I switched him to Esbilac puppy formula. He was doing really great- he opened his eyes, started going to the bathroom on his own, etc. I made him an incubator which he got comfortable in and just recently he started coming out to play. Anyway, he had started getting diarrhea about 3 days ago and I'd been steadily decreasing the amount of food I gave him because I thought I might be overfeeding but the diarrhea was not going away. It hardened up to "soft" and not runny for about 1 day but it never got completely better. Then today, within the same hour, he went from playing actively, to crawling onto my lap and sleeping. I put him in his incubator and when I went to go feed him about 15 min later, he was frozen in an outstretched position with his back arched. I thought he might be choking and I looked in his throat, massaged his belly, and tried to give him a gentle heimlich. I then saw he was breathing and that he wasn't choking. I put him back in the incubator and checked on him again after 10 minutes and he was so weak and foaming at the mouth. His breathing was reduced to small gasps every few seconds and a few hours later he was dead. I'm really upset and confused- I did some research online to figure out what could have went wrong..I mean he went from his normal playful self to immobilized in about 1 1/2 hrs, after he's been doing great for about 2 weeks. I think I'd feel better if I just knew what went wrong..does anyone have any ideas? Thanks so much.
    Mariam

Default Re: Winston

I'm sooo sorry this happened to you. I believe what happened in your case could be the cats fault. Cats carry a bacteria that is deadly to rodents (incld. squirrels). They must have an antibiotic to prevent a tragedy like this.
    He also could have aspirated on his formula (what were you feeding with)?
    He left this life knowing he was loved and cared for, bless you for that.

Pa. licenced Rehabber

mariam123 Guest

Thanks so much for getting back to me. I had done some research on the cats bacteria, and had gotten some amoxycillan from a vet just for that. But when I gave it to him he started fading fast. He quickly became weaker and then started to have diarrhea. Since he had been doing well before I gave it to him, I took him off of it 2 days later. Should I have kept him on it? I was feeding him with an eyedropper- I've been reading more about asperation- does this sound possible in this case? God I wish I knew about this forum yesterday. But he was doing so well and when he took a turn it came so unexpectedly and quickly that I didn't even have a chance to help him. Thanks so much for your help

mariam123 Guest

I've been reading through some more posts and I came across a post dicussing Cyanosis..It caught my attention because it talked about the squirrel having grey lips and I did notice this in Winston but it was a little bit before he died so I don't know if that was just because of his inability to breathe. But the way he died definitely reminded me of a few orphaned kittens I tried to save a while ago that (I found out too late) had respitory infections. Is it possible for Winston to have also had a respitory infection? Would it have struck so suddenly the way it did?

PBluejay2 Guest

We've all made our mistakes, especially in the early going, so don't beat yourself up over this. In my opinion, it sounds like aspiration pneumonia. Sometimes it can take them before we even know anything is wrong. The best way to avoid it is to feed VERY CAREFULLY with a syringe (not an eye dropper or bottle) and watch for formula getting into/coming out of the nose. Also look for lethargy and labored breathing (hanging head and "panting"), especially right after feeding. Amoxycillin wasn't a good choice for an antibiotic. Sulfatrim or Baytril would have been better, but from what i understand, not enough time had passed for the antibiotic to have been an issue. I'm sorry for your loss, and rest assured, raising squirrels is a learning experience for all of us, and all but the most arrogant will tell you they learn each and every day with each and every new baby. Thank you for doing what you could.

mariam123 Guest

Thank you- I really enjoyed taking care of him...I'm really thinking about volunteering with a local Wildlife Rehabilitator. I never knew squirrels were such great little animals. Living in NJ, you see them all the time and never pay them any attention because you're so used to them. Now when I see them, I stop just kind of stare knowing the work that goes into keeping them alive. I know I should have given him to one in the first place. I was so sure I could give him the right care because I tried to read up as much as I could. I can't help but feel selfish now because there was probably something someone with more experience could have done. Thanks again for your advice.

I'm sorry you lost your little one. That must have been awful for you. You have a kind heart, and you did the best you could.

Now that you've found out how WONDERFUL squirrels are and learned more about how to take care of them, volunteering to help a rehabber is a fantastic idea. You lost one, but you can help save many more...

Rest in Peace Little Boy
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

thank you for giving him love and warmth, R.I.P. Baby Squirrel

I am soooo sorry about your baby. You did all you knew how to do to save him. Working with a rehabber would be wonderful, we need all the loving people to help save these babies.RIP little baby boy-
    Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator: NFSA Emergency Care
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"
    http://www.thearkwildlifecareandsanctuary.com/

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

So sorry to hear Winston didn't make it. It wasn't from lack of love or care. Sounds like you truly were doing your research. Sometimes even the best of rehabbers can't save the little ones.

But it sounds like a really good thing came from this and that is you considering volunteering and perhaps leading to more. Maybe it was destiny that little Winston came into your life when he did.

mariam123 Guest

Thanks everyone for your kind words, advice, and support. Maybe you'll see me more often with other baby questions or comments if I find my way to working with a rehabilitator. Regardless, there is no doubt that I have a new appreciation and awe for these little guys and I have Winston to thank. I wish everyone the best of luck with their efforts.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.