Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Help, please.

Default Re: Help, please.

Hello. sorry for the delay getting back. In the last couple of days we have recieved two more sick squirrels. My oldest son saw a man with a box in an empty lot down the street and he dumped out a sick squirrel. My son put the squirrel in his bicycle helmet and brought him back to us. He is living in our back yard now with the others and seems to be eating and drinking OK. Another neighbor caught another sick squirrel in his back yard and asked to bring him to our house also, so we have yet another sick squirrel in our back yard. Heard a commotion in the back yard last night and found the neighbors cat up in one of our trees attacking one of the sick squirrels. But the squirrel put up quite a fight and we were able to get the cat out of here: hopefully he will be nervous about trying that again. My wife and I talked to one of the ladies on the list of animal rescuers: Karen Deitman from ArkAngels rescue and she advised us against capturing the sick squirrels, she says it causes them stress, that they do have pox. She said to keep their dishes clean (clean with bleachy water), she said that the only thing we could try was enchinacea. We seem to have an idea of what to start now, so we are. We also sprayed down all of the rocks and tree branches with a mild bleach solution (as per Karen) to kill some of the contaminants that might be on there. We are still looking for ideas, etc. But we now have 6 sick squirrels and a couple showing their first red spots. We have had 2 squirrels pass away. Wish us luck. Steve and Sharon Gardner. Key Largo.

whopoopwrasse Guest

I don't think that's going to do much to help them, you need to trap these squirrels and give them to someone who will treat them. Basically the info you were given was to let nature run it's course and they will die

I am so happy that you are back. People on this board truly only want to help the squirrels, and I know that suggestions can be overwhelming. AEMJ is right, the whole community could die. This is a terrible death for these poor babies. I have never known of a squirrel getting better on its own. Even with the best of care, it is so hard to treat. Capturing will be stressful but so is their existing with this. When they are slowly going blind and unable to see predators or find food that is an ongoing daily stress. I hope that we don't overwhelm you. If you feel more comfortable PMing some of the members rather than getting swamped by so many opinions, please feel free to do so. If I can be of any help to you, feel free to contact me off of the board or where ever you feel comfortable. If I can't help, I will contact someone who can. Thanks for thinking of these babies, they need help. -Nancy-

We have some great rehabbers here that have successfully treated pox squirrels, and can give you guidance on treatment that has worked for them. Please stick with us through this really tough time.
    Virginia Licensed Wildlife Rehabilitator (formerly Georgia)

Thanks for your replies. I have to agree with the last responses that I have heard, that capture and treatment is the best course, even if that disagrees with the opinion of the local wildlife expert. My wife and I still need to decide which is the best treatment plan once caught. As I said earlier, our sick population is now up to 6 to 8 squirrels. Two are completely blind, three are blind out of one eye, and a couple are just showing first signs of the pox. Which ones do you think should be the first that we go after? Steve and Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelcharmer
    Thanks for your replies. I have to agree with the last responses that I have heard, that capture and treatment is the best course, even if that disagrees with the opinion of the local wildlife expert. My wife and I still need to decide which is the best treatment plan once caught. As I said earlier, our sick population is now up to 6 to 8 squirrels. Two are completely blind, three are blind out of one eye, and a couple are just showing first signs of the pox. Which ones do you think should be the first that we go after? Steve and Sharon
    I think you should try to trap any and all of the sick ones. We have several great TSB rehabbers in FL that have experience treating pox. They have the medications necessary, including acyclovir.

We can also help with transport. I am in Miami and could help get them to where they need to go.

Time is of the essence. Once the pox gets into their internal organs, they will die. If they can be treated before this happens, they can often be cured.

If you need help trapping, we can do that too.

Just let us know what you want to do and we'll help you.
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

I am praying that the Lord will Bless your efforts so that those poor squirrels will not suffer further.Looking at those photos makes me want to cry..

Can you please give us an update. Have you set the Havaheart traps yet, or are you going to try and catch them by hand? A couple of our members assisted somebody with catching a pox squirrel this weekend, and even though his vision was impaired, he was quite a fiesty fellow. They got him and he is being treated, but his nestmate now needs to be captured. See this thread:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...t=15865&page=6
    Virginia Licensed Wildlife Rehabilitator (formerly Georgia)

Hello, again. We have captured the squirrel pictured with the two blind eyes. The other squirrel pictured seems to be doing much better, he is not so red any more and the sores seem to be scabbing over. We are still attempting to catch him. We saw another of our sick squirrels (almost blind) today he is eating and drinking well - we need to catch him. The other two sick squirrels we have not seen yet today, we are hoping they are still alive. The squirrel we have caught seemed to be in a state of shock when we caught him, but is doing much better now, moving around, drinking some water. I would be happy to take suggestions as to his care, or if someone can treat him, we will find a way to get him there. He is about completely blind, though, as I said. Steve

I'm glad that you caught the little one. I will try to get someone that can help. Hang on.

foxsquirrels Guest

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelcharmer
    Hello, again. We have captured the squirrel pictured with the two blind eyes. The other squirrel pictured seems to be doing much better, he is not so red any more and the sores seem to be scabbing over. We are still attempting to catch him. We saw another of our sick squirrels (almost blind) today he is eating and drinking well - we need to catch him. The other two sick squirrels we have not seen yet today, we are hoping they are still alive. The squirrel we have caught seemed to be in a state of shock when we caught him, but is doing much better now, moving around, drinking some water. I would be happy to take suggestions as to his care, or if someone can treat him, we will find a way to get him there. He is about completely blind, though, as I said. Steve
    Steve,

If you have any plain pancake syrup or karo syrup, add a little to the water.

Steve, is Odessa FL near you? I've been frantically searching for rehabbers for you and found this place:
    WILDLIFE HAVEN REHAB
    12514 Jot Em Down Lane, Odessa, FL 33556 Phone: (813) 792-8511 Fax: (813) 920-0698

I'll keep looking!

Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

Heat will add comfort! Like Jeff, AEMJ said...dark and quiet and cover the cage...ps...I cannot type well, so excuse my briefness. Sorry.
    what meds do you have, cat dog or bird meds?
    pain and antibiotic...
    No towels ...tshirt inside for hide if possible. This virus causes extreme stress, so less stress is best. The Rescue Remedy will help.
    If possible to put heating pad under sq container...
    water and seed, nuts..whatever you have. Avacodo corn

We are working on helping you now, making arraignments...hang tight and thanks a million!

foxsquirrels Guest

Squirrelcharmer, Rescue Remedy may really help you right now with this squirrel. It is sold at some pet stores, Walgreen's pharmacy and CVS' pharmacy. I hope you can find a store with some in stock tonight. Thanks for all that you are doing to save these sick little fuzzers.

We will all be working together to get you the help you need.

And yet another example of the wonderful people that are on The Squirrel Board. What team work. You guys are the best!!!!

ok...have talked to 4Skwerlz! She can drive halfway to me. Can Sharon or Steve drive to Miami and meet her? Can this happen in the morning?
    4S cannot have sq in her home,so would be easiest in am!
    I am hoping Loopy will recieve sq for care, if not???I will try
    Thanks all!
    LadySq...bit my tongue!

I just spoke with Jackie. She is coordinating arrangements, and I'm standing by to help with squirrel train tomorrow.

Rough plan so far:

Squirrel finders drive to Miami to meet me (1+ hr)

I meet Jackie halfway between Tampa and Miami (2+ hrs each way)

Jackie delivers squirrel to Loopysquirrel for rehab.

We need to find out of squirrel finders can drive to Miami and arrange times and so on.
    Henry's Healthy Pets

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

I have ALL phone numbers...let me know...

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie in Tampa
    I have ALL phone numbers...let me know...
    I'm just waiting for a call from you or Loopy. Feel free to share my phone # if needed.
    Henry's Healthy Pets

loopy will take sq...on the phone now

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast