Thread: Baby Preston straining

Default Baby Preston straining

He is straining to have bm's do you think I should omit the baby cereal that Dr. said I should add to the formula?
    Or should I give something else to help him go?

Pa. licenced Rehabber

Default Re: Baby Preston straining

If this baby wasnt having bathroom problems before the addition of the baby cereal then I would definately stop using it. I dont use it anyway as they get every thing they need in the formula alone and when they need to start transitioning to solids then I start them with cheerios, rat block, and small peeled fruit and vege slices. Good luck and I hope by the time you read this that this baby is no longer in need of any help! Stacey

I agree, i would discontinue the cereal. I always used to add baby rice cereal to my eyes-open squirrels' formula, but our very own Chris Clark told me at the NJ rehabber conference this spring that it's not really beneficial, and rehabbers are not doing it anymore. She suggested that if you can grind up some rodent block very very fine and add that to the formula, it provides far better nutrition and doesn't "plug them up" like rice does. I got a small, $8 electric coffee grinder and it really turns the Mazuri blocks into powder...I add that to the Esbilac when the babies' eyes open.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

How is Baby Preston doing this morning

Critter_Queen Guest

As always, I agree with IR. Nix the cereal and grind up some rodent block to add to the formula. Works well. I too, bought my grinder for cheap ($5 at Wal-mart a year ago, so probably $10 now!) and it grinds up the block in less than a minute. VERY COOL.

Tried to make egg-food for my finches with it once...my advice: never put "wet" food in your grinder. It's HARD to get it clean again when you can't submerge the unit!!

he's doing much better! Running around at greater speeds even! Poor little guy!

Pa. licenced Rehabber

Wink Re: Baby Preston straining

Hope preston is doing great today rippie-n-lilgirlsmom!!~

I don't know how to help ya but mon chee always says mom could you not watch me use the potty please. She gets love nuggets that stop halfway if I look
    We must be the change we wish to see in the world. ~Gandhi

*Squirrels are not our WHOLE life,but they make our lives WHOLE!*
    “Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn sometimes”

Squirrelly1 Guest

Hi there! Been CRAZY,BUSY, HECTIC.......... How is the little Preston doing??
    I need to see pics... I am sure his namesake would be proud!!! Are there pics on here that I have been missing???

I still think of my Preston every day!!!

I am sure you do think of your Preston everyday, I sure would also.
    Someday when this litte guy is bigger I will tell him how he is named after another little guy named Preston and how his
    Mom loved him very much , the way we love him. He will be honored to carry on that name.
    This was last week he has really grown in the past week..new pics coming in the next day or 2! One thing I can tell you about his little personality..if something dosent just suit him or he dosent recignize (sp) me right away he jumps at the cage and lets me know he dosent like me right then. He has no idea of his little size.

Pa. licenced Rehabber