Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Food Data Chart Update: Calcium to Phosphorus Ratios

PBluejay2 Guest

Default Food Data Chart Update: Calcium to Phosphorus Ratios

I've updated the chart to include some missing foods. Chart 2 is in alphabetical order, listing milligrams of calcium to milligrams of phosphorus per 100 grams of food, along with the ratios. Chart 3 ranks them highest to lowest as far as ratio of calcium to phosphorus. This is for informative purposes only, not to incite debate on what foods have what (e.g. pumpkin seeds). In addition, if anyone inclined to do the math, he or she can weigh one gram of food "A" with "X" number of milligrams of phosphorus and calcium (even micrograms) and balance out "X" number of grams of a food with more milligrams of calcium and phosphorus to achieve the 2:1 balance (assuming your squirrel will eat all of both). I personally don't have that kind of ambition or time, so I wanted to know which foods had the higher calcium to phosphorus ratios (regardless of amount of milligrams of each mineral) so that when I went grocery shopping I could lean toward the healthiest choices. My designations of "Good," "Risky," and so forth are completely arbitrary, and you can make your own decisions about individual foods, but I tried to classify for general categories. I hope this helps some of you.

PS: IR, if a "sticky" means it's one of the post always at the beginning of a thread, I humbly offer that this might be included.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Food Date Chart Update: Calcium to Phosphorus Ratios

Thanks for these.

My only comment/question regards the listing of mushrooms as "evil." Those of us with flyers give mushrooms several times a week because flyers are nocturnal and flyers can produce their own vitamin D if they get mushrooms, and vitamin D is needed to metabolize calcium. Thoughts, anyone?
    + =

"Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?"
    -Gimli, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

PBluejay2 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ardilla
    Thanks for these.

My only comment/question regards the listing of mushrooms as "evil." Those of us with flyers give mushrooms several times a week because flyers are nocturnal and flyers can produce their own vitamin D if they get mushrooms, and vitamin D is needed to metabolize calcium. Thoughts, anyone?

I know very little about flyers, and it's true that mushrooms are one of the very few foods that provide vitamin D, and vitamin D is necessary to metabolize calcium so I have to pass on this question, really. The chart was intended simply to compare calcium to phosphorus in foods--which is a major concern for greys and foxers.

Mickey's Mom Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PBluejay2
    I hope this helps some of you.

Thanks PBluejay2! This will be very helpful to me.

Silly question here.....

What's the difference between pumpkin & the pumpkin under 'winter squash'?
    Shanon, Squammy to...

PBluejay2 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Legomom0701
    Silly question here.....

What's the difference between pumpkin & the pumpkin under 'winter squash'?

I'm not a vegetable expert by any means, but even though a pumpkin is in the "squash" category, there is such a thing called a "pumpkin squash" which is different than what I, at least, call a "pumpkin." I'll have to let someone else who is better versed answer.

I'm not a vegetable expert by any means, but even though a pumpkin is in the "squash" category, there is such a thing called a "pumpkin squash" which is different than what I, at least, call a "pumpkin." I'll have to let someone else who is better versed answer.
    A pumpkin is a type of winter squash. So is an acorn squash, etc. They're usually quite similar nutritionally.
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

yes, there is a pumpkin squash, which is different from a pumpkin, they look like cute lil mini pumpkins, but they are not just small punkins, they are tiny, fit in the palm of your hand

three dogs- Meadow- a shelter pup, she's a staffordshire/wirehair terrier mix with the accent on wirehair. Jorge- purebred chihuahua, white with tan spots, and Chloe- a farm dog adopted as a puppy, lab/sheperd mix and Al my released into the wild grey squirrel who still hangs out for a snack, with his posse of squirrels and tiny brown birds(they clean up the mess)

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Al's mom from:

Rocky102014 (10-08-2017)

I know there's a difference between the pumpkins you carve and the ones called sugar or cooking pumpkins? they've less seeds and stuff I think...

i am so much more than a body.

every moment is an opportunity to begin recovery.

today is tomorrow's history.,

Any ideas about chayotes? DH picked one up the other day....thought it might be ok for the babies.
    Shanon, Squammy to...

Any ideas about chayotes? DH picked one up the other day....thought it might be ok for the babies.
    Looks like a good one! Good calc/phos ratio and lots of other vitamins. I might add it to the "Healthy Diet" list.
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

I'll let you know what Teddy & Christine think. (My personal food critics! )
    Shanon, Squammy to...

OOPS! I meant to tell you that they both like the chayotes!
    Shanon, Squammy to...

OOPS! I meant to tell you that they both like the chayotes!
    So do I -- with butter, garlic & salt....yummmmmmmm
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

Rocky102014 (10-08-2017)

Rover the Tortle will add his stamp of approval for this delicious treat! I actually got a deal on 4 of them, and 2 started sprouting on my kitchen counter after just a couple of days. Since I don't have a yard with room to grow them, a friend volunteered to give them a chance. I'll let you know how that goes throughout the summer...

emberphyer Guest

I would love to read this list but i was inable to open the file. Is there another way to post it? - Emebrphyer

I converted them to .pdf. See if you can open these. If not, private message me with your email address & I can email them to you. (Let me know if you prefer MS Word or Adobe.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Shanon, Squammy to...

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Legomom from:

Rocky102014 (10-08-2017)

A chayote is a really ugly green, wrinkled, pear-shaped member of the squash/gourd family. They are known by several different names, including vegetable pear. You have to wonder who first decided it was something edible!

Great info!!!

Thank you for taking the time to put this together in such a neat, orderly fashion! Your hard work is very much appreciated.

I'm happy with most of the information I found out, most of the things I feed my Chipmunks are on the plus side - but ohh I am restricting those pumpkin seeds now! The only other thing I feed them that wasn't on here is Rosehips, I wondered how they would score so I checked the second website you listed - for any Curious Critters they're pro-calcium (about 2.7:1 I think? Not sure I did it right..).

PBluejay2—I came across this thread tonight via another thread and it is Great! That was a lot of effort on the nutritional chart and I like that you made one alpha and the based on the numbers—good thinking!
    —E
    “Why she Had to go I don't know,
    she wouldn't say,
    now I long for yesterday."
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his LIFE, his LOVE, his LEADER. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"—Unknown
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 28