Thread: Exotic Nutrition

Default Exotic Nutrition

Has anyone tried these supplements with squirrels who won't eat the blocks? Squirrel-cal and squirrel booster?Attachment 320390Attachment 320391Attachment 320392Attachment 320393

Default Re: Exotic Nutrition

I don’t really trust anything Exotic Nutrition manufactures. You can get the same sort of product made by someone that is 100% trustworthy to not include any added unnecessary or dangerous ingredients. Check the Henry’s Pets online website. Leigh (the owner) is a member on TSB and manufactures the Henry’s squirrel blocks.

I’m not sure which blocks you were referring to your squirrel not eating. But, if you haven’t tried Henry’s Picky or Hazelnut blocks I’d purchase some. Most squirrels like them.

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

island rehabber (11-16-2021), Spanky (11-16-2021), stepnstone (11-16-2021)

I bought the Henry's healthy blocks. She picks and nibbles at them but doesn't eat them completely. I started giving her the booster and cal on her veggies and she eats them. She's very healthy and 90 miles an hour most of the time. She's 13 weeks now. Haven't tried any other blocks. Sux I bought 2 bags and she doesn't eat them.

Store them in the freezer. What she doesn’t like today she might like next week.

6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Chirps (11-18-2021), ddhall (11-16-2021), sundoesshine (11-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Dinomacc View Post
    I bought the Henry's healthy blocks. She picks and nibbles at them but doesn't eat them completely. I started giving her the booster and cal on her veggies and she eats them. She's very healthy and 90 miles an hour most of the time. She's 13 weeks now. Haven't tried any other blocks. Sux I bought 2 bags and she doesn't eat them.
    So you’re already supplementing with the Exotic Nutrition stuff? Please be aware, I read the ingredients and it doesn’t say how much of each ingredient is included. There is Vitamin D in one of the products….. vitamin D can be toxic to rodents if the concentration is high enough. It’s used in rodenticides.

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (11-16-2021), stepnstone (11-16-2021)

When you started her on solid foods, were block (Henry's) the first and only solid food you gave her? Block first, nothing else until and unless she is eating (not shredding, but eating) the block.

Does she still get formula?

We found her about 3 weeks old.. I've only given her the stuff twice (the booster & squirrel-cal.) We hadn't found this site until after she started refusing the lamb replacement milk and eating solid foods (around 8 weeks) We gave her veggies, oats, fruit and nuts before we got the blocks. As I said she picks and partially eats them but not completely. I've given her 2 a day and one gets partially eaten. I did notice today she knocked one into the water bowl and it swelled up next thing I know she was sitting on her log eating it. I'm going to try withholding everything but the blocks and make her get used to them. I've seen some posts suggesting that would work. I just wanted to know what anyone thought about the booster and squirrel cal if the blocks didn't work. As I said she's very active and healthy. Runs laps in her cage until I get up then she's running laps around me, the couch, my wife, the living room etc and playing with the dog lol. She gets all the fresh veggies she can eat, I've seen Henry's nutrition chart and we follow it. BTW she's 13-14 weeks now. BTW I thought they needed the vitamin D for their metabolism, in the wild its from the sun? Henry's blocks have D3 as well.
    Attachment 320403

You are correct, they do need vitamin D to assimilate the calcium. The question is how much is in the Exotic Nutrition product? That’s why I recommended using the Henry’s multi vitamin powder instead.

I know from your previous posts that your intent is to keep her. Considering that, you MUST get her to eat some type of rodent block. Henry’s are the most palatable, but other block like Envigo Harlan Teklad block can be ground and mixed with veggie/fruit baby food and some other ingredients and turned into boo balls which makes this block tastier. There’s recipes for boo balls in the Nutrition section.

You keep mentioning how active she is, which is great. But if she doesn’t get the necessary calcium and nutrients in her diet she will likely develop metabolic bone disease. It’s not going to show up immediately, but it will in time. It sounds as though she weaned from formula at a very early age (8 weeks)….we like to see them stay on formula for 10-12 weeks. And the formula she was on was “lamb replacement” formula? I’ve never heard of this. Was it actually goat replacement formula? Could you post the name of the product you used?

You say she’s eating veggies, fruits, nuts and nibbling the block. It’s imperative that you stop all nuts. Nuts are very unhealthy for squirrels. They are very high in phosphorous and upset the calcium to phosphorous ratio in the squirrel. This is what causes MBD. I know they eat them in the wild, but they have access to all the other necessary wild foods to keep their calcium to phosphorous ratio in balance. Nuts and seeds should be given as a treat only.

All of this is a little concerning to me, especially considering you intend to keep her. You’ll have to implement tough love to get her to actually consume the block in order for her to stay healthy.

I figured out kind of on accident that if the blocks are soaked in water they swell and then she has started to eat more of them. I have started only giving her the blocks in the morning and waiting until the afternoon to give her the plate of veggies and that's helping as well.

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Dinomacc:

Mel1959 (11-17-2021), sundoesshine (11-18-2021)

Instead of soaking the block with water why not try formula for the added nutrition?

15. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Dinomacc (11-17-2021), island rehabber (11-17-2021), SammysMom (11-17-2021), SamtheSquirrel2018 (11-17-2021), sundoesshine (11-18-2021)

I have to say this is the first time I have ever heard of anyone using lamb replacement formula on a squirrel. When she was on this formula did you have any problems with diarrhea? That’s usually what we see when squirrels are fed a formula that isn’t recommended. There’s even a difference between the Esbilac liquid and the Esbilac powdered. We never recommend the liquid because of this.

Any other rehab folks out there had any experience with lamb replacement formula? You’ve got my curiosity peaked now.

As I've said,, we've never had a squirrel, knew nothing about squirrel nutrition but I am one who does extensive research when I want to know about something. When we found her I started doing research. As you mentioned you never heard of using lambs milk but we used it and had success. Don't think anyone knows it all and has the magic formula for every squirrels health as many people and sites say different things. You have to weed through the bs and find what works for you and your animals.
    I found on another site use lambs replacement milk.. it has probiotics for healthy gut.. We had No problems with diarrhea or anything at all to this day. I recommendedit to others I know who found baby's and it worked well for them too.. Loki loved it, did great on it and as I said she's very active and healthy. At around 8 weeks she started to refuse the milk period. I had a gerbil/hamster water bottle in her house she started drinking water and wanting solid foods. She loved Cheerios, nuts and veggies and we gave her Vita Prima hamster and gerbil food. Still do. Found this site and seriously started getting worried reading some of the crap on here and horror stories about people's squirrels health. "Gotta have Henry's blocks" nothing else! Um what's wrong with other vitamins and supplements from other manufacturers? What about full spectrum lights to replace the sunlight they aren't getting which gives them vitamin D in the wild and keeps their metabolism straight? With All due respect it Makes me wonder sometimes if it's just people promoting a friend's product. You all say nuts a re bad, I read on an animal hospital website, a section about squirrel nutrition saying nuts are good for a squirrel. Who's right? The wilds in our yard are eating the heck out of the acorns covering the ground. Before I found this site I was giving her nuts freely. No health problems to date.. I have cut back to a couple a day (think she's mad about that too as she hunts for my nut stash lol)BTW I tried soaking the (highly epensive) healthy blocks in the formula as suggested she snubbed her nose at it. She just doesn't want these 2 bags of blocks I paid 40 bucks for however, she eats up the veggies with the squirrel cal and booster sprinkled on it. I've read lots of reviews saying it's great stuff. I bought a repti-sun uva/uvb light I keep on during the day. I don't know the magic formula but so far I've raised a happy, loving and healthy squirrel. She loves her daddy, to my surprise being a wild animal she's very obedient and listens to commands. She cuddles and purrs and plays. I reach my hand in her nest when she's sleeping at night multiple times a night and she takes her little paws pulls my finger to her and nozzles her head into my palm. When I try to remove my hand she pulls it back in to her lol., mommy not as much (she's bitten her twice and thinks her feet are some demon spawn that she needs to kill lol) Dont know how people think it's better for a squirrel to be in the wild and they'd be happier. Just don't see that. Having to fight for a home, food, stressed out all day everyday trying to survive in general, (cats, coons, hawks, owls)(especially the winter) and those evil botflys! I appreciate the knowledge I get in here and wish everyone health and happiness! Attachment 320416https://youtu.be/hWUxI2vW6Cg

There is a huge difference in wild squirrels eating nuts and captive squirrels eating a lot of nuts. Wild Squirrels don't get MBD. However, MBD is the number one killer of adolescent and adult squirrels under the care of humans. MBD is caused by a poor Ca:Phos ratios... nuts and seeds are way out of whack. These are the just the facts.

Many folks here multiple different rodent block (like Teklad, Mazuri... but not hamster and gerbil food), especially those reahabbing lots of squirrels and have lots of experience.

Henry's is the TSB "go to" recommendation because it is well like by squirrels and most of those coming here are "casual" rehabbers trying to raise a single squirrel or a single litter. If you are raising a single squirrel to ~15 weeks for release, it only takes a few bags of Henry's. And buying something they will eat and that is very good for them is cheaper than buying things they won't (or shouldn't?) eat.

Most folks that arrive at TSB benefit from the collective knowledge that is offered. Unfortunately some will discard that knowledge in favor of repeating errors readily identified or experimenting with the lives of the baby squirrels. Too many of those passing through learn the very hard way... they wake up one day to find their adolescent (12 - 16 weeks) squirrel dead in the bottom of the cage, or dragging it's paralyzed hind end. They post stories about how "healthy and active" their squirrel was just the day before, having discarded the advice provided by TSB about diet. And about squirrels masking their illness and pain. Once they are demonstrating illness or pain, you can be assured it is extremely serious situation. They are hard-wired to mask illness and injury.

FWIW - 8 weeks to way too young for a squirrel to wean from formula. I'd suggest there may be a lesson to be learned here about lamb's milk formula. And the fat and protein levels of the product above are off for a squirrel.

Don't be surprised if your cuddly cute squirrel starts to wild up over the next few weeks and months. Take caution about her being around other people as she gets older, most squirrels are single person animals and will viciously attack other people. There are always exceptions, but this outcome is more likely.
    Young and adolescent squirrels are usually very friendly and nice. But as they get older, they usually will start wild up...

20. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Mel1959 (11-18-2021), sundoesshine (11-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Store them in the freezer. What she doesn’t like today she might like next week.
    Veery true. Mine was very picky, and his tastes changed constantly. I'd make him boo balls using an apple slice and he'd loove it, but I'd have to switch to pear, mango etc or he'd burn out. After a while on those along with phasing out how much nut I would lace them with, he now eats the Harlands on their own.

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to sundoesshine from:

Mel1959 (11-18-2021)

We’ve all been where you are…trying to do the very best to raise a squirrel when prior to finding it you knew nothing about squirrels. This board is comprised of decades worth of knowledge from rehabbers who have successfully raised and released thousands of squirrels. Through this process there have been failures and lessons to be learned. We, as a group, try to educate folks about the cause of those failures when we learn why and how we failed. I understand you being skeptical and trying to decipher what you read on every internet site, but don’t make your squirrel a guinea pig by not following sound advice.

If you are such an avid researcher then I suggest you do some thorough research on MBD as well as the maturation process of squirrels.

I was where you are with a female squirrel I raised. I actually released her with her sisters at 16+ weeks but had to bring her back inside because she fell and suffered head trauma. Because she was going to be inside with me for several months…or maybe forever…I started interacting with her on a much more cuddly level. We established a routine that included, lots of out of cage play time and cuddling every night and being rocked to sleep. I, too, could put my hand in her cube, take a nut from her and basically do anything I needed to with her. She liked my husband equally as much. After treating her with meds for many weeks it became evident that she was going to be able to return to the trees. But, I wasn’t sure I wanted to let her go. I couldn’t imagine her surviving outside or not wanting to be with me.

As it turned out she made that decision for me. When she went into her first estrus cycle she flipped like a switch. While playing as I’d always done with her she bit me. This happened repeatedly, to the point that I was scared to handle her. She also began pacing from window to window while out in her room. These are all signs of wilding up and wanting to be free. Some squirrels will begin obsessive compulsive behavior like doing backflips in the cage or over grooming.

I agree that a wild life is scary and uncertain, but it’s still what most squirrels want. There are always exceptions. I hope your girl is one of them.

As for the possibility of MBD….it’s very real. If you don’t want to believe what folks on here are telling you have a talk with Dr. Emerson in Port Orange. I believe you implied she was your vet. She has seen captive squirrels that have MBD.

By the way, that female squirrel was released and has lived in a nest box in a tree in my side yard for almost 5 years. She still jumps on my husband and myself and comes into the garage for treats out of the fridge. She’s had 5 litters of babies…..I call this a success story.

24. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Dinomacc (11-18-2021), sundoesshine (11-18-2021)

I understand MBD and know it is real. And trust me when I tell you we are animal lovers, we love our Loki very much and I wouldn't be on here trying to gain knowledge from you all who've been where I am before if I didn't want the absolute best for her and especially her health. I would love nothing more than for her to happily eat these 2 bags of blocks I bought for her, for her health and for hate to waste money. I tried soaking them in the formula she doesn't want it. I understand as well that, yeah you want them to stay on the formula as long as possible but I've seen numerous posts on here where squirrels wean themselves and some early as 8 weeks which our loki is one. BTW as many posts I've seen with problems with the esibilac formula (give it, stop giving it there's problems with it, it's OK again, stop it again, etc. Even right now there's a warning on Henry's pets website about it) I wouldn't trust it. Lambs replacement milk worked fine for us. (Seems there's a lesson to be learned here). I have cleaned out her home and left nothing but 2 blocks in it. I guess we'll have a standoff. I thought about soaking them in something else maybe? Wish they had sample size bags you could get with the different kinds of blocks to try so you'd know which ones your squirrel will prefer.(makes sense)Attachment 320421

Yes, I can tell you are dedicated to Loki. And I understand the confusion about Esbilac. There are many rehabbers that are still successfully using it BUT they don’t use it by itself. They either add whipping cream, Fox Valley Ultraboost or another type of recommended formula. That way the animal they’re feeding isn’t completely dependent on the nutrients that only one formula provides.

Esbilac is recommended because it’s readily available for people coming on the board and in crisis mode because they found a squirrel. There has been great success using the homemade goats milk formula that is listed on the Henry’s website, but that is only a temporary formula. It doesn’t provide the proper ratio of nutrients for a growing squirrel either….BUT….it will keep a baby nourished and alive for the first few weeks until the finder can order and receive Fox Valley 20/50.

If you check the Henry’s site periodically they offer bags of “mixed blocks” at a very discounted price. You are limited to purchasing only one bag and you don’t know which variety each individual block is, but it would give Loki an opportunity to try a variety of the blocks. Some of the blocks are lighter in color and I can tell that those are hazelnut or wild bite blocks, but aside from that there’s no good way to tell…..except for sampling it yourself to see if you can detect the variety of nut. They’re made from human quality ingredients so no harm in trying.

You questioned why the majority of people on here are recommending Henry’s products and that it might be promoting a friends company. That’s not really it. It’s because we do know her that we can trust her and what’s in her products. There are rehabbers that will never use a PetAg product again due to their lack of trust from the Esbilac debacle

27. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Dinomacc (11-18-2021), sundoesshine (11-18-2021)

I would love nothing more than for her to happily eat these 2 bags of blocks I bought for her
    We assumed watching videos of nice a guy raising 2 squirrels was good; he seemed to have researched an official protocol. Once I found the board (out of desperation) I realized there were important things not explained and we had on our hands a wild and picky monster. When I look back on our baby pics a year later, I can see he isn't as healthy as we thought and most likely had some level of mbd.

Anyhoo I just thought of something - use those Henry's blocks as a boo ball base! Start with making one to figure out what she'll love before making a batch (1 block and a mushed fruit). Note, if you use grapes peel em, if you use orange, peel as much white stuff off. Since yours likes em kinda soggy it'll be that much easier!

29. Serious fuzzy thank you's to sundoesshine from:

Dinomacc (11-18-2021)

Ordered the vitamin and calcium supplements from henrys today. I'll try those boo balls with the henrys blocks. I'm trying everything!

31. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Dinomacc from:

Mel1959 (11-19-2021)