Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rugby's Calcionate Syrup

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

Thumbs up Rugby's Calcionate Syrup

NeoCalGluCon has been discontinued!
    This is MY replacement choice...research has been done and this is dang near the exact same thing! Doses are even the same!
    .3cc is 100mg calcium. I dose this amount daily.
    Some of our members disagree with this...so do your own homework! I like it!
    This is not prescription and is cheaper if NOT purchased thru vet! google it!
    Some of our members have been using this for years, and have some of the older sqs here! That says something!
    This will not keep your sq alive, but is a suppliment!
    I realize that there are better , more absorbed forms of calcium, but my sqs like this. It is safe and we are not real sure of how SQS metabolize calcium anyway, all testing based on people and rats!
    I am not a medical mind and know that someone will hopefully post info on this product, the pros and cons!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Default Re: Rugby's Calcionate Syrup

How do you administer it?
    Shanon, Squammy to...

I orally syringe it...others add to water bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie in Tampa
    This is MY replacement choice...research has been done and this is dang near the exact same thing! Doses are even the same!
    Some of our members have been using this for years, and have some of the older sqs here! That says something!
    I realize that there are better , more absorbed forms of calcium, but my sqs like this. It is safe and we are not real sure of how SQS metabolize calcium anyway, all testing based on people and rats!
    I am not a medical mind and know that someone will hopefully post info on this product, the pros and cons!
    My calculations came out as follows:

5 cc calcionate syrup = 1,800 mg calcium glubionate = 119 mg calcium

so,

.3 cc calcionate syrup = 7.9 mg calcium

What does the back label say? Couldn't find it anywhere online.
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

foxsquirrels Guest

http://lists.gekkota.com/pipermail/g...ry/000938.html

This was the only thing I found that kind of references one to the other!

Here's all that I could find: (Jackie, can you take a pic of the back of the bottle, if there is any info there?)

Very high calcium concentrate liquid oral supplement One teaspoon has 1.8 grams of calcium glubionate Great for any animal needing calcium supplementation Pint bottles Ingredients: Purified water, sorbitol, sucrose, citric acid, benzoic acid, saccharin sodium, caramel and orange flavor.

Brand Name: Calcionate

Generic Drug: Calcium Glubionate

Active Ingredient: calcium glubionate
    Dose Form Description: syrup
    Route Description: oral
    Calcionate Strength Description: 1.8 g/5 mL
    Shanon, Squammy to...

Tomo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie in Tampa

EXCELLENT Product! Dr. P prescribed this for my Tomo and I also use it for seizing babies. Now, all babies that come into the sanctuary get a small dose and it truly makes them feel better if they are not feeling so well. It is administered by the weight of the squirrel. For babies, I just dip the tip of a 1cc syringe into it and then gently push that into their mouths so they can lick it off. Tomo was about 212 grams and I was giving her .25 ccs to help with her calcium level. The only con I am aware of would be administering too much. For daily treatment of healthy squirrels, Dr. P recommended putting it into their drinking water.

I don't have time now to ask questions, but wanted all to have this so I can ask later!

whopoopwrasse Guest

so weird that you posted this today, I just went to the pharmacy and bought this:

whopoopwrasse Guest

oops, I forgot, I put 15ml calcium in 60ml water and put the same amount of water in another bowl just outside the cage, tomorrow I will measure both to see how much mix she is taking in if any.

Chesters_mom Guest

Didn't they say once that sacharin caused cancer in laboratory mice? Or is that the same kind?

I was hoping all the smarty members would have this figured out for me by now!
    I want to dose 100mg daily...so how much is that in cc's????
    I have to use a calcium sup...I have to, so is this "the one".
    Thanks Tomo for sharing DrPs approval.
    4S, what is the bottom line, your opinion??
    Sacarine...???

whopoopwrasse Guest

this gets confusing, this is what I found:

You cannot directly convert milligrams (mg) to cubic centimeters (cc). The milligram is a unit of mass (or weight), whereas the cubic centimeter is a unit of volume. You can convert milliliters, however, to cubic centimenters. In fact, they are equivalent; that is, 1 ml = 1 cc.

Quote Originally Posted by whopoopwrasse
    this gets confusing, this is what I found:

You cannot directly convert milligrams (mg) to cubic centimeters (cc). The milligram is a unit of mass (or weight), whereas the cubic centimeter is a unit of volume. You can convert milliliters, however, to cubic centimenters. In fact, they are equivalent; that is, 1 ml = 1 cc.
    OK, so ...
    how much cc's or ml's is 100ish mg of calcium?
    math is a foriegn language that I took in school, but never really had to use!

(BTW the calculation below is not converting cc's to mgs, but showing equivalence, in other words, 5 cc of the syrup is equivalent to 1,800 mg calcium glub., not by weight or by measure, but meaning that "if you've got 5cc of syrup, you've got 1,800 mg of calc. glubionate." Hope this helps.)

5 cc calcionate syrup = 1,800 mg calcium glubionate = 119 mg calcium

so,

.3 cc calcionate syrup = 7.9 mg calcium
    Jackie, The bottom line is:

to provide 100 mg of calcium, you'd need just under 5 ccs of the syrup.

I don't know about sacharine; I thought we weren't supposed to use "artificial sweeteners" but that's just what everyone says. I don't know the reasoning behind it. Maybe one of the rehabbers knows.
    Henry's Healthy Pets

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

Whopoopwrasse, The stuff you bought seems to have about the same strength as Jackie's:

15 ml (or cc) = 300 mg calcium

5 ml (or cc) = 100 mg calcium
    Henry's Healthy Pets

Quote Originally Posted by 4skwerlz
    (BTW the calculation below is not converting cc's to mgs, but showing equivalence, in other words, 5 cc of the syrup is equivalent to 1,800 mg calcium glub., not by weight or by measure, but meaning that "if you've got 5cc of syrup, you've got 1,800 mg of calc. glubionate." Hope this helps.)

Jackie, The bottom line is:

to provide 100 mg of calcium, you'd need just under 5 ccs of the syrup.

I don't know about sacharine; I thought we weren't supposed to use "artificial sweeteners" but that's just what everyone says. I don't know the reasoning behind it. Maybe one of the rehabbers knows.
    So are you saying ...to get 100mg daily I would have to dose 5 1cc syringes...that will not work!
    I am still shopping if that is the case! I paid $38.50...

I explained this in another thread but in case you didn't see it, the reason 5 cc of syrup contains 1,800 mg calc. glub. but only 119 calcium, is that calc. glub. is not pure calcium; it is a calcium salt. It contains calcium plus other things. What counts is the amount of pure CALCIUM in it, also called "elemental calcium."

So,

5 cc calcionate syrup contains 1,800 mg calcium glubionate but only 119 mg of pure calcium.

Hope this makes sense.
    Henry's Healthy Pets

So I will have to drown them in sugar water to get a dab??? no way...I need a more concentrated sup!

whopoopwrasse Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 4skwerlz
    Whopoopwrasse, The stuff you bought seems to have about the same strength as Jackie's:

15 ml (or cc) = 300 mg calcium

5 ml (or cc) = 100 mg calcium
    So I just calculated that if I put in 15mls in the 60mls of water, I got 75mls total, I also got 13 mls of evaporation over night (checked with the second bowl) and this morning there was 34 mls left in her bowl, which means she ingested about half of the mix (which also means she likes the taste! ) so she's going to get around 100-150mgs calcium daily this way.That's not too bad... not enough but not bad!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast