Thread: Has anyone ever heard of a squirrel eating smoked salmon?

MomOf2squirrels Guest

Default Has anyone ever heard of a squirrel eating smoked salmon?

Tonight I got home from work and let Galileo out of her cage as usual. I gave her some nuts and got my smoked salmon out of the fridge She was running around as usual and then came up to me as she usually does to see what moms eating she snatched a chunk of salmon right out of my hand as she often does with things I am eating but never any type of thing that was once alive. I'm completely shocked. I thought squirrels were vegetarians. Has anyone elses squirrels ever done something like this? She usually smells meat and backs off. Also let me add she is a well fed squirrel who's diet consists of fresh vegetables and fruit. And nuts for treats. Never have I seen her go after meat of any kind.

Default Re: Has anyone ever heard of a squirrel eating smoked salmon?

I've never had smoked salmon in the room with my squirrels, but just looking at the packaging that mine is in it's pretty high in sodium so I wouldn't recommend it.

Bev
    HOF to Benji, Nibbles & Opie
    Discover Florida adventure at http://www.nwfloa.com

HOF to Ziva-Sophie
    HOF to Tony
    HOF to Amelia (Emilio) Earhart

Benji, earned her wings 3/10/2018
    Opie, earned his wings 7/3/18
    Nibbles, earned her wings 6/25/2013

MomOf2squirrels Guest

Well as a rule I don't feed her smoked salmon she snatched it right out of my hand.

MomOf2squirrels Guest

Pnerissa Maybe the salt was what she was after. none of her food she eats is salted.

... does this mean i have 1 more baby to add to my list to worrrie about stealing my bacon i already have my cats stealing it on me if they do eat meat.....*sighs* now i gotta fight not only 2 cats now a squirrel for my bacon... its bad enof that i have to worrie about going to the bathroom n them stealing it n no shearing is not an option its MY BACON
    Fomay The Squirrel

mjs Olympia's Photos http://s981.photobucket.com/albums/a...palma/Olympia/

mjs Olympia's Thread http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=35525

mjs You Tube http://www.youtube.com/user/JJBBGirl85?feature=mhee

Olympia's facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/messages/olympia.squirrelson
    This person cant spell for Shiz and they have BAD arse grammer

Quote Originally Posted by MomOf2squirrels
    Pnerissa Maybe the salt was what she was after. none of her food she eats is salted.
    That's a good bet. I've had Benji wrestle me for a piece of garlic bread once, and heaven forbid I have salt on my fingers when I go to take her out of her cage because she'll grab my fingers and not let go until she's licked them clean. I keep a mineral block in her cage for those types of cravings but I swear she never touches it.
    Discover Florida adventure at http://www.nwfloa.com

HOF to Ziva-Sophie
    HOF to Tony
    HOF to Amelia (Emilio) Earhart

Benji, earned her wings 3/10/2018
    Opie, earned his wings 7/3/18
    Nibbles, earned her wings 6/25/2013

I firmly believe that all of us crave and will eat foods that contain something we need (OK, maybe chocolate after a few bites is a stretch). You really would be shocked to see what some squirrels here (released or wild) have eaten! Animal bones in the wild are devoured by mice and squirrels for the calcium and other minerals. Salt licks are visited by animals all the time, as well. My son has Cystic Fibrosis, therefore his sweat is almost pure salt;I have had squirrels spend long periods of time licking him. Squirrels will jump right on you and steal candy bars right out of your hand and other places. Didn't I see where Jackie in Tampa has a squirrel that likes pork? A little something every now and then, no matter how off the wall won't kill them!
    Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator: NFSA Emergency Care
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"
    http://www.thearkwildlifecareandsanctuary.com/

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Anne
    Squirrels will jump right on you and steal candy bars right out of your hand
    Been there, done that!! Lucy wanted a bite of a Hershey's Nugget (Extra Creamy Milk Chocolate with Toffee & Almonds - mm mm mm) one evening so I was going to let her take a little bite. Yeah, she took the entire thing from my fingers and ate it in mere seconds. When she steals something she always takes it up on top of the kitchen cabinets where I can't reach. I shudder to think what rotting contraband exists on top of those cabinets.
    Every once in a while my husband gets up there and hands me down the worst of it. It's a wonder we don't get roaches & rats.
    LICENSED MISSOURI WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR

MomOf2squirrels Guest

Galileo doesn't touch the mineral block either. And always helps herself and has a feeling of entitlement to anything I have. I was just surprised that she would go after salmon. Seeing that it was once a living thing. But then my brother pointed out to me that they eat insects too. So I guess it is not all that unusual. She could have been after the omega 3 She loves avocados too. Thankfully I usually eat good food and not that much candy cause she'll take that too and has. I've had her 3 years and she's a bit spoiled and pretty much gets her way.

That's just funny. Hope he doesn't make a habit of it.
    Ya know, most everyone seems to think squirrels are just vegetarians. Not true.
    The also eat insects, eggs and baby birds. Flyers even more so.

Wanna see a picture of Galileo! Is she a foxer?
    We live in a heaven created by our virtues --- Muktananda

MomOf2squirrels Guest

Here is a picture of her on the porch probably watching for the hawk. No JLM27 she isn't a foxer. She's a grey squirrel and is the love of my life. We are having lots of fun with the Christmas tree this year.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Call me a worry wort but when you said, her "diet consists of fresh vegetables and fruit. And nuts for treats", I just wanted to make sure that she's also eating a good quality rodent block, ideally Henry's. It just seems that every day there's someone in the Emergency area worried sick about their baby who's now lethargic, paralyzed, and/or seizing after months or years of that very diet. So many of them die or never fully recover. I just want to make sure that you know that blocks are supposed to be the mainstay of the diet.

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=32218

The other day Flip snatched an oreo right out of my hubby's hand! I chased after him trying to get it, I only managed to get half, but thank the lord it was the half with the filling on it lol! He has actually had the oreo piece for 3 days now. He eats a few bites then hides it. He won't let me near him when I see him with it and hides it when he's done! He will not touch any kind of meat tho.... I do give him the bones out of my roasts after I wash them and clean them off but he doesnt like any kind of meat.
    S4D

Squirrels are omnivores. They do eat other animals and eggs if they get a chance. She was probably after the salt. They are so curious....you just never know with squirrels.

Grey squirrels ar also really on of the more aggressive species, so I am not suprised your squirrel stole it and ate it.

Ohh and yes, rodent blocks!!! Henry's Healthy Blocks are great and have complete nutrition in case the diet your squirrel is on doesn't provide everything.

Members who have read this thread: 1