Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: my new little sick squirrel..

Default Re: my new little sick squirrel..

Hi again after some time..

She looks OK. She doesn't look weak. She is eating.. She is eating that she can live, she is alive.. so she must have been eating some.. i don't see what!?..
    Her food trays are untouched, or nibbled on a piece of fruit a very small tiny amount, that's all. She doesn't have any stash because i have cage and nestboxes cleaned after this wound-ecollar period started.
    I noticed she loves oats (quick cooking). So it is there in the cage dusted w/ calcium. Shall i keep it in the cage 'always' ?
    I tried all the varieties of fruit yogurts. No luck.. She doesn't even get closer.

It's 1.15pm here now. i am back in the office from home, was checking on her. i removed, fixed and put her ecollar on again. her wound is healing good. our relation is bittersweet. She is running away from me when i am close by not to let me touch her but she is not hiding from me.. if i stay still she is coming on my lap and exploring. I am just waiting for the day all her problems are over and we can build our trust. She's w/ me since Christmas eve, and since then we always had health problems. Hope this is the last one..

She is not interested in the nuts w/ shell. Indeed, she's not interested in any kinds of nuts other than pecan and peanuts and sunflower seeds. they stay there and she doesn't touch.

I have been thinking at home how can i make her eat yogurt.. and how can i make sure she gets some calcium every day.. i couldn't find any answer..
    then while i was in the car before i leave i just got an idea, and jumped back home, got a tsp strawberry yogurt and crushed half a calcium pill and mixed them.. and i put/brushed this on her tail.. she must be busy licking it to clean i don't know if you would approve this, but i just didn't see any problem with it..

Tomorrow will take her to the Vet, in the morning for a check up.. Will keep you all posted..

xxxxxxxx
    Vas&Mia

Open your heart,
    And push the limits..
    (Enigma)

Watch Mia nut hunting from water
    Online-Property-Shop

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

Hello Vas, whatever avenue you use to get her nutrition and calcium is good. I know she hates a gooey tail...but she will groom and get the taste in her mouth and maybe realize she is hungry.
    What do these sqs eat in the wild, can you get that for her? The native safe trees and branches to chew on...get her sq stuff. Can you see her teeth? Are they staying maintained? I don't want Mia having additional issues due to original illness/problem.
    I am so glad her wound is doing better. However she MUST eat. You need to keep trying a variety until she eats enough to support her health. If she didn't like something last week, you may want to try again...last week she was so much worse and she did not have an appetite. I am hoping she will get it back now that wound is healing All fruit and veggies...any nuts or mushrooms...try lots of green veggies . Do you know what Cheerios are? They are a vitamin fortified breakfast cereal, they are dry in a box. If you have something like them , they will also be good.
    I am glad the wound looks better since new meds and e collar. I hope she continues to improve.
    When will she see the vet again?
    Good Luck and you are doing an excellent job. She is beautiful.

We love you Mia

Great idea about putting the yogurt on her tail. She might even learn to like it. It's normal for animals to eat less when they're sick or injured. As long as she isn't losing too much weight. Let us know what the vet says.
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

Hi Jackie,
    We will see the Vet tomorrow morning

Before i come back to Riyadh, the last day in Cyprus i passed by my father's fruit garden and cut lots of apple branches. My luggage was full of weird stuff like bunches of apple branches, kilos of pecans and almonds in shell and pine cones etc etc.. thank God they didn't ask me open my luggage for check (in this country luggage are monitored before you get "in').
    She gnaw on apple branches when she is out. never touched while in the cage.
    Her teeth are ok. maybe i try taking pic of her teeth as well and post during the weekend (thu.&fri.).

And yes there is Cheerios, i saw at Carrefour (a hypermarket). Will go and buy asap!

will keep you all posted for sure..

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie in Tampa
    Hello Vas, whatever avenue you use to get her nutrition and calcium is good. I know she hates a gooey tail...but she will groom and get the taste in her mouth and maybe realize she is hungry.
    What do these sqs eat in the wild, can you get that for her? The native safe trees and branches to chew on...get her sq stuff. Can you see her teeth? Are they staying maintained? I don't want Mia having additional issues due to original illness/problem.
    I am so glad her wound is doing better. However she MUST eat. You need to keep trying a variety until she eats enough to support her health. If she didn't like something last week, you may want to try again...last week she was so much worse and she did not have an appetite. I am hoping she will get it back now that wound is healing All fruit and veggies...any nuts or mushrooms...try lots of green veggies . Do you know what Cheerios are? They are a vitamin fortified breakfast cereal, they are dry in a box. If you have something like them , they will also be good.
    I am glad the wound looks better since new meds and e collar. I hope she continues to improve.
    When will she see the vet again?
    Good Luck and you are doing an excellent job. She is beautiful.

We love you Mia

Open your heart,
    And push the limits..
    (Enigma)

Online-Property-Shop

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

apple branches, yummy

Cheerios are a wonderful thing in a pinch, but not forever! I am hoping that she gets something she likes and realizes how good it feels when her stomach is full. If we can jump start her appetite she may try healthy foods.
    So glad to see you both this morning!
    Keep us informed of all! Thanks Vas, you are awesome!

I will try anything to get her have some nutrition!
    Yes, she doesn't even taste to decide to like it or not..
    But i will fight with/for her

Wait for my news tomorrow.. hopefully good news..
    Have a good day all.. xxx

Quote Originally Posted by 4skwerlz
    Great idea about putting the yogurt on her tail. She might even learn to like it. It's normal for animals to eat less when they're sick or injured. As long as she isn't losing too much weight. Let us know what the vet says.

Open your heart,
    And push the limits..
    (Enigma)

Online-Property-Shop

I am very optimistically moving Mia's thread to Non Life-Threatening.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Thanks IR

Hopefully we will start posting fun pics of her soon, after she fully recovers... and hope we won't have any other trouble(s)..

xxxxxxxxx

Open your heart,
    And push the limits..
    (Enigma)

Online-Property-Shop

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213