Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Outside Squirrel seems disoriented and falls over

Default Re: Outside Squirrel seems disoriented and falls over

I went to Minnesota Last winter and I saw that some of the Robins there would get WASTED! lol my grandma said it was from berries it kinda looks like hes drunk to me. Im not an expert but maybe he ate some berries that were no good heres a link I found about birds who would get drunk from ferment berries

http://www.birdwatchersgeneralstore.com/berries.htm

Would they also get a squirrel drunk?
    1 Grey Squirrel

loveallanimals Guest

Thanks for all the info. I hope he is just drunk on berries and not worse than that. I fed them today and he is still falling over.

whopoopwrasse Guest

Now that was funny!
    I'm sure the Robins wouldn't appreciate that we're getting a chuckle at thier expense
    (and I hope none of them get hurt at thier frat parties)
    but it I can almost see this going on in my mind!
    Especially the tiny cups of coffee!

And by the way I saw another little drunk this morning and it's not the same one I saw last time. There must be a pile of rotting apples somewhere.......................

ShesASquirrelyGirl Guest

If there is an issue or a squirrel acting funny please start a new thread so it gets attention. This thread is pretty old and many aren't going to look at it as something new.
    A squirrel falling over should is not good and it should not be assumed they are drunk from fruit!
    It could be anything from a head tilt, inner ear infection slowly killing them , or tooth problems. Again start a new thread to get help. Many here will have you trap it and take it in to help it.

Sciurus1 Guest

This problem has been discussed here on the board before. It is not so important at this point to determine if the squirrel is drunk on overripe fruit or not, but rather just to afford it a safe place, till the cause of the disability can be determined. Then you can see if it is getting better, and if not, you are all set to be able to take it to a wildlife rehabber, or other animal heathcare professionals for evaluation and treatment.

whopoopwrasse Guest

I have seen 2 of these guys this year..........

Catching them is not that easy where I am. I'd have to have the cage set-up 24/7 with a stick and string. Then I have to hope the right one goes in. Considering the amount of squirrels coming into this yard everyday, this would be hard.....

The day we caught Amelia was a miracle, she wasn't alone in the yard and the other little buggers were always tangled in the string, we were sure one of them would accidentally trip the mecanism before we got Amelia.

Sciurus1 Guest

I had one recently with a hurt leg, and we put out the trap but it refused to go in it, even so many others did to our chagrin! Well, we got out the larger trap, the raccoon size, and set it with a string, and put it right where this squirrel came out the day before to get a nut, bated it with cracked nuts, covered the cage with foliage and around the side to make it appear inviting, yet not as to interfere with the closing mechanism. The next morning we waited to see if the squirrel would come near it, and sure enough, down it came, and walked up to it, got a piece of nut, and went right in, being the first and only one to do so! We did have to divert the healthy squirrel at the last moment from interfering and chasing this poor injured one off, and with that, we had the squirrel. The prognosis by the way is good, even so the leg was broken the Vet pinned it, and it should be released back to the wild soon after the pin is removed.

momonthego Guest

Unhappy Re: Outside Squirrel seems disoriented and falls over

Poor thing. I can tell you I had a bird that kept falling to one side and was disoriented. eventually, it would tumble backwards, would look straight up and flip backwards constantly. I found out this was called "stargazing"...which is a neurological thing. I was able to keep him alive for 4 years, but it sounds like its either something like this, or poisoning, poor little thing. I hope it is not the latter.

whopoopwrasse Guest

I'm not saying that every squirrel wobbling around looking drunk has to do with rotting fruit because I'm sure there are many with other problems, but....
    The one I mention last has been here several times since his wobbly day and he's perfectly normal, I know this because he has a very small thin tail and is easy to recognize. He was here this morning also and no sign of anything wrong so................
    Is there anything besides alcohol poisoning that could cause a squirrel to be messed up one day and fine the next?

gutermuth Guest

I live in northern IL and one of the many squirrels we feed is also disoriented and falling over. He otherwise looks healthy and has an appetite. Trapping him would be very difficult since we have 10-15 squirrels in our yard any given morning. Would it be safe for me to put a small amount of clavamox (my cat is on clavamox for chronic upper respiratory infections) on the peanuts that I throw to him (just in case he has an infection)?
    Thanks!

gutermuth Guest

Question Re: Outside Squirrel seems disoriented and falls over

I forgot to mention that we have alot of raccoons that actually eat the leftover corn from the squirrels at night. What can I give him in case it is the raccoon roundworm?

Sciurus1 Guest

Though I have no idea about this drug, please do not medicate any wildlife for unverified conditions, but leave that to those that are expert in doing so. As for raccoon worm issue, 'Giardia', cleaning up the feeders before nightfall is the best way to deal with that, 'Prevention is worth a pound of cure'.

I know this is an old thread but it seems to be one of the few that describes what I am seeing and I don't know where to get help.

I woke up this morning and noticed one of the squirrels in my backyard exhibiting the same behavior described in the beginning of the thread (wobbly walking, falling over, etc.).
    He seems to be of good weight but is not able to stand up or eat normally.
    With the extreme cold we've had, I thought he may be dying and tried to catch him this morning, maybe just to warm him up. Nope... he ran away and up a tree.

I did some research and realize he may have raccoon roundworm, a head injury or may have been poisoned.
    I'd like to try and get him some help, if even to have him humanely euthanized.
    I have about 6 squirrels that feed in my backyard and have no idea how i could trap just this one.
    Furthermore, I don't know what to do for him if I trap him.

Is there anyone in Jackson, NJ or the surrounding area that can help with this squirrel?

It pains me to see him slowly dying in my backyard.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by joec View Post
    I know this is an old thread but it seems to be one of the few that describes what I am seeing and I don't know where to get help.

I woke up this morning and noticed one of the squirrels in my backyard exhibiting the same behavior described in the beginning of the thread (wobbly walking, falling over, etc.).
    He seems to be of good weight but is not able to stand up or eat normally.
    With the extreme cold we've had, I thought he may be dying and tried to catch him this morning, maybe just to warm him up. Nope... he ran away and up a tree.

I did some research and realize he may have raccoon roundworm, a head injury or may have been poisoned.
    I'd like to try and get him some help, if even to have him humanely euthanized.
    I have about 6 squirrels that feed in my backyard and have no idea how i could trap just this one.
    Furthermore, I don't know what to do for him if I trap him.

Is there anyone in Jackson, NJ or the surrounding area that can help with this squirrel?

It pains me to see him slowly dying in my backyard.

Thank you!
    How far are you from Howell, NJ? Jean Parker, who runs Garden State Wildlife, is extremely knowledgeable with squirrels -- she may be able to help. www.gardenstatewildlifecenter.org
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

15. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Chirps (01-16-2022), Spanky (01-15-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    How far are you from Howell, NJ? Jean Parker, who runs Garden State Wildlife, is extremely knowledgeable with squirrels -- she may be able to help. www.gardenstatewildlifecenter.org
    Hi,
    Thanks for your reply. I called them immediately after leaving my post.
    I haven't heard back from her yet, though.

Thanks again.
    joe

17. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to joec:

island rehabber (01-15-2022), Mel1959 (01-16-2022)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Members who have read this thread: 3