Thread: Questions on cage and heating pad

rrenner Guest

Default Questions on cage and heating pad

My baby grey is four weeks. She's currently in a large plastic container with a lid with holes, approx. 13" x 13" x 7.5".
    When do I move her to the next step and what would that be? I have a friend with a larger cage I'll use for pre-release, but it's too big for her now.
    Also, do I need the heating pad any more? It's under about 75% of the box.
    My plan is to put her in the next step cage (and then the larger pre-release cage) when she is ready and keep it upstairs in my office in front of a window. The window overlooks our garage, which is next to a tree. Squirrels pass over the garage all the time to get to the tree so she'll see other squirrels. I will keep the door closed to that room when I am not there so that she does not see my cats or dogs and retains her natural fear of them so she does not become a victim when released. Then I'll move the larger cage outdoors for w few days prior to releasing her. Does that sound reasonable?

Critter_Queen Guest

Default Re: Questions on cage and heating pad

I believe they need a heat source until their eyes open, and maybe a little longer depending on the critter...I would leave the heat on but only under about 25-40% of the container...unless the eyes are closed, then leave it under 50% of the container.

I keep mine in a small container (like a nest) with a Snuggle Safe in the bottom until their eyes open.

Next they go into a 20x15x13" cage with 1/2" bar spacing that has a nest box in one side (that still has a Snuggle Safe, but not as warm and I let it cool off before lightly heating it again) and also has a potty spot and a food spot outside the nestbox. I keep cloth bedding over the bottom grate.

Then they get into a cage that is either 30x18x18" or 30x18x55" depending on the squirrel and their skill level. The 55" tall cage is the one they are in just prior to being in their outdoor enclosure.

I leave mine outside for at least a week, preferably more, before releasing them. They need time to acclimate to the outdoors before being released.

Hope this helps.

racquel Guest

yes that sounds good... I'd leave her in the tote until you are finished hand feeding her.. maybe 2 weeks..some learn faster than others how to drink from small (heavy) dish.. (shallow)

then move her to a small cage... but not too small, ya know.. I make hammocks for mine... just use a baby blanket and those clippy things.. pull the corners of the blanket up thru the wires and clamp them down... they LOVE them!!!!

Her pre-release cage should have some kind of hidey hole... but can have hammocks to lay in also. branches, ect. If you have a removeable nesting box.. those are awesome! I used to... but it got to where I couldnt affort to have them made anymore..
    but you can take the removeable ones out of the cage when you release them and hang up in the tree.. that way its her home and she is used to it..

Id leave the heat pad under half of the tote... for a bit longer.. or if you are able to monitor her.. take it away... but make she she is warm to the touch.

rrenner Guest

Thanks to you both - very helpful information!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.