Thread: Somthing vet told me, adding cereal?

Default Somthing vet told me, adding cereal?

When Baby girl & rippie were small the vet told me to add baby cereal to their formula when they began to eat a lot. Does anyone else do it & what kind?
    I have yet to read in anyone's post's that they did this..so I am asking?

Pa. licenced Rehabber

racquel Guest

Default Re: Somthing vet told me, adding cereal?

I add Gerber Rice cereal .. flakes ... when they lapping from a bowl.. just to where its like a mash.... not too thick... but not runny either.

GhosTS Guest

When adding cereal, be sure its has no added sugar in it..The best thing to add is rodent block.It has more nutrition than any cereal.Grind some blocks using a coffee grinder and mix them with the milk.They love it.

rodent block
    where do you get it?

Pa. licenced Rehabber

racquel Guest

Im not aware that the gerber flake rice has sugar in it..My mentor has used it for over 10 years..
    I think you can order the rodent blocks cant you.. from Chris's squirrel store??
    I have heard of rodent blocks.. but never used them.. I use deer antlers for them to chew on...

Yes you can get rodent block from Chris. Howeve you can also get the "Kaytee" brand at any pet store that has rodent food. Or "Fiesta" brand too!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Rebecca <
    SC Wildlife Rehabilitator
    I'm a squirrel watcher, I'm a squirrel watcher, watching squirrels go by, my my my!

GhosTS Guest

Gerber rice cereal is ok.But Rodent block is the best.Its not a block as in mineral blocks.Its a food in pellet form.You can get it from Chris's squirrel store.Its good if it covers about 40% of their diet.Its nutritionally balanced for them.Also some cereals..whole grain cereals as I remember..block calcium absorption.If you dont have rodent blocks, Gerber or Heinz rice cereal is a good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by GhosTS
    Gerber rice cereal is ok.But Rodent block is the best.Its not a block as in mineral blocks.Its a food in pellet form.You can get it from Chris's squirrel store.Its good if it covers about 40% of their diet.Its nutritionally balanced for them.Also some cereals..whole grain cereals as I remember..block calcium absorption.If you dont have rodent blocks, Gerber or Heinz rice cereal is a good choice.
    You can get a very cheap little food grinder, the kind you'd use for garlic or chopped nuts (Moulinex?) and grind the rodent blocks into a really fine dust. Then mix that in with the Esbilac powder and use the same mixture as before, increasing the ratio of rodent block to Esbilac as the weeks go by. I start this as soon as a squirrel's eyes open. If the 'dust' sticks in the syringe you are not grinding it finely enough.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '