Thread: ??????

oblivion Guest

Angry ??????

hi, i'm caring for a male gray squirrel he's eating well both the milk and the pedialyte and is going to the bathroom stimulated or not his eyes are not open yet and is furred, he does move about but his stomach is still fat looking, is this gas and should i be giving him simethicone and if so how much, or is he just healthy, sorry its been a while since i've had one so young.

Default Re: ??????

Quote Originally Posted by oblivion
    hi, i'm caring for a male gray squirrel he's eating well both the milk and the pedialyte and is going to the bathroom stimulated or not his eyes are not open yet and is furred, he does move about but his stomach is still fat looking, is this gas and should i be giving him simethicone and if so how much, or is he just healthy, sorry its been a while since i've had one so young.
    OK slow down for a second...why is he getting Pedialyte along with formula? And what formula are you using? Is he dehydrated, and if not, why Pedialyte?

Secondly, have you weighed him on a gram scale to determine how much you should feed him? This is essential to prevent BLOAT (I say this so many times I feel like the BLOAT POLICE) which occurs from overfeeding. So, if his tummy is round but not hard he probably is just a healthy chubby squirrel. If it looks distended while the rest of him is pretty skinny, there is a problem. Need more info on this baby in order to advise you.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Default Re: ??????

i recently had two squirrels who had big ol' bellies. we thought it was bloat, but they were sooooo hungry, and otherwise completely healthy, so we just realized it was their natural tummies. still, put that squirrel on a routine diet, like IR said. don't wanna take any chances.
    :bounce2thundersquirrel:bounce2

Lightbulb Re: ??????

oblivion....
    If you don't have a gram scale there are 28.349 grams to an ounce. I had this link and used it almost daily when I had the 5 grays in early spring.
    I am adding this link to this thread....if it works!!! Ha Ha!!
    Maybe this can be posted in a topic or thread of it's own, squerly !?

http://www.metric-conversions.org/we...s-to-grams.htm
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Rebecca <
    SC Wildlife Rehabilitator
    I'm a squirrel watcher, I'm a squirrel watcher, watching squirrels go by, my my my!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.