Thread: Cinnamon

ShesASquirrelyGirl Guest

Default Cinnamon

Does anyone know if its ok for older Squirrels to chew on fresh cinnamon sticks?
    I looked up rats and cinnamon and the only thing I found was benefits to help the enhancement of the muscle cells insulin signaling pathway. No ill or harmful affects. If anyone knows of any...?
    We have a gorgeous Solomon Eclectus who's my pride and joy and she must have cinnamon in her diet daily from fresh sticks. So I have plenty and figured why not give it a shot.
    Anyone opposed?

ShesASquirrelyGirl Guest

Default Re: Cinnamon

lol!!
    As weird as it sounds this girl has taken almost anything I give her. She even takes pieces of cuttle bone and gnaws them down to nothing. If I can get her to chew more, I'd be happy. I just don't want it to have possible herbicide affects. I can't find anything on it though .

ShesASquirrelyGirl Guest

Ok well I put the stick in there. Went to the bathroom came back and it was gone. So she is either chewing on it in her nest or using it as an air freshener lol!
    I guess I won't know until I clean out her box

ShesASquirrelyGirl Guest

Interesting. I found that a study in rats helped with diabetes and other things , however I will take it out. She probably isn't chewing on it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ShesASquirrelyGirl
    Interesting. I found that a study in rats helped with diabetes and other things , however I will take it out. She probably isn't chewing on it anyway.
    That's true, there seem to be medicinal qualities to cinnamon. But when something is strong enough to act as medicine, it's also possible that too much could be harmful.
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

ShesASquirrelyGirl Guest

Well of course... that is a given .Any herb/spice even with out medicinal properties can be harmful if given to much or in general if its toxic to that species, and thats what I was interested in. If it was harmful to them in general, not in large amounts.
    However the study I saw rats were given a set amount daily for quite a period of time with no ill affects.
    Its better safe to not give then to give but I am curious =)

Question Re: Cinnamon

Ok soo... my squirrel is about 5-6 weeks old his eyes are open and he has a bushy tail...But I was wondering is I could mix cinnimon apple sauce into his formula....just a little...it barely has cinnamon in it..
    so I was just wondering!!

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeysMyBaby View Post
    Ok soo... my squirrel is about 5-6 weeks old his eyes are open and he has a bushy tail...But I was wondering is I could mix cinnimon apple sauce into his formula....just a little...it barely has cinnamon in it..
    so I was just wondering!!
    At that age I would just keep feeding the formula, you can offer some solid foods as they get older, not nuts right away or they get hooked😉
    I'm just wondering why you would want to add cinnamon with apple sauce🤔
    Occasionally I give my older squirrels sugar free apple sauce as treat.
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.