Thread: something for a small cut?

Default something for a small cut?

some of you know that my SFS ace has had barbering problems almost his whole life. Basically he pulls out his own fur. It got better for a while, but recently hr started doing it more. I give him tons of enrichment things and toys, a varied diet following the triangle and a stealth wheel. I rearrange his setup about once a week, and change out hammocks, cubes, and sleep spots. Anyway, i noticed that there is a small nick near the base of his back leg. its small, but its been there for a few days without scabbing over, and im afraid he's licking and chewing at it. is there anything i can put on it?
    "Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened."
    - Anatole France

"We have doomed the wolf not for what it is, but for what we deliberately and mistakenly
    perceive it to be - the mythologized epitome of a savage ruthless killer - which is, in reality,
    no more than a reflected image of ourselves."
    - Farley Mowat

Default Re: something for a small cut?

Bump?
    - Anatole France

"We have doomed the wolf not for what it is, but for what we deliberately and mistakenly
    perceive it to be - the mythologized epitome of a savage ruthless killer - which is, in reality,
    - Farley Mowat

You can put an antibiotic salve on it like neosporin, polysprorin or bacitracin. Just a little bit and rub it in. Did he do this to himself? Where on his leg is the cut? Is there any way to cover it to prevent him from doing further damage?

Yes I think he must have gotten too close to the skin and nipped himself. I checked on him this morning and was alarmed that it had gotten bigger. I'm afraid it is going to get infected and that he is licking it too much. Should I make him a cone? I'm really worried about him...
    Name:  IMG_4461.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  72.7 KBName:  IMG_4462.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  95.6 KB
    - Anatole France

- Farley Mowat

We just put some helichrysum on the cut. It's a natural oil. I held him in a piece of fleece and put a small drop on it. I let it sit for a minute then washed it off with a wet napkin, so he couldn't ingest it. He's really pissed with me thou
    - Anatole France

- Farley Mowat

He seems a little better this morning, should I continue the oil treatment?
    - Anatole France

- Farley Mowat

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Floppysquirrel04 from:

Mel1959 (08-15-2018)

I am not familiar with that oil, but I did read up on it. I see that it has anti inflammatory properties and will promote cell regeneration, I read nothing about anti bacterial properties. Did you try any of the antibiotic salves that were suggested? Would you possibly have any Silvadene ointment? It is a Rx ointment.

It’s hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like he has been barbering his fur. Is the fur on his legs chewed short? If this is what he’s doing it needs to be addressed to determine a possible cause.

Could you please post some full body photos?

No I did not try any of the pastes. I didn’t want him to lick at it. I think he barbers because when I first got him we didn’t know how to care for a flyer, and gave him the wrong diet and a small cage. Once we changed his care, it had become so much of a habit he just didn’t stop. I have a lot of posts back from last year about it on non life threatening board with pictures. It really goes on and off, sometimes it’s pretty bad and sometimes it’s better.
    - Anatole France

- Farley Mowat