Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EMERGENCY CARE FOR BABY SQUIRRELS

berryan Guest

Default Re: EMERGENCY CARE FOR BABY SQUIRRELS

my cat brought in a baby squirrel tonight

He seems uninjured, furry, actively seeking skin contact, hasn't opened his eyes but moves to hold on when i put him back in his box. i have him in a box of soft cloths with a warm water bottle next to him, and I've given him about 1 ml of pedialyte with a syringe, drop by drop so far.

looking for ALL advice but specifically on whether and how to try and reunite this guy with his mom. problems are:
    1. my cat brought him in so i have no idea where the nest is
    2. its night time and all I've read says his mom won't be active at night or willing to come look for him on the ground.

with limited time to take care of him myself... should i spend an hour putting him outside tomorrow morning (and how would you advise setting him up so she comes looking) or should I just take him to a wildlife rehab center asap (the audubon society is closest here in portland i think).

thank you for the help! he's so cute and i want him to make it and lead a happy wild squirrel life

Quote Originally Posted by berryan View Post
    my cat brought in a baby squirrel tonight

He seems uninjured, furry, actively seeking skin contact, hasn't opened his eyes but moves to hold on when i put him back in his box. i have him in a box of soft cloths with a warm water bottle next to him, and I've given him about 1 ml of pedialyte with a syringe, drop by drop so far.

looking for ALL advice but specifically on whether and how to try and reunite this guy with his mom. problems are:
    1. my cat brought him in so i have no idea where the nest is
    2. its night time and all I've read says his mom won't be active at night or willing to come look for him on the ground.

with limited time to take care of him myself... should i spend an hour putting him outside tomorrow morning (and how would you advise setting him up so she comes looking) or should I just take him to a wildlife rehab center asap (the audubon society is closest here in portland i think).

thank you for the help! he's so cute and i want him to make it and lead a happy wild squirrel life
    Cat caught needs anti biotics, cats have a (normal to them) bacteria in their slava deadly to squirrels.
    Unlikely not knowing where he came from you can reunite with mom. He can not, should not, be put outside left alone.

Eyes closed w/ limited time won't work for either of you.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

It sounds like you should call a local rehabber asap. He requires medical attention now that he's been handled by the cat.

He needs warmth, dark and quiet until you get him someplace. Keep away from all pets and small children. Place a heating pad under half of his container (not an auto shut off), give him t shirts to snuggle into and keep us posted.

I am going to PM you the name and phone number of our member "Duckman" who is right across the river in Vancouver. He and his group are just the best - I always breathe a little sigh of relief when I see people here in your area because I KNOW we can refer great help!

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

stepnstone (08-15-2018)

berryan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    I am going to PM you the name and phone number of our member "Duckman" who is right across the river in Vancouver. He and his group are just the best - I always breathe a little sigh of relief when I see people here in your area because I KNOW we can refer great help!
    Thank you thank you @CritterMom!!

I called Michael as soon as I got up this morning and he's close by and willing to take this guy today! Thank you for this referral. My only idea was to take him to Audubon but they've identified him as an Eastern Gray- an invasive species here- so their only option for him would be euthanasia.

Planning to take him to the Squirrel Refuge with Michael/Duckman this afternoon- thanks for the tip!

A

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to berryan from:

Mel1959 (08-15-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by berryan View Post
    Thank you thank you @CritterMom!!

I called Michael as soon as I got up this morning and he's close by and willing to take this guy today! Thank you for this referral. My only idea was to take him to Audubon but they've identified him as an Eastern Gray- an invasive species here- so their only option for him would be euthanasia.

Planning to take him to the Squirrel Refuge with Michael/Duckman this afternoon- thanks for the tip!
    Best case scenario!!
    Thank you berryan for reaching out to TSB!
    Thank you CritterMom for the perfect direction!
    Thank you Michael for always being there for these little ones.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12