Thread: Hairless Tail

Default Hairless Tail

Here are pictures of a female squirrel that's been hanging around for the last few weeks....I've named her Sophie....She looks different from the other grays and she's a little bigger...is she a brown or another type of squirrel...?

I wanted you to see her tail....is this normal for a pregnant squirrel? She's really pregnant and looks as if she will have the babies soon, don't know where though...

The rest of her fur is in excellent condition and her overall health looks to be good....I've kept an eye on her the last couple of weeks so I can observe her and her coat...but only the tail is affected.....
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    To all my babies past and present..
    Thank you for showing me how to love
    and be loved unconditionally....
    RIP Timothy

ShesASquirrelyGirl Guest

Default Re: Hairless Tail

It could be a number of things from poor nutrition, mange , fighting another squirrel or animal or car and losing fur to escape...to simply old age.

Sciurus1 Guest

It could be a number of things from poor nutrition, mange , fighting another squirrel or animal or car and losing fur to escape...to simply old age.
    Or it may be that she has pulled out the hair on her tail to line her nest. This is common with mothers to be actually. And of course, it could be a combination of this and one or more of the above as well.

ShesASquirrelyGirl Guest

True, although I never see it that excessive around near me except on older ones or escaped accident tails. She does look pretty healthy but then again its a blurry pic and she is pregnant..Mange would probably cause her to lose fur in other spots as well.
    We would have to see close up pics but I doubt its anything to worry about.
    Shes a cutie! Hopefully you will get a glimpse of those babies =)

There is no other spot on her of missing hair....I watch her daily, 10 to 20 minutes,with my binoculars and she has a beautiful coat...she is eating very well, as she dines at the best back yard restaurant in town

Is she a red or fox squirrel? Her coloring certainly doesn't look like that of all my grays....
    To all my babies past and present..
    Thank you for showing me how to love
    and be loved unconditionally....
    RIP Timothy

ShesASquirrelyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TinyPaws
    There is no other spot on her of missing hair....I watch her daily, 10 to 20 minutes,with my binoculars and she has a beautiful coat...she is eating very well, as she dines at the best back yard restaurant in town

Is she a red or fox squirrel? Her coloring certainly doesn't look like that of all my grays....
    Fox =)