Thread: Wild Squirrels

Default Wild Squirrels

I'd like to make friends with the squirrels in my backyard. Well, friends as in I leave food out, they eat it when I'm not watching, and I just have the knowledge that they ate the food I left. It's a weird sort of friendship, but it suits me.

Anyway, I know where they live and I'd like to set up a feeder in their tree so they don't have to get past the cats to get food. What sort of foods are good to leave out for wild squirrels? There would appear to be a young mama and an unknown number of 5-7 week old babies.

ShesASquirrelyGirl Guest

Default Re: Wild Squirrels

Quote Originally Posted by SaraK
    I'd like to make friends with the squirrels in my backyard. Well, friends as in I leave food out, they eat it when I'm not watching, and I just have the knowledge that they ate the food I left. It's a weird sort of friendship, but it suits me.

Anyway, I know where they live and I'd like to set up a feeder in their tree so they don't have to get past the cats to get food. What sort of foods are good to leave out for wild squirrels? There would appear to be a young mama and an unknown number of 5-7 week old babies.
    My squirrels adore apple, pear, peanuts, & sunflower seeds. They won't take anything else from me. They leave rodent blocks to rot, don't touch the veggies unless they are desperate. I think they are just spoiled.

Oh and they love the walnuts and pumpkin seeds too

My wild squirrels love hazelnuts, almonds, and peanuts all in the shell. I buy them from nutsonline.com. This is not recommended for any squirrels except wild ones who are able to balance their diet with what they are foraging.

They also take apple, pumpkin seeds, blueberries, and chunks of avacado. Anything else, and they look at me like I'm crazy or even insulting or stupid.

Some love a little piece of bread with something yummy on it. (Not peanut butter!) And by "little" I mean about 1 inch long by a half inch wide. I don't leave this in a feeder, but offer it sometimes as a little treat. I used to share a little granola with yogurt on it with Pookie Pie, but only like a half a teasponful.

And remember, fun as it might be: no margaritas! Too much salt.

FWIW, our numerous wild squirrels go through huge quantities of sunflower seeds.

Between the squirrels and the raccoons, we go through a 40 lb. bag of sunflower seeds every week or two.

Absolutely disgusting display of gluttony.

A lot of times CVS will have cans of All nautural (nothing added) almonds buy one get one free. You can get 2 cans for about 5 bucks.

Pa. licenced Rehabber

I left a handful of almonds out for Squirrelly Mama yesterday and today found just almond shells. I have a friend!