Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very disappointed in rehabbers

Alotta Guest

Thumbs down Very disappointed in rehabbers

We found 4 babies and have taken care of them for 6 days. 1 had trauma to the head wasn't doing well and we lost him today. Before he passed away I called 2 rehabbers in my local area and was shocked that they wouldn't help me.

The one in Portland, Or said they didn't take grey squirrels (which I think the ones I have are Greys) and told me they only took the native squirrels. Also said I could not transport live animals, or go across the state line (I live in WA). Couldn't help me.

I called another place and she was very honest with me and said that the Greys are a nuisance like the starlings (bird) and if I took them to any place they would most likely be put to sleep. Likewise they only take the native eastern squirrel per Fish and Wildlife.

I was shocked. No help from them and I refuse to call any one else with that bit of info because they will put them to sleep. I guess I will try and do the best I can with these guys, just afraid I won't be doing something right.

This is b.s. and I am so disappointed in the lack of compassion. What do you guys think?

Thanks Anna

Default Re: Very disappointed in rehabbers

that is terrible to hear the words "nuisance animal" just really #(&$#& me off. I'm not sure who you called.. but look on this site.. http://www.wwrawildlife.org/help/reg...b2daaab08ce4e8 and see... I have heard good things about Sarvey. and also this place http://www.westsoundwildlife.org/wildlife/wildlife.html on bainbridge Island. If you haven't tried them, you might consider it and if one of them were one you did contact, please let me know so I can Know that they are not friends of MY friends.

i am so much more than a body.

every moment is an opportunity to begin recovery.

today is tomorrow's history.,

At first glance it sounds like the individuals you talked to are either overworked and underpaid... or need a refresher on compassion. There is a lot of information at this site that should be useful to you, and a number of individuals who know what they're doing.

Thanks for taking the initiative. You may have lost one, but he took his rest in the hands of someone who cares.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic929_1.gif

Sciurus1 Guest

Sorry to hear you had a run in with a hardcorist when it comes to caring for these squirrels, who apparently wasn't even accurate about the fact that there is also a gray squirrel, just a different species. In anycase, all of them should be cared for, not just the ones the State finds acceptable to be!

As far as information on the two non native species of tree Squirrels, both the Eastern Gray, and Eastern Fox Squirrel species were first introduced to the west coast early in the last Century. In Washington State both of these introduced species are not in great numbers, nor are the native Western Gray Squirrel numbers either, with only the Western Gray protected from hunting, as it is endangered in that State. In Oregon if an Eastern Gray, or Fox Squirrel, is brought into a State run wildlife center and left there, are euthanized, or so was written on a site online I read on this issue. It would take an expert to tell the species apart when they have yet to get their fur, so as the one person you quoted here stated, if you brought them into a State wildlife center, yes, there is a good chance they would be euthanized. Note it is the Western species that is accepted by State authorities, not the Eastern, or Fox Squirrel species, yett I wouldn't give them to anyone who cannot assure you that they will care for them no matter what their species turns out to be! Best to then check out the names of rehabbers given to you from our board, and ask them if they are willing to care for them, no matter what species they are. Do NOT give you name or address to them, just in case.

Alotta Guest

You guys made me cry, I love your enthusiasm and compassion. Thank you.

First I can't imagine how a rehabber could tell over the phone that your little ones were eastern greys I live in southern Oregon and as far as I know there are no eastern greys. I am so sorry for your experience.
    Most big rehab centers are very strict because they could lose their license from the state officials and have to close their doors (though at the place I worked we managed to save some who were on the "kill" list ) Maybe there are others here on the board who could help you with these babies. I would take them but I think I live pretty far (I am near the California border) plus I am traveling a lot lately.
    Always sad to read about someone who is very caring and compassionate get no help when in need....Bless you for caring Hope it all works out
    Tribute to my dear Wheezer:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfmpVgdwCi8
    New favorites squirrel video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu22KiUQFmY

Alotta I am so sorry you met with these miniscule-minded, genocidal jerks who call themselves "rehabbers". (Maybe I am just testy today because we have had so much sadness here on TSB lately, the most recent being the loss of our beloved Mr Tilty.) BUT, I would seriously question the ethics of any rehabber who would call an orphaned or injured baby in need a "nuisance species".........and refuse to help it. I also wonder how -- here I go on my soapbox again -- that the very part of this country (Pacific Northwest) that prides itself on being the most open-minded, the most progressive, the most "green", the most forward-thinking, the most (dare I say it) Liberal -- can turn around and enact these hideous laws that call for the culling (killing) of so-called "non-native wildlife species"!!! If they applied such laws to humans, you all would be left with about 12 people out there in the whole region..... The hypocrisy of these government types just floors me.

Shut up, IR.
    Okay.

Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

TexanSquirrel Guest

So sorry you got the cold shoulder. Hopefully we'll find someone who can help you.

wheezer, depending on where she is.. all I have are Eastern Grays. but I ju

st think of them as my friends. LOL, IR, how do you think I feel? I'd love to find someplace t o +++++++++volunteen r and learn but I have to agree with their ethics :/ sorry, cooper was helping me type.

i am so much more than a body.

every moment is an opportunity to begin recovery.

today is tomorrow's history.,

foxsquirrels Guest

Alotta,
    Welcome to the Squirrel Board!! So glad you found these wonderful people. I don't blame you for being discouraged and angry with rehabbers. Right now I hate to say that I am also a rehabber. I would not want to be put in the same category with the individuals that you have spoken to. You've found the best place you could be "AT THE SQUIRREL BOARD"!!!! I don't know a rehabber from a squirrel lover on here and it doesn't matter everyone here loves squirrels and are in this for the best interest of the animal. There are many people on here that have all kinds of wildlife and domestic pets. And I can promise you it won't matter what species it is, it will FIND HELP HERE!!!
    Bless you for not giving up, all creatures deserve a chance and if we don't care for them what does that say about our species? I'll get down now. Sorry!

ready and willing. Poor babies

Mountain Mama is offline Her Royal Highness Administrator

Alotta, I am so sorry you had a bad experience with your local rehabbers...they are not all like that. I would have to say TSB in the place where the most extraordinary rehabbers in the country come together. I hope we can find you help for your babies. Everyone is trying...hang in there.

~like a small grey teapot sits the squirrel ~wolfe

I'm checking in periodically for a response...
    If anyone heas anything please let me know!

Alotta Guest

Hi, These guys are expensive,I went and bought a $150.00 dollar cage and am going to give it a go. Getting a little attached, but have every intention of letting them go when the time comes. Thank you for all your support. I was curious how everyone felt about the response the rehabbers gave me because I thought they were there to help me. Thanks again, will keep you posted on how I'm doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Jack
    wheezer, depending on where she is.. all I have are Eastern Grays. but I ju

st think of them as my friends. LOL, IR, how do you think I feel? I'd love to find someplace t o +++++++++volunteen r and learn but I have to agree with their ethics :/ sorry, cooper was helping me type.
    Tell me about it!
    Alotta, I'm so sorry you had to go through this. I've never had to contact rehabbers with an emergency... just exchanging emails to see how I can become a volunteer and become a rehabber. Sounds to me like you'll be taking that road too. We sure could use more rehabbers.

Thanks for coming on here to share your frustrations. We are happy to help. Good luck with your babies. Sorry they're eating your funds.

Welcome to TSB!!!

O Lord, anoint mine eyes to see, and let my spirit sing and give all thanks to Thee.
    O Lord, my heart would sing thy praise, my voice in gladness raise, for all thy hands have made.

Gerald N. Lund "I give all thanks to Thee"

Hang in there! You'll find lots of great advice, love and moral support on this site! Don't hesitate to ask questions if you have them. We are all here to help each other and learn along the the way.

I started rehabbing when I couldn't find a rehabber I trusted (and before I found this wonderful forum!) and have been doing it for awhile now....you're gonna get hooked!!

MrsRich412 Guest

Sorry you had a bad experience with the rehabbers. I had the same experience recently. I rescued 4 orphaned babies. Tried unsucessfully to get a rehabber to take them.....did my best by the book for almost 2 weeks. 3 died before I found this board and was helped to find a rehabber that would finally take the last one. It was very frustrating! The rehabber who I finally linked up with is FANTASTIC! I wish I could have found him sooner....maybe all of the babies would have survived. The rehabbers on this board are super...I wish there were more like them! Good luck!

There are far too many "rehabbers" listed up here in the Northwest area that actually don't do anything of the sort. They get "grant money" or know someone who put them in the system to get paid to have a title, but never actually do any work.

So, if any (Northwest) crook Wildlife Rehabilitation Experts are reading this and you get money for something you aren't doing, I've already called to help get the political ball rolling. The Attorney General pointed connected me to the proper officials looking for you and ways to save money. Without any luck at all, it should end up rolling over you and hopefully squash your clean record.

As for the Squirrel Boards, I appreciate what you do. It's a good, valuable resource that should be getting a reimbursement from Gov't since it does more than crooked rehabbers. Reinforce the ideas that work and steam roll those that don't.

It sure would be nice to get things changed in the NW. I'm afraid, though, that it would mean some MAJOR changes since Oregon is pretty tough on non-native species and it would take some big changes to make it legal for rehabbers to take Foxes and Eastern Greys. It sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahn
    There are far too many "rehabbers" listed up here in the Northwest area that actually don't do anything of the sort. They get "grant money" or know someone who put them in the system to get paid to have a title, but never actually do any work.

So, if any (Northwest) crook Wildlife Rehabilitation Experts are reading this and you get money for something you aren't doing, I've already called to help get the political ball rolling. The Attorney General pointed connected me to the proper officials looking for you and ways to save money. Without any luck at all, it should end up rolling over you and hopefully squash your clean record.

As for the Squirrel Boards, I appreciate what you do. It's a good, valuable resource that should be getting a reimbursement from Gov't since it does more than crooked rehabbers. Reinforce the ideas that work and steam roll those that don't.

I have never met any rehabber that was a crook? Rather they are hard working, tired, poor and stressed out.
    Our payment comes when the dear animal is given his life back as it was intended to be free running in the trees.
    We sacrafise our family's needs to buy caging, formula, and pay vet bills.
    And these little angels are worth every cent.

Pa. licenced Rehabber

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1