Thread: formula problem

Default formula problem

I have a 8 week old baby 3.2 oz in weight. Has been on the old formulation of Esbilac. I ran out and ordered the new (powder for both old and new).
    meanwhile today I had to use a can of liquid Esbilac until my powdered arrived from Chris's. My shipment from Chris's arrived so he has had both today.
    Tonight my little one has diarrhea. brown and runny. I am switching to pedialyte now but what should I do with this new Esbilac formula?

I read a little about intoducing yogurt can anyone help with when and how. also how should this new formula work? I thought I read 5 parts water to 2 parts esbilac to 1 part heavy cream?

I rally hate this new Esbilac. My poor little one.

Default Re: formula problem

The new Esbilac is awful. Toss it. Or maybe donate it to a humane society or vet office for use with puppies.

Most squirrel rehabbers have switched to goat milk or Fox Valley.

http://foxvalleynutrition.com/prod/products.asp?PLID=1
    + =

"Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?"
    -Gimli, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

A rehabber here who still uses the new esbilac mixes it as follows:
    one scoop esbilac to 2 & 1/2 scoop water. If baby isnt doing well and gaining on this please go with fox valley.

Pa. licenced Rehabber

Yes I would switch to Fox Valley immediately -- ask Nick (the owner answers the phone, most of the time) to overnight you a 1lb bag of Day One 20/50 formula...then order a larger (3.5) amount by regular shipping. This way you'll only pay extra to overnight the smaller, lighter package but you'll have it ASAP. While waiting for the Fox Valley you could try mixing the Esbilac 1 part Esbilac to 2.5 parts water plus the whipping cream -- I THINK that recipe worked for more than a few people this past year.

Bottom line, go Fox Valley. Even the Esbilac people are no longer recommending their stupid product for wildlife....
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

I will call fox valley asap and get it into my hands overnight. thanks. I had always had such good luck on the esbilac. Darn it. But I will get it to the local spca for puppies.

My little guy is taking the pedialyte very well and since I have fattened him up over the last few weeks I will continue with that through tomorrow. this hit him fast.

He does love his henrys squirrel block will that be ok to continue to give him in the morning if the diarrhea clears?

whopoopwrasse Guest

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber
    Yes I would switch to Fox Valley immediately -- ask Nick (the owner answers the phone, most of the time) to overnight you a 1lb bag of Day One 20/50 formula...then order a larger (3.5) amount by regular shipping. This way you'll only pay extra to overnight the smaller, lighter package but you'll have it ASAP. While waiting for the Fox Valley you could try mixing the Esbilac 1 part Esbilac to 2.5 parts water plus the whipping cream -- I THINK that recipe worked for more than a few people this past year.

Bottom line, go Fox Valley. Even the Esbilac people are no longer recommending their stupid product for wildlife....
    Has this info been changed in the emergency thread, I just checked all 3 links and they all recommend Esbilac. I think that information should be changed because people are going out and buying Esbilac, and wasting their money on it when they should be ordering the Fox Valley and using the goat milk formula while it arrives, I think Jackie had a good recipe before she got the Fox Valley.

Darn it I thought I had changed all those.....
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

IR, I thought you had changed those months ago.
    + =

"Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?"
    -Gimli, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Morning update.

I gave my little guy pedialyte all night long and diarrhea is gone this morning so far. He is chipper this morn. Diarrhea scares me to death with these precious little ones.

Little guy acted like he new the pedialyte was helping and cooperated with me.

I am going to order fox valley as soon as they open. Meanwhile try the esbilac as advised this after noon and keep my fingers crossed until I get my fox valley.

Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Brady
    Morning update.

I gave my little guy pedialyte all night long and diarrhea is gone this morning so far. He is chipper this morn. Diarrhea scares me to death with these precious little ones.

Little guy acted like he new the pedialyte was helping and cooperated with me.

I am going to order fox valley as soon as they open. Meanwhile try the esbilac as advised this after noon and keep my fingers crossed until I get my fox valley.

Thanks everyone.
    Thanks for the update...wonderful news!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ardilla
    IR, I thought you had changed those months ago.
    I did. The problem is we have links to OTHER sites as well, like chris's squirrelsandmore, and THEY recommend Esbilac. Whopoopwrasse is working on a sticky (disclaimer) that we can post with those sites to make sure everyone substitutes Fox Valley instead. We could delete the sites altogether, but they have some excellent information other than the Esbilac reference.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

I had to use the new esbilac this season with many grays, 2 foxers and a flyer baby as tiny as 14 grams. I did not lose any of them. They all had loose stools but it usually cleared up within days. The flyer had it the longest and she was definately the smallest. I was very worried and talked to my vet several times. We decided that as long as the loose stools were no more frequent than when she would have stool normally as with every feeding and she was gaining weight we thought it best to just give it time. Sure enough it passed. What we figured out with this season with this esbilac issue was that the babies that had the longest loose stools were the ones on formula only. Any of the babies nibbling on foods, rodent blocks, monkey biscuits, henry's block etc... only had loose stool for a short period of time. I was mixing my formula 1 part esbilac , 2 parts water, 1/3 part heavy whipping cream and 1/3 part yogurt as I always do, and I think the heavy cream helped. I have now purchased Fox Valley and I am finishing up the last group of baby grays with that. I will probably just use that in the future. Hope this helps!

whopoopwrasse Guest

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber
    I did. The problem is we have links to OTHER sites as well, like chris's squirrelsandmore, and THEY recommend Esbilac. Whopoopwrasse is working on a sticky (disclaimer) that we can post with those sites to make sure everyone substitutes Fox Valley instead. We could delete the sites altogether, but they have some excellent information other than the Esbilac reference.
    Definitely don't delete the sites, they contain great info! When my babies were growing up I was always looking at them. It's just that the formula brand is now outdated and Fox Valley is now the formula of choice
    I'm waiting for a reply from Jackie and I will be sending you the Sticky as soon as I'm done.

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

here i am...
    1 cup goats milk fresh from dairy section
    1/3 cup heavy cream
    1/3 cup dannon all natural vanuilla yogurt

if using canned goats milk, it will need to be diluted, it is concentrated..
    goats milk can be frozen into cubes also, to stretch 'expiration date'.

whopoopwrasse Guest

there she is! My hero