Thread: Grey Squirrel seizure

Unhappy Grey Squirrel seizure

Last night I had my grey out for his nightly romp. Within a second, he started twitching and fell off the couch. When my husband picked him up, he was having a seizure (head back, body stiff). A few seconds later, he started to freak out, making his warning calls and bolted thru the house. He had to have 1 eye removed due to his fall at birth so when he went running, he ran head first into everything! This is something he has never done nor has he ever had a seizure. The last 3 days he has started walking with a head tilt (good eye down). Today, he is perfectly fine, as if nothing happened. What could cause this? He steal a sugar wafer from the counter but only had a bite of it which he has done before. Should I call the vet and have him looked at?
    mjs

Default Re: Grey Squirrel seizure

What is his diet like -- what does he eat every day? This could be the onset of MBD...

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=17677
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

He gets a variety of veggies and I feed him Henry's squirrel blocks. He also gets a few nuts (walnuts, pecans, almonds, peanuts) a day. He gets plenty of sunlight and full specturm lighting daily.
    mjs

How old is he and how long ago did his fall/eye removal happen?

He is almost 5 (18-19 weeks) months. I got him when he was 4 weeks, eyes closed. His eye was swollen when I got him. His eye was removed around the 13th or 14th of October. When he fell out of the nest, he must have hit the ground on his right side. It was completely blue when he first opened his eyes. The vet found pockets of puss behind his eye when removed. We tried to put him with a group afterwards to get him ready for a possible release but he was attacked each time. He is small for his age and seems a bit "off" at times.
    mjs

MBD is unlikely if he's truly eating the HHBs and not too many nuts per day.

Could the infection behind his eye have come back? That could cause pressure on the brain....
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

I haven't noticed any swelling. Just the head tilt for the last 3 days and the seizure last night. I am really worried about him.
    mjs

PBluejay2 Guest

If at all possible you need to get this baby to a vet. I agree (considering the time frame) that this may be due to a return of an infection. I assume the baby was on antibiotics for a while? I'd treat with antibiotics now to be on the safe side. The head tilt may be the result of the infection spreading to the inner ear.

I am thinking infection myself now. I did talk to the vet. She is going to do a workup on him on Thursday. I was really hopign that come the spring, he could be releasable but more and more my gut is telling me different. Thank You guys for the quick responses. I am new at this.
    mjs

PBluejay2 Guest

Any news on this little one?