Thread: Responsible Squirrel Ownership

Default Responsible Squirrel Ownership

Responsible Squirrel Ownership means being the best owner/caregiver to your squirrel that you can be. Much more than "food, water, and shelter", Responsible Squirrel Ownership is the obligation squirrel owners have to incorporate their squirrels into their homes and providing for the needs of their squirrels, however varied those needs may be.

Responsible Squirrel Ownership Means:

• Realizing that a squirrel is for LIFE and dedicating yourself to the life of your squirrel

• Putting the effort into proper care of your squirrel (proper veterinary care when needed, proper feeding, housing and exercise time)

• Learning all you can about proper feeding, making healthy choices

• Investing in proper health care throughout your squirrel's life

• Realizing that squirrels are basically wild animals that cannot be trained like a dog. Accepting them on their terms, not yours.

• Teaching your children to respect animals and not abuse squirrels through play (this is also Responsible Parenting)

• Coming to terms with the fact that not everybody likes squirrels, and asking yourself, what can you do to ensure that your squirrel is likable, even to them? Practicing the answer

• Teaching other humans how to interact with your squirrel

• Providing your squirrel with a family and a home, not just food and shelter. Squirrels are very social and isolation from the family will result in an unhappy and ultimately, unhealthy squirrel

• Holding yourself, as the squirrel owner, liable for whatever damage your squirrel does, and taking steps to rectify it.
    The Southeast Texas Acorn Academy

Already we have hickory nuts, black walnuts, pecan nuts, peanuts, hazel nuts, oak nuts, beech nuts, chestnuts.......and now you're here!

http://www.nfsa.us/phpBB2/index.php

2. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to muffinsquirrel:

awolf (04-07-2017), Buddy (10-10-2020), Ktbnin1133 (06-18-2022)

Sciurus1 Guest

Default Re: Responsible Squirrel Ownership

WORDS OF WISDOM!!!

Squirrel ownership is definitely different than other pets - you just can't leave them with anyone. It was one of the greatest joys I have ever known.

Excellent post muffinsquirrel

It is a gift from God to love and be loved by a squirrel.

I was blessed to have known such love for 5 1/2 years. Sammy T, I love you and miss you so much. Part of my heart went with you when you left and it will not be complete again until we are together in heaven. I can't wait to see you at Rainbow Bridge.

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

Thanks Muff, well said and so needed to be printed here.

FANTASTIC POST!! They are such a unique animal in my opinion, and the squirrelly owned owner has to be 110% committed .

StewartLittle Guest

Perfect! Everyone that is even considering owning a squirrel should read this!

nancy till Guest

hello could someone please call me i don't know how to use this i don't even know where my message goes and where to check for replys sorry i don't know much about internet,if someone could call me and help me get this started,well i'd be so greatfull. number is xxxxxxxxFLORIDA,THANKS
    Last edited by island rehabber; 01-31-2013 at 05:34 PM.

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

i'll call
    may not be much help
    left a message

on with her now!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

I didnt want to own a squirrel I was old school. let nature take its course. My story is like many.

One day the little kids across the street came to my house with my 11 year old daughter and they were freaking out cause the rain the night before destroyed a squirrel nest. Two babyies lay wet and motionless on the ground but were breathing. The mom was in the tree chattering.

I told the little kids to go in the house and let Nature work... told them the mom would come get the babyies and it would be ok.

20 minutes later the kids were screaming and crying... a tom cat snatched a baby and ran off with it and the mom disappeared. i had no choice but to pick the little thing up and save it from being cat food. I couldn't help it.

I had to call all my animal rescue friends and turn to the internet and educate myself instantly. I did the esbilac and the middle of the night feedings and it went everywhere with me work and dance class cause it had to be fed.

What I didnt learn was how to keep it in such a way I could release it. My 11 year old would feed it and lay with the dogs and cats and they all loved each other and still do.. But now he can never be released cause he thinks cats are family.

sigh... I love him. It was such a unique and difficult learning experience... As an adult he roams free in the house and has a large cage, he got fat and had to go on a diet. We buy fresh shelled nuts to make sure his teeth are not growing and he is doing fantastic almost three years later. He like computer keys and if hes out all lap tops have to be closed. We are all missing a few keys... lol (F7 and Comma).

But this board would have been a huge help had I found it back then.

Now I get to do it all again starting last night. I hope to do it better this time and release him.

SO I will be on this board like a squirrel on a nut looking for tips and help.

PS no rehad in our area. I fear i might become one.

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to supergirldee:

LilMarty (05-05-2021), SweetPete2020 (07-24-2022)

Many of us understand, believe me.

Why don't you start a new thread in The Nursery? If you write in your thread almost like a diary, putting up pics and asking questions, it will not only be a lovely record when the little one is back in the trees, right now it will be read by lots of very experienced eyes who can help you - sometimes when you don't even know you need it. You would be surprised how many little lives have been saved here because a sharp eyed person saw something said offhand in the thread. And the things that happen to you will be read by people for years, and they can often learn things from it.

As to your big keyboard eating squirrel (mine really prefers the TV remote), now I have to ask. What is his daily diet? Let's KEEP him healthy for many years to come. I bet we can help you there...

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

LilMarty (05-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by supergirldee View Post
    PS no rehad in our area. I fear i might become one.
    If you care to share you general area we might have members close by that could be valuable resources?

Our 9 week old just went on a weekend vacation with us and had a blast! We went to a hotel and made sure the beds had that thing under them that she could not crawl under and then watched her like a hawk when she was not on our shoulders or arms playing or in her cage. My husband and I like to stand arms length and closer apart and let her jump from one arm to the other! She goes up and down us like trees and jumps back and forth and loved going up and down the big round pillow bolster. I would love to be able to release her in the spring but my husband wants to keep her so we are planning to build a cage in one of the rooms that goes floor to ceiling and across the front of the window on both sides of the window so she can run and jump and play while we are away from home and then when we get home let her out so she can run around in the room if she wants while we are there. My fear is her "wilding up" as I have read in some of the posts. This scares me a bit and I know she is a wild animal but I sure do hope she stays somewhat kind to us all. I have a question if anyone has any experience with mixing a squirrel and a sugar glider. I want her to have company while we are at work but am not sure if this is a good idea or not. What do others do to keep their family member as happy as can be while inside? We also plan on trying to build a cage for her to be able to go outside while we are out there come spring time so she gets fresh air and some sunshine. Any ideas on how to make her the happiest/healthiest baby we can make? I already am feeding the Fox Valley formula, rodent blocks, mineral licks, and have my list of veggies and fruits from the food pyramid. Any and all suggestions on this would be great as this is the first time and I am really wanting her to be as happy as can be while with us since my husband won't see it any other way.....

Lightbulb Re: Responsible Squirrel Ownership

Hello not sure how old this post is or where you are located. I'm not sure about mixing squirrels and gliders but there is a licensed facility that breeds them here in Tennessee maybe you can find her an companion here.
    Last edited by stepnstone; 10-09-2020 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Removed web site - TSB does not support the advertising of sellers/breeders.

I am a new squirrel owner that was breed and raised domestically. I got her at 4 weeks and she is about 8 weeks now. She is very jumpy and I just want to get her to a loving little cuddle bug that I see so many post about. Anyone have any suggestions. I have a bonding bag and also she has a harness. I'm trying to spend more time with her but I have a 1 year old that doesn't understand she is small. So our bonding time is his sleep time. Also I have a permit to owner her.

Is this a gray squirrel? Spending time with your squirrel is the best thing you can do. Quiet, non-threatening interactions will work best. You can offer her a small piece of nut to help with the bonding process.

I've read a lot that a baby squirrel will wean itself off formula... our rescue squirrel is approximately 3 1/2 months old. He eats the rodent blocks & healthy veggies good. However, he continues to want his formula in the evening. How do we know this you ask? Well, when we found him when he was approximately 5-6 weeks old we would feed him in our kitchen. We have squirrel proofed our screen room & made it Woody's room. After dinner each evening we will be out there spending time with him. We have french double doors that lead into the house. There is a wood stool in front of one of the doors. He will get up
    & down on the stool pacing back & forth looking into the house between 6:50 - 7. When either my husband or I go to mix up the formula he goes crazy. I'm concerned because of his age... how old is too old for formula? He is very active. We feed him in the morning and around 5 pm. He has a big tree limb that has bark on it. Plus many things to chew on. Sorry this is so long...

Seriously no age is too old for formula; it has calcium and nutrients and is so good for him be thankful he still wants it.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

Woody's Mom (10-10-2020)

I have a female that has been released for 4 years. If I mix up formula and take it out to her in the evening she will usually take 6-9ccs every time. She has had 5 litters of babies and I think the nutrients she gets from the formula are very beneficial to her overall health.

24. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

BuddyTheSquirrel (10-16-2020), island rehabber (02-21-2022), KCullen (08-09-2021), stepnstone (10-09-2020), Woody's Mom (10-10-2020)