Thread: Info on State Wildlife Laws

Default Info on State Wildlife Laws

I wanted to keep this short and to the point and I will do the best I can but I am frustrated and, well, really frustrated with my states laws on wildlife and don't know where to go for guidance.

Today spoke to a rehabber in MD not 10 miles from my house. I was contacting her to get a resource in place just in case if I have to deal with wildlife at work. We don't do much but today I had to go help with removing a bird (starling) nest from a dryer vent and was terrified that there would be babies or eggs. I had a box and a fluffy blankie all ready just in case. This lady is on my way back home and would be perfect for me to drop babies off with if I needed too. She was wonderful and said I can bring anything by at any time from deer to bats. I have a bat inspection on Friday was thrilled I have a place to take babies if there are any.

ANYWAY, (I said I'd try to keep it short) I was asking her what she knew about WV laws regarding wildlife. She didn't know much except that there are really no rehabbers to speak of. The one girl she knew that had critters she was raising to release was also fighting for legislation on rehabilitation. The DNR came in and euthanized (MURDERED) all the animals she had on the property.

I am just sick, I want so much to help but I also know I don't want to put any animals in danger. My understanding is that for the most part DNR just ignores the keeping of wildlife unless people are in danger in some way.

This lady was very nice and said I can stop by anytime to meet her and her animals. I plan to do so soon and I am hoping she will teach me. I want to learn all I can.

Okay, getting to the point... how do I find out more about the laws in my state? I have spent hours surfing the web and can find nearly nothing except for details on how many river otters were killed in 2007. Any ideas, suggestions???

Maybe I'll just have to move!

Default Re: Info on State Wildlife Laws

When I wanted to find out about wildlife laws in our state I started with our DNR and was refered to our states wildlife,fish and game deptartment.

They are usually very helpful as they want to preserve habitat and resources for future hunters and all the little critters that others may or may not feed on or just depend on for other reasons. They "our state" have links to current bills and laws in the process and was very informative.

I Dont hunt myself but my family did when I was young so I know that side of the fence as well and learned very young to respect nature.

We may not agree with hunters but they do have a lot of the same reasons to be active and preserve nature even if we may not agree with them or their motives. I would start there myself..

Because all of nature depends on each other we all may have different reasons but the same goal to insure our wildlife for future generations.

Hope this Helps Bruce and Tree
    I've Lived Hard, Fast and Wild. Now I live Wise!!

Thanks Bruce and "Tree",

I will call DNR and see if anyone can tell me anything beyond what is on their site. I am not native to WV but I have grown to love the state I have chosen to live in. That being said, there is a lot here that is still in the 'darkages' so to speak. I found a notice that fox kits can be raised to be released for the hunt but nothing about rehabilitating injured or orphaned foxes.

In the mean time I will love my little fuzzbutt and keep my eyes open for opportunities to help where I can.

Deezer Guest

This is Furball's mom. Husband and I both worked for WV DNR for many years in state parks, raised many animals. I would guess if you call DNR you will not get an informed answer, they just often do not seem to know.

I did find this in an earlier post and that is what I have been guided by:

Florida and West Virginia are the only states I know of where greys are either allowed to be kept as pets, or the state (WV) has no rehab policy at all and basically doesn't care what people do. That leaves 48 states where squirrels are not legal pets. Don't take it lightly, mugzeezma -- authorities WILL seize pet squirrels, and they will euthanize them.
    Be careful, hope this helps!

mugzeezma Guest

I actually had to make a ridiculous number of phone calls to get info. WV DNR is a great place to start but you can also try veterinarians to see if any know of rehabbers. I understand your frustration but eventually something will turn up if you keep beating the bushes. Sounds like there is a real need for rehabbers there.