Thread: Rehab license in NY

Default Rehab license in NY

Hello everyone! I'm new to the board, though I've been reading it for a few days now. There's a wealth of information on here that I'm grateful for!

I live on Long Island, in NY and all my life have been in love with rodents. I've had everything from mice to hamsters to gerbils to sugar gliders (yes I know they're technically marsupials!) I always wanted to become a vet when I was younger, but instead found myself in school for photography (however my love for animals has never diminished!)

My friend is a vet tech at a local hospital and someone dropped two baby orphaned squirrels on their door step last week. They were both in sad shape, and one had to be put down because he had a broken leg. She called me and asked if I'd mind taking care of the other, hoping that he may pull through, and I obliged. He is the cutest little thing I've ever seen! I named him Otis for the time being, and I believe he is about five weeks old. Fully furred, eyes open, bottom teeth, and a recent break in the top teeth, his tail curves ever so slightly... and I don't think he's far off from being able to sit up on his own! I've had him in a 10 gallon tank with blankets, a reptile heating pad underneath the tank and I've been feeding him 3-6cc of ebsilac with a syringe every 4 hours. I introduced him to a bit of shelled sunflower seeds, granola, and flowers off some of my broccoli robe that I had for dinner (un-cooked of course!). This little guy is doing WAY better than when I got him, though he still has the runs a bit. I read that I should cut the ebsilac with more water and feed him a bit less. Is there anything else that may help?

Now a more tricky question... aside from the advice given to me from my friend (who is a vet tech, but doesn't work with exotic animals), I contacted my aunt in California who works with many animals. She once rehabbed a raccoon that is still coming into the house every morning with the dogs! She told me that I may be able to get a current rehabber to allow me to work under their license / permit via satellite. It seemed like a wonderful idea, being that I could continue to help Otis, as well as take in other small mammals who may be in need to help. However, I can't seem to find ANY information about this online, and I don't know where to start. I keep ending up back here http://www.nyswrc.org/rehabbers.html which lists current rehabbers, or here http://www.dec.ny.gov/ - where it seems easier to find a license to kill animals than to help them, ironic, isn't it? I imagine this would be a long process to get licensed myself, but in the interim is there anything I can do to continue to help my new buddy, legally? I'd love to continue helping him myself, and I'm afraid if I call too many people I may not get an answer I like, and I might lose him! Thank you in advance for any help and advice! You've all so helpful already, Otis and I thank you!

ShesASquirrelyGirl Guest

Default Re: Rehab license in NY

Its actually fairly easy to obtain a license for rehabbing in NY unfortunately and it seems every idiot in the state has been applying. I would wait for Island rehabber or pm her and she could probably help you get started better then most people on here. She is one of the decent rehabbers in NY. If that doesn't work pm me and I can hook you up with someone.
    You also might want to checkout the nutrition and FAQ on here. The only thing this baby should be eating right now is esbilac/fox valley and rodent block. Ditch the sunflower seeds and granola. Save the veggies for later as well. You can easily obtain Mazuri rodent by looking up a dealer on the Mazuri site. You can also use lower quality blocks from a pet store until you can get better ones. Harlan teklad is a great block that can be purchased online and there are some blocks people sell on here as well.
    Good luck

hi Otis -- welcome to TSB. This is the link you need:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/25027.html

There are very, very few rehabbers in our part of NY state who actually REHAB. Plenty of people with licenses in their wallets who never take in a single animal -- guess it sounds good at parties, know what I mean? Nassau & Queens counties are desperately devoid of active wildlife rehabbers, so if you're interested I would say here's where you start!

The advice you've already gotten here is right on -- that baby needs formula ONLY right now. Please go here if you haven't already:
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=11782

BTW, you can't do any of this legally so forget that idea. Do not tell people -- neighbors, anyone -- you have a baby squirrel. As for working under someone else's license, you would need to go down the list of rehabbers in your particular area and see if anyone will work with you. Worth a try!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Thank you both so much for all the info! I definitely won't be feeding him any more granola and seeds... that was a recommendation from my friend, who I am slowly learning seems to have little knowledge about squirrels (she told me Otis was only 2-3 weeks old)

I am definitely going to both look for someone who might let me work under them, while also looking to get my license. I'm looking forward to helping more animals.. and I can't wait until Otis is old enough to start building a release cage!

Quote Originally Posted by Otis
    Thank you both so much for all the info! I definitely won't be feeding him any more granola and seeds... that was a recommendation from my friend, who I am slowly learning seems to have little knowledge about squirrels (she told me Otis was only 2-3 weeks old)

I am definitely going to both look for someone who might let me work under them, while also looking to get my license. I'm looking forward to helping more animals.. and I can't wait until Otis is old enough to start building a release cage!
    And please stick around...we love seeing the babies grow and we're here to help you...oh, and welcome...

Again everyone thank you for the help. I was telling Island Rehabber that I once had a sick fish from a pet store, and when I went online for help everyone chewed me a new one... which really turned me off from looking for additional help. It's sad how people can sometimes get on their soapbox and start yelling at misinformed people who are looking for help! This board is amazing and everyone has been SO helpful! Otis is doing so much better! He knows when feeding time is and is up looking around the room waiting for me or my boyfriend to come in an feed him. He nips some times, but I use the "thumb against the chin" tactic that I learned from having an abused sugar glider who wasn't always so nice! That has definitely curved his nipping from "a little too hard" to "lightly and more playful". I believe Otis is 6 weeks old, and I have a 3 level addition to the fish tank that I used to house gerbils in... would that be a good place to allow him to explore a bit? I plan on building him his own cage, but in the mean time I thought it may give him a bit more space outside of the 10 gallon tank. Right now he's just in a blanketed 10 gallon tank with a heating pad underneath. I also attempted to give him part of a paper towel roll, because I know how much my gerbils love eating through those!

Here's a shot of him after feeding yesterday that my boyfriend took with his cell phone!

Oh my what a sweet milky face! Good luck with your licensing. This is a wonderful place with amazingly warm hearted people to help.

OTIS---you're a Handsome Fella...and your new parents will take GOOD Care of you--

Stay right here on TSB and all of your questions can be answered--quickly and accurately.....
    I am a new DADDY ( 5 months) and I must have asked over a hundred questions---TSB is the reason Little Rama Rota is strong & healthy...

MORE PHOTOS
    -------------- please.

Stosh Keeper of the KING ( of Costa Rica )