Thread: Cutting your squirrels teeth.

Danali Guest

Default Cutting your squirrels teeth.

If I'm putting this in the wrong place, please move it and sorry.

Ok, I have a question. Oliver's teeth got really long so I went online and found this site that tells you how to cut them...wrap them up like a burrito in a hand towel and use a small wooden stick (I used one of my art sticks) to pry open the mouth then cut....I can never get them straight and the last time, I cut his little tongue a bit (God, I felt like Jack the Ripper)...Does anyone know a better way to keep the teeth cut and even. Any info would be well appreciated.

squirrel princess Guest

Default Re: Cutting your squirrels teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Danali
    If I'm putting this in the wrong place, please move it and sorry.

Ok, I have a question. Oliver's teeth got really long so I went online and found this site that tells you how to cut them...wrap them up like a burrito in a hand towel and use a small wooden stick (I used one of my art sticks) to pry open the mouth then cut....I can never get them straight and the last time, I cut his little tongue a bit (God, I felt like Jack the Ripper)...Does anyone know a better way to keep the teeth cut and even. Any info would be well appreciated.
    Post this in the squirrel ailment section in mallaclusions

Done -- moved your thread.
    Danali, do Oliver's teeth not line up correctly? They should be grinding down on their own if he is chewing branches, an antler or bone piece, or hard nuts in the shell. If they are not grinding now, he may have malocclusion -- misplaced teeth growing in the wrong direction -- which is a fairly serious situation. Do you have a vet who can see him, who is familiar with squirrels or at least rodents?
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Hi Danali - you can check out Parker's thread (in the same place yours is now) She had a terrible malocclusion, it almost killed her because she was starving. Do your squirrel's teeth look like hers? I take her to the vet every 3 or so weeks for a trim. She was a wild squirrel though, and I'm chicken to try.

Members who have read this thread: 2