Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Possible Cat Attack

Apple Corps Guest

Default Re: Possible Cat Attack

All good advice from Buddy'sMom - the older pills may have 75% potency unless they were stored in poor conditions (heat, light, humidity).

AS such - you could bump the dosage to 4mg safely - or even 5mg would be fine.

So far, so good. I used Neosporin spray and was quick and easy on his backside. The disolved portion of Cipro in water at given at .4cc went real smooth. He's sleeping again so we'll do it again at 5:30 tomorrow morning. Thanks again to all of you!

Apple Corps Guest

Sounds as if you are on top of things!! I would still try to locate some more current Cipro or Baytril just in case...

Have you determined if the skin is missing - fur pulled out - how extensive the "wound" is?

Also - puncture wounds or not?

Feel free to PM me about lowering the number of predating cats in your area.

GoldenEyes Guest

FYI and plea to everyone:

All different types of medicines, and since so many are being dispensed these days, they are starting to become ever more present in our drinking water.

When disposing of any medicine (over the counter and prescribed), please don't flush it down the toilet or down the drain. Please find a place that would take them for proper disposal like at the Hazardous Materials Disposal Center near you. Thank you.

http://news.aol.com/health/story/ar/...09184409990001

Apple Corps Guest

Correctomundo GoldenEye

tatcat Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenEyes
    FYI and plea to everyone:

All different types of medicines, and since so many are being dispensed these days, they are starting to become ever more present in our drinking water.

When disposing of any medicine (over the counter and prescribed), please don't flush it down the toilet or down the drain. Please find a place that would take them for proper disposal like at the Hazardous Materials Disposal Center near you. Thank you.

http://news.aol.com/health/story/ar/...09184409990001

i so agree!!!!

Loopy Squirrel Guest

By the way you are describing the squirrels injury I am wondering if it was grabbed by a hawk. I have had four hawk attacks this year on my backyard squirrels. I even caught the the hawk standing on one of my crying babies. When the hawk saw me he flew off and let the baby go. They do terrible damage including punctures and scalping. They also can squeeze the squirrel and cause internal damage. I'd watch the squirrel very carefully. Hawks talons are very dirty and definitely a potential infection site whereever they puncture. All four of my guys managed to escape the grip of the hawk but they suffered injuries from minor punctures to very deep scratches and puntures into the muscle that later abcessed.

Apple Corps Guest

Loopy - we were having a b ig hawk problem as well. They were starting to look at our yard and fuzzers as a buffet line.

Matters were quickly taken care of - hawks are now gone.

Loopy Squirrel Guest

What did you do? I need advice.

Apple Corps Guest

Loopy - first, my philosophy: We invite these wonderful lil creatures into our lives and ONTO our property. Thus, I will not allow them to become a buffet for hawks or cats. The never ending debates about "nature taking its course" are not for me - I will protect our guests to the best of my ability. We have had cat problems - at least 6 of them are no longer predating on anything. As a result of their departure, our herb garden no longer has cat feces in it and our doors are clean and bright. More importantly, our native wildlife has flourished - dove, hummingbirds, lizards, fuzzers, and more little birds than I can identify.

As to the owls & hawks - we have had a number of them - one or two so aggressive that they were attacking squirrels on our covered patio only eight feet away. The lil fuzzers were quick enough to hop onto the pavers and go under our heavy teak chairs. The flying predators would fly up 15' to 20' up into a tree and stare for my departure. Their wait was not to their benefit and they prey no more.

As you know, there are federal and state laws regarding the shooting of raptors. Your location (rural, urban, suburban) and adherence to the law will dictate many people's course of action. Neither I nor TSB would publicly advocate shooting them - there are, no doubt, many cases where some rural locations and common sense judgement have resulted in raptors being taken out with "extreme prejudice". Along those same lines, I suspect that urban and suburban dwellers have migrated to high powered pellet rifles to dispatch the raptors with similar "extreme prejudice". Next down the ladder would be paintball guns - there are some legal restrictions about harassing them as well - but.....

Garden hoses and banging pots and pans may help deter an attack about to happen but not that effective in the long run.

A passive series of approaches involves disrupting their flight paths with lots of shrubs (3' high), string tied between your gutters and nearby tree limbs, netting, and boards leaned up against things to provide overhead protection.

Some people have written about placing some toy rats, mice, squirrels, etc. in tree limbs with monofilament snares all around them. That may not be legal either - but is probably effective. Feeding stations should be set up in areas with LOTS of overhead protection. The normal paths to get to the feeding/watering areas should also be so protected.

For more open areas - I purchase 6' long plastic garden poles - wrap string around three of them about 12" from one end - and form a tepee that is about 5 feet high. Place 3 or 4 of those around - loop some string between them - sort of like making your own spider web - you have now given the lil critters some better chance of getting killed.

Does that help?

edit: someone that deployed all of these measures would have really have a protected area.

GoldenEyes Guest

Apple Corps, sounds like you have been real busy setting these things up. So glad you found a win-win situation for all parties involved without anyone getting injured. I'm trying to visualize everything you described, but have some difficulty. Could you help us out with some pics of the setup? And which type of 3' bushes are you using? I get very confused when I go to the plant nursery because there are too many to choose from. If you could name a few, that would be very helpful. Thank you!

Apple Corps Guest

Will do - later today

GoldenEyes Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Apple Corps
    Will do - later today
    Thank you so much! Can't wait to see it!

I'm very worried about Boomer. I'm calling out to Apple Corps and Mars to give me some suggestions.

Boomer seemed to be better last night. We brought him in from his squirrel box outside and into the garage where he has some peace and quiet and can rest and be monitored. He has always been spooked of all kinds of predators at all times - so he was completely at peace last night. We gave him .5cc of diluted Cipro as per AC's recommendations yesterday and treated the wound with spray on Neosporin.

He ate a bit and drank some water and went to sleep. This morning at 5:30am, he was pretty lethargic but let us handle him. We treated the wound a second time and gave him another .5cc of diluted Cipro through a syringe both times - just quickly shot into his mouth. He climbed up on his dad's back and peed the longest pee I've ever seen a squirrel do.

But now, he's still sleeping, his nose is crusty dry and breathing seems labored and slow. Hasn't wanted water or food. It's just very reminiscent of his brother last weekend who complained of an injured foot or leg and slept for 2 1/2 days and then died of convulsions in our arms.

My husband thinks that it could be related to the Cipro because he seemed to be doing so much better last night. Any thoughts? Could it be coincidental that he got a chunck taken out of him at the same time as he's actually dying from being poisoned?

The injury site looks pretty good, as far as having your fur fully ripped off and three long gashes left behind.

Any advice is appreciated. I do not know how all of you have the stamina to go through such an emotional roller coaster with these little guys but I'm certainly glad that you are out there and helping. Because I have no vets to turn to in the state where I live. Thanks.

Buddy'sMom Guest

I'm so sorry Boomer isn't doing well ... and sorry for the loss of his brother last week.

Several rehabbers receive email notices when there are Emergency postings and hopefully one will come soon and help you. It seems unlikely (to me) that the Cipro would have that effect, but to be on the safe side, perhaps you should hold off on the next dose until someone with more knowledge of the meds advises you. In the meantime, keeping him quiet and comfortable, offering water and "juicy" foods will probably be the best thing.

Injured squirrels DO prefer to rest when they are hurt. Still, you know Boomer and if your instinct is that he's not right ......well, I hope someone can tell you what you should do next.

Thanks.

Buddy'sMom Guest

A couple of questions that might provide helpful info for the rehabbers:

1. Was the pee (a sign of love! ) on a light enough shirt for you to notice if it was clear or had any sign of blood in it?

2. When you handled him, did he give any indication of tenderness in any spot? Or difficulty moving? (Wondering if he might have any internal injury --- it's hard to see bruising with their fur, but tenderness could be an indication, or any swelling -- ??)

3. Are you aware of anything he (they) could have been poisoned with? Any pesticides used or sprayed in your yard or neighbors yards? Anthing stored where they could get into it (and looking a bit ripped or nibbled)??

Yes, the pee was a sign of love, plus the fact that he's not in his usual environment where he can pee outside the cage. He took the opportunity of being out of the cage where he sleeps and dosed his dad with liquid love. Good thing he hadn't showered yet.

Anyhow, the pee was clear (as far as squirrel pee goes) but had no signs of blood.

Yes, we have handled him quite a bit checking out for any signs of tenderness, swelling, etc. and find no such indication. He stretches and curls up and sprawls out all without any indication of internal injury.

As far as poison...we do not use any kind of weed control, fertilizer or any chemicals due to birds, squirrels, and our own two doxies that are close to the ground already. However, we cannot control the stupidity of our neighbors. Two days after the release of our 4 babies, our next door neighbor had guys with tanks on their backs spray their entire backyard with roundup (or something like it) and everything in their yard died within a couple days and then they came in and tilled it all up, treated it with something else, and laid down fresh new sod. They also have cats...

When Spike died last week, I called my dog's vet and asked if roundup would have killed a squirrel if it crawls back and forth under the fence to bury its stash...and she said that it dries quickly and most likely wasn't the cause. Even their cats wouldn't probably be effected. I find that hard to believe but who knows.

There are so many things that I'm sure the neighbors around me use, slug bait, rat poison, some people think squirrels are rodents and don't like their bulbs dug up that they just planted, etc., etc., etc. I even took a big walk around our entire neighborhood last week after Spike died looking for any evidence of traps, or poison deliberately left out and I couldn't find anything.

Our little guys are just so curious, especially having not been brought up with a mother to keep track of what they are getting into that I feel like we set them up for failure. The first week out, boomer ate some of my sedums and got really sick for a couple of days. Diarreah and everything. Pedialyte and rest fixed him right up. OK, I'm going to stop ranting. But that's what I know. Thanks for the questions.

Buddy'sMom Guest

You have been very thorough. That's good news about the pee (except for dad), and that there are no apparent tender spots.

If it was RoundUp herbicide they sprayed (and likely was), I don't think that would have caused a problem, especially once dried. It is supposed to only be active against growing plants, interfering with their growth mechanisms. Rat and other critter poisons can be very bad, however. Unfortunately, there's no way to protect wild squirrels ......

I know you must feel devastated by Spike's death. But by rescuing, raising and releasing him, Spike was able to have an opportunity at the free-in-the-trees squirrelly life he was born for, and I'm sure he loved being out in the trees and grass, if only for a short time. It's very tought to be a wild squirrel, whether squirrel or human raised. Try not to be too hard on yourself for things out of your control.

Apple Corps Guest

I would keep the Cipro per schedule - you do not want to start and stop and start antibiotics - bad news. It could be that your lil fuzzer is healing - needing rest and a calm healing place. Plenty of water handy - some pedilyte available would be good also.

Vitamin K is the antidote for most rat poisons.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast