Thread: Squirrel Scratches - Need rabies shots?

Default Squirrel Scratches - Need rabies shots?

I got scratched up good this morning by a baby gone wild when I went to fill the munch box. I held out a peanut, and instead of taking it, she grabbed my hand with both of hers, bit my finger (but did not draw blood) and then ran up my arm, across my face (!), over my head and down my back, around a tree, back up on my back and back onto the fence. She scratched my nose, forehead and maybe scalp. And generally flew around me through the air like Spiderman. I think she would have done it again, but I threw a handful of peanuts on the ground, which distracted her, and she settled down to eat these quite peacefully.

I do not know what she meant by doing this, and you should have seen the look on the face of a nearby adult squirrel.

But what I want to know is, should I go get rabies shots? I do not know whether this was one of Pookie's babies or not. I do know that one of her babies sort of did this to me one day at the nest site (while growling). There was no growling this time, but I do not understand the motive. Was it playing? Was it saying hello? Was it acting crazy because she was excited to see me but also afraid? Was she trying to chase me away from the munch box? (Unclear on the concept.)

So I need to know, do I rush to the doctor to get rabies shots.

squirrel princess Guest

Default Re: Squirrel Scratches - Need rabies shots?

I doubt very seriously you would need a rabies shot....I would think a very food aggressive squirrel went wild on your face. I am sure someone will be on to help you and i hope you are able to continue feeding them

No...go ahead and relax.

You can read this thread on TSB on rabies:
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...uirrels+rabies

Mountain Mama is offline Her Royal Highness Administrator

I do not know what she meant by doing this, and you should have seen the look on the face of a nearby adult squirrel.

I don't mean to laugh at you, but you have quite a way with words. That totally cracked me up. I am sorry you got battle wounds, though. Welcome. I have many.

Squirrels generally don't carry rabies, and I have been bitten (and blood drawn) by a wild one recently. She doesn't sound like a rabid squirrel, either, just a hungry, possessive one.

~like a small grey teapot sits the squirrel ~wolfe

squirrel princess Guest

Hydrogeine peroxide and antibiotic cream like neosporin Chipper does the racing figure eight around my neck sometimes so I can imagine a wild with those untrimmed claws...scary

Oh I know how that feels with Fallen

Fallen is my squirrel I raise that is now can we say "soft release" and well I'm his playground. If you saw my battle wounds you'd shake your head. My hubby say's people probably think I sit around in a dark closet cutting myself Fallen does that really wild stuff, like what you describe when he is on me and something spooks him and then he goes hog wild and goes into freeze mode or goes hog wild then jumps to the tree and goes into freeze mode.

The scratches seems to hurt the most when they first happen and if you go to shower tonight you'll feel them. The scratches should feel better in the morning though. I can just see the squirrel now going wild on you

I have been badly bitten on my finger last September by a wild squirrel, almost needing stitches. I never went to the doctor and just cleaned it with anti-biotic ointment and alcohol. It cleaned right up, no swelling, or infection, and healed nicely. I had paper cuts that hurt longer than that did. As others said in this chat, you needn't worry. I was feeding the squirrels at the time, and being the beginning of Fall the squirrels were extremely hyper. So it was not his fault.

James

skye Guest

Talking Re: Squirrel Scratches - Need rabies shots?

I'm sorry but it is funny No Squirrel do NOT carry Rabies if they did they be dead before they could get to you
    Hope you feel better soon.

tatcat Guest

jlm i too, like many of us by squirrels, have many battle wounds...i have a 3 month old grey...my neck, hands, and face(including my bottom lip)is shredded at the moment... as for as the rabies, i would prolly be dead by now as i get bit all the time playing with my lil one!!!

I have a flyer and he loves to aim for my face when he decides to jump and glide...I'm sure other flyer owned persons experience this also.....I keep a huge aloe plant and just apply the sap to the scratches and that's that....till next time

Whew! That's a relief. Thank you all for your responses. Pookie Pie, you see, was always very polite. Did not go wild, did not bite others, AND, wonder of wonders, never took things that were not hers or had not been offered to her. "No no no no no" was enough to clue her in. She was my sweet little friend who never hurt anybody. God, how my heart is still breaking!

CorgiLover Guest

Hubby always comments that I look like I have "played in a blender" after playing with Keebler!

I too, researched the whole rabies thing after I got Keebler and even called the CDC. I was told (and I quote), "you are more likely to wake up with your head sewn to your carpet than you are to get rabies from a squirrel!"

TanquerayG Guest

A squirrel bit me really bad last week, I called my doctor, he said I need to get rabies shots, I went to Emergency Room, they researched it, and said shots are not needed. Their database shows no one in Massachusetts has ever gotten rabies from a squirrel bite. The dept of public health for Mass said the same and considers it not possible to get rabies. I think I read somewhere it is possible. Anyways the ER agreed I should watch for flu symptoms over the next month to indicate I got rabies but otherwise don't worry. So I suggest doing what I did and get the professionals to say not to worry. It may be a state level risk that you need to assess.

Quote Originally Posted by JLM27
    I got scratched up good this morning by a baby gone wild when I went to fill the munch box. I held out a peanut, and instead of taking it, she grabbed my hand with both of hers, bit my finger (but did not draw blood) and then ran up my arm, across my face (!), over my head and down my back, around a tree, back up on my back and back onto the fence. She scratched my nose, forehead and maybe scalp. And generally flew around me through the air like Spiderman. I think she would have done it again, but I threw a handful of peanuts on the ground, which distracted her, and she settled down to eat these quite peacefully.
    OK, nothing constructive to add here... but...

I really wish there would have been a video of this.

That would have been good enough to motivate TSB to have a "July 2008 Video Contest" thread. Or a whole "Squirrels Gone Wild" video series.

I went through the same thing in Massachusetts last fall. Same advice. My GP called the State Dept of Public Health right in front of me, on the spot, and talked to a physician there who said no, that the chance was so slight as to be negligble.
    Technically, any mammal can carry rabies, but the animal control officers tell me that squirrels are so little they don't survive the attacks long enough to become contagious. The NEWC down in Weymouth requires that anyone volunteering for them has to get a rabies series before they are allowed to handle mammals. Birds and reptiles OK, but not mammals, and no one but professional staff can deal with foxes, coyotes, or raccoons (especially raccoons). But I'm not sure whether that is over cautious due to Public Health Regulations or what.
    The other thing is, the medicos usually ask if it was a "provoked" bite. Fooling around with the squirrels, reaching out and touching them, and enticing them with peanuts and such is considered a "provoked" bite. Wandering around in the woods or your backyard, minding your own business and getting randomly bitten by an aggressive squirrel is taken more seriously. That's why releases are in danger if they go up to a strange human and jump on them or bite them.
    PS.I started this thread because I didn't know if any danger attached to being scratched, as opposed to bitten.

This is an old thread but because we have people that read these posts from the web, I thought an update would be worthwhile.

Squirrels do not carry rabies!

HOWEVER, it's always important to make sure you are updated with your tetanus shots. Very important when dealing with any animals.