Thread: Help!! Again!!

Default Help!! Again!!

Angel is sleeping but not with her 2 remaining babies. I looked in her cage, top floor where her nest is. She was sleeping but not with the babies. 1 baby I found in a corner, no protection, coldm, and the other baby in an opposite corner also no protection and also very cold. I moved both to the nest. Angel returned from eating on floor below, but again put herself away from the babies. They are moving but very slowly. I don't know if or when to intervene! And I can't imagine losing 2 more babies. What do I look for so I can decide it is time to take them away from her? By the way this was the 3rd time today I found them somewhere else in the cage, alone. Angel's Mom

xoxkayxox Guest

Default Re: Help!! Again!!

Hi, Ive been following your story and i think your doing very well so far. My chipmunk did this with her babies, she did it about 3times during the day and then went to bed with them at night but when i woke up, she was running round happy and i found the babies dead. So id say intervene as she wouldnt leave them alone this early on if she was intending to be a good mum as they obviously cant regulate their temperature yet. Dont make my mistake, Kay

I agree - I would pull the babies and try to raise them myself. Since she has more or less abandoned them, you know that they will not survive left with her. Whether or not there is something inherently wrong with the babies is something you have no way of knowing for certain. But if you take them and try to raise them, you will have at least have given them every chance at life. If they do not make it, you will probably never know exactly why, but you will know that you gave them warmth and food and all the comfort anyone could, and that they did not die unloved and unwanted.

I hope it goes well for you and for them. If I can be of any help, feel free to get in touch with me.

muffinsquirrel
    Judy C.

I'm no expert but I too agree, you need to do what you can, Angel is either not interested or there could be something wrong with her, is she doing OK since she gave birth? By the way how is the one that you have been nursing? They need you keep us posted, wish we were there to help. Our thoughts are with you and the babies, good luck

Hello Angels mom
    It is time now to take the remaining two babies. If they are cold she has abandoned them. The most you can hope for is that they did get to nurse from her some. The first thing to do is get them warmed up. The best way to do this is to tuck them in to your bra. As they get warm they will usually get more active.Then I would start with some warm pedialite for a while to be sure they are properly hydrated. Of course they will need to be stimulated to go to the bathroom. I usually do this before and after each feed with warm water on a cottonball. Dont be surprised if they dont go at first as they are probably dehydrated and will take a while to have excess. Once you have these things done then they can be with the baby you have allready been raising as long as you have a way of telling them apart as these two will need to start off with their formula diluted and im sure the baby youve been raising is allready on full strength. Good luck with them all and dont hesitate to ask more questions. Stacey
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel's Mom
    Angel is sleeping but not with her 2 remaining babies. I looked in her cage, top floor where her nest is. She was sleeping but not with the babies. 1 baby I found in a corner, no protection, coldm, and the other baby in an opposite corner also no protection and also very cold. I moved both to the nest. Angel returned from eating on floor below, but again put herself away from the babies. They are moving but very slowly. I don't know if or when to intervene! And I can't imagine losing 2 more babies. What do I look for so I can decide it is time to take them away from her? By the way this was the 3rd time today I found them somewhere else in the cage, alone. Angel's Mom

Angel's Mom, I agree totally with Rygel....you must take the babies now, and I'm sure you have already by the time I'm writing this. Good luck with them....you know what to do and thank God you are there. In the wild they would not have stood a chance. We're all here with you, too.
    Last edited by island rehabber; 07-24-2006 at 05:40 AM.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Good luck, thinking of you here!

Angel's mom, I know you are busy but could we get an update on the 3 babies We all worry just as if they were ours.

I just couldn't put a note here yesterday which was a nightmare. I put notes as they passed under the Heaven string. I'm sorry to give you the news this way. I know y'all were praying for us, for me. Sam is still hanging on. He is so sweet and loving. He seeks me out at night, finds a way out of his makeup bag and away from his hot water bottles to touch my face and make clicking noises. After feeding (only a few drops) and a brief potty and bath, he still wants to be near me, even explores my ear. Even after I put him on his bed he still clung to my finger. Later on I realized we were nose to nose, him in his bed and my face leaning on the cosmetic bag with me exhaling on him and his face on my lips. I hope and pray he survives. You all have been so supportive to me and reaching out to us with your helpful advise and encouragement. Thank you. Angel's Mom

Exclamation Re: Help!! Again!!

Quote Originally Posted by Angel's Mom
    and away from his hot water bottles to touch my face and make clicking noises.
    The clicking noises....not good!!! Does he do this all the time????? if he sounds like a ticking clock....then It sounds like aspirational phnumoia...he needs amoxi drops from a vet.
    Please respond ASAP it's time critical!!!!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Rebecca <
    SC Wildlife Rehabilitator
    I'm a squirrel watcher, I'm a squirrel watcher, watching squirrels go by, my my my!

Angel's mom, that is great about Sam, every day he is here is a good thing. But SS might be right about the noise, wouldn't hurt to get in contact with her. I guess this means Sam is the only one left?? It is so precious that the 2 of you have bonded like that, he truly thinks and feels you are his mommie Nothing feels better than a wild animal trusting you that much.

Red face Re: Help!! Again!!

:search I keep looking for a post on Sam..I pray all is well:search
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Rebecca <
    SC Wildlife Rehabilitator
    I'm a squirrel watcher, I'm a squirrel watcher, watching squirrels go by, my my my!