Thread: variable strains/strengths of Downs????

Default variable strains/strengths of Downs????

Please can you tell me if there are there different strains/strengths of Downs Syndrome in squirrels as there are in humans with downs? - i.e. some have more capabilities than others etc. As my little Beryl does tick some of the boxes but not all but then she is small for her age i think.
    Lisa.xxx (aka.ljhpsauce) SquirrelOnMyShoulder.com (Wildlife/Squirrel Rescue & Rehab) in Manchester.UK.:Thankyou. XXX

Mountain Mama is offline Her Royal Highness Administrator

Default Re: variable strains/strengths of Downs????

Lisa, I don't truly know the answer to your question, but I would take an educated guess and say yes, based on human facts. Trisomy 21-Down's Syndrome-is an extra 21st chromosome, but there are millions of genes that line up on those chromosomes, and the way that they line up determine the physical appearance and mental capacity of the patient. In humans, there is also something called "mosaics" of Down's patients, where they may appear to look like a Down's patient but not have the extra chromosome. The only true way to know if Beryl has Down's would be genetic testing...likely not feasable.

Just like in humans, I wouldn't think she would have to meet all of the criteria for Down's, but a certain percentage.

Hope this helps you make your determination.

~like a small grey teapot sits the squirrel ~wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by mountainmama
    Lisa, I don't truly know the answer to your question, but I would take an educated guess and say yes, based on human facts. Trisomy 21-Down's Syndrome-is an extra 21st chromosome, but there are millions of genes that line up on those chromosomes, and the way that they line up determine the physical appearance and mental capacity of the patient. In humans, there is also something called "mosaics" of Down's patients, where they may appear to look like a Down's patient but not have the extra chromosome. The only true way to know if Beryl has Down's would be genetic testing...likely not feasable.

Just like in humans, I wouldn't think she would have to meet all of the criteria for Down's, but a certain percentage.

Hope this helps you make your determination.
    Yeah thanks for that info
    Lisa.xxx (aka.ljhpsauce) SquirrelOnMyShoulder.com (Wildlife/Squirrel Rescue & Rehab) in Manchester.UK.:Thankyou. XXX

Question Re: variable strains/strengths of Downs????

I have a question......

What is the earliest age one has diagnosed Downs in a Squirrel? - (like in weeks)
    and... What are the early signs of Downs in a Squirrel?

Ok - let me spark a little interest in my question.... the reason I ask is:

I recently acquired two male squirrels about 3 or 4 weeks old (60 grams) and while one of the squirrels "Damon" is perfect in every way --the other one "Mat" just does not seem right to me....
    his eyes are spread a part, he has no real chin to speak of, very slow in actions, no interest in eating, does not suck on nipple, has long bottom teeth for his age and shakes when he moves.

I have to use a pinkie nipple to feed him with and I have to wiggle it in his mouth to even get his attention as he will NOT suck at all.
    He does not wake up to eat - I have to wake him up and pry his mouth open to place the formula in his mouth & make him to swallow.

His brother "Damon" is right on Que for a Squirrel of 3 to 4 weeks old --but poor little "Mat" is slow to say the least and I am wondering IF I might have a DOWNS on my hand.
    --Does any one know the early warning signs of Downs in a baby Squirrel?

P.S.
    Aunt Jackie will get a look at "Mat" when I take him over with US when Marven gets his teeth trimmed in 3 weeks.

I have never had one here myself, but my understanding of a 'Downs' squirrel is that they are much smaller than normal, with shortened limbs and ears that tend to sprout out from the sides of the head vs. up on top. They don't grow normally, often take only formula for their entire lives, and don't crack nuts or chew. They are also invariably sweet and mellow little creatures. A pic of Mat would help me give you a better opinion here....
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

stepnstone (05-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber
    A pic of Mat would help me give you a better opinion here....
    Will do as soon as MY STUPID Camera STOPS being STUPID!! - lol
    ..... but I have to say over all he looks like his brother and like every other squirrel I have seen at their age - just not right in the face & actions
    (kinda of like how I knew some thing was wrong with Marven when I saw is face) --

Quote Originally Posted by Rhapsody
    Will do as soon as MY STUPID Camera STOPS being STUPID!! - lol
    ..... but I have to say over all he looks like his brother and like every other squirrel I have seen at their age - just not right in the face & actions
    (kinda of like how I knew some thing was wrong with Marven when I saw is face) --
    Could it have ben head trauma that makes him look...different? Either way, you are wise to watch and wait, see if he's just developing more slowly than most or truly challenged in some ways.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber
    Could it have ben head trauma that makes him look...different?
    There doesnt appear to be any head trauma (visible to the eye that is) - the people that found them said they only had the squirrels for a day before they called the local animal hospital and got my rehab center name from them and then called me the next day.... so I got them on day three.

They found one baby squirrel, then found the other baby squirrel (in the same spot) the next day --NO Mom!! - same litter. They followed the basic ER Directions I had posted on my Website for Squirrel Care and I followed through with getting the little fellow hydrated when I got him as he was lethargic when he got here and still is (prob just part of who he is)

But --I agree.... I will watch and see and will post a few pics later today.

Hello, I'm new here but am hoping for some information on one of the squirrels that I am rehabbing. I will try to give as much info as possible without making this into a novel.

She is an Eastern Grey, sweet little thing too. She has always had trouble drinking without snorting it out her nose. It made no difference which syringe or nipple was used and she was always fed very carefully and very slowly.

She is currently 7 weeks old and I have had her and her 3 siblings since they were approximately 3 days old. They are perfectly normal. She has not developed pneumonia or any other health issues thus far. She does not have the appearance of a "downs squirrel" except that the arms may be a bit shorter. The problem is that she seems to shake in everything she does. She's very jerky but manages to eat her nibblies after wrestling them into a position that she can handle. It's almost painful to watch. She still has her milk 3 times a day and is not the least bit under weight. She is the smallest of the litter but it's not hugely noticeable. When she drinks her milk, every part of her little body is moving, almost as if she's riding a bicycle while she's doing it.

Does anyone have any ideas what may be going on with her?

There is a whole range of dwarfism in squirrels. Some are highly functional and others not so much. Besides their ability limitations there are some distinct physical abnormalities. Dwarf squirrels have shorter legs and tails. Their eyes are large in proportion to their head and their ears sit lower on the side of their head. Their joints are not connected correctly so they sorta bumble when they walk. My dwarf boy was pigeon-toed. It was very noticeable when he walked. He could climb some, but others can’t climb at all.

If you can post a picture others can give their opinion.

I have had squirrel babies that snort formula every time they eat....and I have had some that never snort at all. This is not a characteristic of dwarfism.

Here’s my boy who was definitely a dwarf.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Nancy in New York (05-07-2020), Scooterzmom (05-06-2020)