Thread: Ticks on Wilds

Default Ticks on Wilds

Up until last year I have only seen one tick on an animal here in this state and that was my dog many many years ago after a hunting trip on the far side of this state.
    I didn't really even give them any thought until last year when Niki showed up with one on her neck and someone on another board mention not to worry it will drop off when it gets full.

The other day I was editing some pics of that dandelion eating rabbit that lives in my yard and I spotted a tick on it's neck in several of the pics and then when Tude showed up Thursday night I certainly didn't need a camera lens to spot the one on him, as soon as he ran up for a treat it was clearly visible because it was huge.

Here is Tude Thursday

Friday morning he showed up and the tick was missing, I'm guessing it got it's fill of blood and dropped off some time during the night.

Tude Friday morning

Of course after seeing that nasty little thing I started doing an inspection of each and every Tree Rat I could as they came in for breakfast by withholding treats until they turned around several times so I could get a look at them from different angles.

Sure enough Rogaine showed up and she had one on her neck and it looks as if she had one just below that recently by the way the hair looks

Now if these were inside squirrels I have no problem wrestling them down and removing these nasty things but since all mine are tame enough to toss nuts too they are certainly wild enough to not allow capture and handling without possibly causing injury to them during the process.

Does anybody have any treatment that could be used on them or suggestions on how to stop these ticks from getting worse since that makes three I have seen over the last several days now.

Anybody live where ticks are common have any suggestions for controlling them on your property that is safe enough that isn't going to poison everything else living here in the process?

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

Default Re: Ticks on Wilds

Hi Snipe!
    Good Luck!

poor baby -- looks painfull

vdyhogan Guest

Hello,
    I hope this might help, but I am a rehabber of squirrels and fawns and always have tick problems down south here, and what I do is use the liquid seven that you put the water hose to the bottle with and I spray the whole yard late in the evening so it dries before any of the squirrels or deer walk on the grass, I also spray every piece of fence house deck etc everywhere that anything can and would hide and it helps keep the ticks off the squirrels ears as there very bad about getting them there, the seven dust is about all that I will use around any of my wildlife, over all the other insectacides as there all so poisionous, so follow directions carefully.
    mjs

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

I saw this thread and Snipe...
    oh it was a false alert...
    bummed again...
    Snipe is out there somewhere...and I sure do miss him!
    THis is an OLD THREAD!
    Ollie Ollie oxen free snipe!

Well here is a weird one....I see both my cats doing the Daytona 500 around corners in the house (this is a rare sighting they are both couch potatoes) so I know something is up unless they got into their cat nip here runs up and stops right by my foot a salamander lizard.....he was so getting the cats away and crawling all over the floor I get him uninjured so I do the wash and release program (that is I take the out to the water faucet and hydrate them) but I see a little like bump/it is a tic on the lizard right behind his left front leg so I pull it off, I got the whole tic /and drop it can't find it ...but I put the poor little guy in the bushes but first showed him the water bowl I keep out there for all the wilds....he was happy/cats not so much I didn't realize lizards can get tics glad it didn't drop out in my house

lmbh721 Guest

Hi! I'm hoping someone can help me. I took this photo toay of a little black
    squirrel that visits my home daily to feed at the bird feeders. As you can see, she (?) is covered with ticks. Is there anything I can add to the bird seed or can spray on the ground that will kill the ticks, and not the wildlife? TIA, Lynn

lmbh721 Guest

Garden71 Guest

It does not look like ticks. It maybe pox. Can't see the pic so good but it is very hard to treat in the wild.
    Last edited by island rehabber; 12-14-2012 at 05:30 PM.

Yes, that looks like mange and/or pox (they often happen together). The only thing I can recommend is that you provide food and clean water she can easily get to. Supporting her immune system with healthy food is about all you can do....offer her almonds & walnuts as well as bird seed, which really isn't that good for them.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

You need to mix some Echinacea in water and put it out every day for a few months to help Boost their immune System. Use 1 capsule to 1 gal. of Water.
    The Only Echinacea My Out side Squirrels will drink is GNC Bran Echinacea. It is in the glass bottle.
    All the Other Echinacea has a bad taste or after taste. Wild Squirrels stop drinking it. Best to use GNC Bran.
    I mix Mine in the Juice Judge, or Milk Container after they have been empty.
    I offer my wild Squirrels out side, some 2 times a year for 2 months to help them out.
    I mix 1 capsule to 68oz when the Squirrel Pox is Bad.
    I have had good luck turning Squirrel Pox around with just offering Echinacea Water and Offering Extra Food,. (Healthy Vegetables and Nuts. Just to help the Food shortage )
    You should notice a difference with a week or two. First the Pox stops popping up. Then they will dry and turn black. Then fall off. (You might need to treat for Mange later.)
    Good Luck.
    PS
    It will not hurt any of the Wild Animals if they Drink or Take a Bath it it.
    Birds, Coons,Rabbits, and Deer drink it. No Problems.

Garden71 Guest

Thank you everyone.
    It's not my squirrel it is someone else that posted it I just put the picture up and made a new thread in Emergency (Life Threatening) Help Needed so it would get more attention. The post was from "Imbh721" and they have not responded back.
    Mrs. and Mr. Skul I have been using the Echinacea mix since you told me a while ago and give my wilds it every day... They love it!!!!

Miss you Snipe........