Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cat Brought Me A Chipmunk - Now What?

Eden Guest

Default Re: Cat Brought Me A Chipmunk - Now What?

I do have an ancient postal scale. It might not be exact, but it should be close. One moment while I weigh Mr. Peepers.

2 1/2 ounces.

Eden Guest

We crossed posts. It sounds clear. I'll have to find something for measuring, and I'll be careful not to drown him in it. He seems to love the pedialyte water, so I'll try it with some of that.

Any opinions about the prednisone? I'm about to upload some videos of his leg movements. I'll link them in just a few.

By the way, thank you all so much for your help. It's nice when someone else cares too.

Buddy'sMom Guest

2 1/2 oz -- he sounds like not quite adult.

2.5 cc is a lot to give a chippie. I'm thinking you would want to dissolve it in half that amount.

But here we are talking about cc -- do you even have anything like a calibrated eyedropper or syringe? FYI, cc is the same as ml, in case you have something that measures in milliliters (ml).

hmmm ... let me check to see if there is a conversion to tsp. ---- do you have a 1/8 tsp measuring spoon?

OK! http://fiascofarm.com/conversion_guide.htm#Volume

Conversion Chart - Weight and Apothecaries' Equivalents

Please note: Droppers come in various sizes with various size openings. A drop is usually exactly the same amount of liquid no matter what size the dropper, but some liquids may be very thin and lightweight and some very thick and heavy weight. So, be aware drops can vary.
    20 drops = 1 ml (cc) (generally)
    30 drops = 1/4 tsp. (approx.)
    60 drops = 1/2 tsp. or 2 1/2 cc (approx.) or 2.5 ml

Quote Originally Posted by Apple Corps
    Would someone please post about aspiration and feeding position? May not be critical as this looks like an adult but.........
    Below is some info from the Emergency Care stickie, also some pics. These are baby greys, not grown chippies, but a lot of the info is still probably good. Hope this helps.

Proper Position
    A tiny baby can be held in your hand. A baby with fur can lie on a flat surface on his stomach. A baby that can walk can be held upright or he can drink sitting up. Hold the syringe so the tip points UP to the baby’s mouth and the handle is down. Don’t let the baby get cold. Keep him wrapped up while he eats.

How to Feed Fluids
    Place the syringe tip on the baby’s lips (from the side) and squeeze out one drop for him to taste. Don’t squirt a steady stream. Let him swallow one drop before squeezing more. GO SLOW! It sometimes takes a feeding or two for them to catch on. Hairless babies are fed drop by drop. With older babies (once they catch on) you can squeeze slowly for one second, wait for him to swallow, then squeeze more.

If fluids dribble out his mouth or come out his nose, you are going too fast. Stop and tilt the baby’s head down so the fluid drains out (support his head and neck like you would a human baby). Then wipe his nose and mouth with a tissue. Start over, slower. NOTE: There is now a chance your baby will develop aspiration pneumonia from inhaling fluid in his lungs. This is fatal. Please contact a rehabber or vet.

Below are two different feeding positions:
    Name:  3 wk baby feeding.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  83.3 KB

Name:  How to Hold Baby.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  17.1 KB
    How Much Fluid to Feed
    Give 1/2 to 1 cc every 30 minutes for the first 2 hours. Then give it every 2 hours around the clock. Do not feed Pedialyte for more than 24 hours. It is not a subsitute for formula. Refrigerate Pedialyte after opening. Throw away any open bottles after 3 days.

Check the baby every few hours using the “pinch test” described above. As baby rehydrates, he should “perk up” and become more active. Rehydrate all babies for at least 2 hours before feeding formula or food of any kind. Severely dehydrated babies should be rehydrated for 24 hours before feeding.
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy'sMom
    hmmm ... let me check to see if there is a conversion to tsp. ---- do you have a 1/8 tsp measuring spoon?
    1 teaspoon = 5 cc's
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

tatcat Guest

you guys are so helpful... i am learning so much here...

Buddy'sMom Guest

The drops or tsp should give you a way to measure -- I would STILL re-calculate what AC gave you, reducing the amount of water by 1/2 so you don't have to give him as much.

There has been mixed advice about prednisone and squirrels, lalthough it has been used before (don't know about chippies). It is very closely related to the dexamethasone and prescribed for the same purpose. If you can find a rehabber tomorrow, waiting overnight would be ok.

Apple Corps Guest

Eden - I guessed 3 ounces - so my dosage calcs are close enough.

The sanity check is simple: the tablet delivers 23 mg of Baytril. So if you dissolve it in 23 GALLONS (SILLY) you would give a dose of 1 gallon to get a single mg of Baytril in him.

You best bet is a 1 cc syringe - squirt out 10 syringe fulls = 10cc

Then your dose would be only 1/2 cc to deliver 1 mg.

AC

Buddy'sMom Guest

AC, I'm guessing she doesn't have any syringes ... and it's already 11pm on the East Coast.

Eden, if you have an eyedropper that you can thoroughly clean out, you can measure drops, or if not, can measure in fractions of a teaspoon as indicated above. Will either of those work?

Eden Guest

I've got to find a dropper or syringe first... one without cat spit on it. I suppose I could wash one, but I'd still be worried.

Here are some videos. They are dark and a little but blurry. New camera. I'm not sure what the problem is. One is his leg spasming (both do it), one of him reacting to me moving his leg, and one of him chowing down on a piece of apple.

And a mugshot of the perpetrator.

Evil-looking, ain't she?

Apple Corps Guest

eden - just do the clean teaspoon thing Buddy's Mom suggested for tonight - you should be fine..

Buddy'sMom Guest

Oh, he's so cuuuute! Was he asleep when he did that with his leg (looked like at least one eye was closed)? If it was in sleep, that would be less worrisome than if it spasms when he's awake. Surprising that he let you do it. I first wondered if he could feel it? But at the end looked like he drew his leg away?

I think if you VERY CAREFULLY wash the dropper, it would be ok. VERY thoroughly.

btw, kittie is pretty too. Try not to blame her too much; she was just being a cat.

Eden Guest

But I have a ton of syringes, I do! My cat (RIP) was paralyzed by cancerous tumors that had spread into his central nervous system, and couldn't manage to eat by himself. Who ever heard of a cat that sick wanting to eat? Well, you didn't know my cat! This chipmunk reminds me a little of him in that respect. Little hoggers the both of them. That's where the Baytril and Prednisone are coming from - leftover meds from my cat. I digress. I have a ton of plastic syringes. They just might need to be boiled or something.
    Hmmm. The cat-spit syringe is what I will have to use to adminsiter the anti-cat-spit medicine. Kinda ironic...

And no, I don't think he was asleep. The eye that you can see is the one that was all white, then blinky. He's winking at you.
    Yeah, he sort of pulled his leg away, or it was a muscle spasm in reaction to my touching it. I really don't know how those things work, just that he seems to have some feeling, and maybe a tiny bit of control in his legs. A very tiny bit.

Kitty is whining outside the door. I think she can smell Mr. Peepers! She's pure evil, I tell you! She just dropped her furry Mr. Peepers-sized toy with a squeaker in it in my path when I was walking barefoot across a dark room. Almost gave me a heart attack when I stepped on it.

Buddy'sMom Guest

Syringe will make it much easier!

Washing should do it, but in an abundance of caution boiling for 10 minutes couldn't hurt (I don't think that would hurt the syringe?). It is quite ironic why you have the syringes, tho.

I've gotta go to bed. Any more questions? Will you be OK now? There usually is someone around all night, so you could come and post if something comes up -- just might not be immediate response.

He shoudl sleep all night (til dawn anyway). Doesn't seem to be in pain or distress, so I think he should be ok for the night . You're doing GREAT,btw!!

Eden Guest

Thank you so much for the help. I think we'll be ok on our own for tonight. I'm dissolving a Baytril tab as I type, and quadruple checking the ratios of liquid to baytril, and the dose.

2 and a little teaspoons (because it's 23, not 20 mg) of pediolyte to one tab. Then 1/2 ml dose. I think I got it.

Thank you, and sleep well.

Buddy'sMom Guest

You, too.

I'll check back in the morning. If you don't hear back from the rehabber early, we can get other contacts for you.

G'nite!

Apple Corps Guest

Eden - no ned to worry about 20 vs 23 - were an infection already established it would be common practice to double the first dose (a bolus dose) to quickly elevate the blood serum level of the agent.

Prayers for the evening.......

Eden Guest

Thank you, and thank you.

He just had a huge apple snack after he drank his Baytril like a champ, now time for both of us to sleep!

Niters

Apple Corps Guest

Good Night - Thanks for Caring and

Be Sure to PROTECT Chippie from the cat

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

Good morning Eden!
    How is Mr. Peepers?
    You are a natural...thank you sooo much for the kindness you are showing the little fella...
    I don't have chippies and he is so precious...oh my!
    I am praying he has slept well..and you too!
    Maybe you can try those rehabbers again this morning!
    ...to TSB, glad you are here...
    C'mon little buddy...we love you!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.