Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Parker's teeth

Default Re: Parker's teeth

Don't know the verdict yet - his appt is later today. I'll keep you all posted
    I did try to see if I could catch him this morning - he was still in his blankets and I reached in and put my hand around him...he shot out so fast I didn't even see him move!!!
    The only one who has a chance of catching him is DH (he used to catch houseflies with his bare hands for a little regal jumping spider I had for a little while - another "rescue" even though it turned out he didn't need rescuing ) but I don't think he wants to try.
    Wish me luck - I have to hit DH up for money for Parker's visit today. He SAID I could catch him...

PARKER

Wishing all goes with with the vet trip :nurse
    Tribute to my dear Wheezer:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfmpVgdwCi8
    New favorites squirrel video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu22KiUQFmY

Hey - he handed me a blank check! Ahahahahahhah (evil laugh)
    It'll probably be later today for an update. I'm going to beg to be allowed into the secret vet room to watch the trimming. I want to look in his mouth and I'm considering asking for an radiograph but that might push the limits of the blank check.

Let us know how it goes.

squirrel princess Guest

Can you video the visit

Here I come, creeping back because I am soooooo embarassed.
    Parker is a GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I've been watching HER from a distance for so long and through all the winter and all the abcess, tooth drama I somehow convinced myself she was a he!!
    To make matters worse, I've been watching her hanging on the bars like a little monkey for a month now and didn't catch it.
    I know perfectly well what is what but I assumed there were no "grapes" because of malnutrition or SOMETHING!!
    Next post, details of visit.
    don_lex: I didn't get a video but I got PICTURES!!! Our vet is the coolest ever. I'm going to load them, shring them and pick some to post.
    Parker is in HER quiet room now recovering with a new, more interesting cage which I have to transfer her to.
    Her, her, her I have to get used to saying it.
    Is there a completely red in the face icon???

WARNING! if you haven't seen a knocked out squirrel (or any knocked out animal) these pictures may look a little freaky. But I promise she is home and doing fine in her new cage - telling me what she thinks of me!
    So Parker had HER visit to the vet today. (I'm still embarassed)
    SHE was in her big silly cage and it took about 20 minutes to catch her. I finally managed to get her while she was buried in a small blanket without her squirting out like a bar of soap. Into the Iso box she went and a few minutes later she was out cold. The vet let me come watch!!! It was kind of freaky seeing her all floppy especially since she's always so tense.
    So her teeth were trimmed and she is back home in a new cage which isn't large but it splits into two for (hopefully) easy transport when the teeth grow again. Too early to tell but her jaw looked a little more in line. But that may be wishful thinking. I think we're giving it a few more tries. Probably not at home - she's a firecracker!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Poor Miss Parker , she really had some looooong teethmjs
    She will wake up amazed at how easy it is now to eat
    Bless you for saving her
    I would try to tame her so she will enjoy her life with you and chances are the teeth may not get better Even if they eventually align I think it might take several months so living in captivity will be easier if she isn't afraid
    You can always "wild" her up later if she can be released
    That is just my opinion

squirrel princess Guest

I would have just had to pet the wild WOMAN like crazy while she was under and do a nail trimming. Could she bite you to where her teeth would even go in your skin before or did you even try that
    You should be embarrased and ashamed please wear this from here on out no nuts because of malnutrition cracks me up

She was getting really good about taking food from me and even from my husband. You can see the grape pictures. That was until I chased her around her cage for 15 minutes, grabbed her and stuck her in a plexiglass box
    It may take a little while but I'll be working on it. Any sure fire methhods - wait, even if there is don't post it or everyone will run out and catch adult squirrels
    The vet trimmed her teeth closer this time I think. She has an antler to chew on which she used a couple of times after the last trim - maybe she'll give it a shot again.

HEY!!! My shrank when I lost a ton of weight!
    Parker couldn't really bite because she had to open really wide to get a grip on anything. She tried though! I felt a little pinch through the blanket.
    Why did I not cut her nails!!!!! WHY!!! They punctured my finger the other day when I was "experimenting" with whether she could bite. I let her grab my finger and pull it to her mouth but she was wicked strong and now I have a hole in my finger.

I did pet her by the way. First thing I did. But I had to get out of the way so they could trim. They trimmed them AFTER the vet and I were done taking a bunch of pictures!

squirrel princess Guest

Quote Originally Posted by smoknbunny
    HEY!!! My shrank when I lost a ton of weight!
    Parker couldn't really bite because she had to open really wide to get a grip on anything. She tried though! I felt a little pinch through the blanket.
    Why did I not cut her nails!!!!! WHY!!! They punctured my finger the other day when I was "experimenting" with whether she could bite. I let her grab my finger and pull it to her mouth but she was wicked strong and now I have a hole in my finger.

all the more reason to trim them while she was out

Awe, I'm so happy for you. You did this girl a great service (even if you did think she was a dude).

Hey she came and took a nut from me!!
    I'm going to fatten her up and see if she'll turn back into a boy...

p.s. here is Parker's new home. It is small but the top comes off and I can take only half of it to the vet (when the time comes)
    Plus, it is more interesting with two levels, ramps and a balcony. You can see her in there radiating angry vibes at me.
    I wish I had a picture of her next to another squirrel so you could see how tiny she is. We were so excited about taking pictures we forgot to weigh her .
    Also, her fur looks a million times better. I don't know if you can see it in the previous pictures but she has bald spots and dry wrinkly looking skin in patches. Now her fur looks like real squirrel fur - see the picture of her before the operation. Only a few little spots here and there. Mainly where the bottom teeth scraped along her face.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Diet I'm sure and she probably couldn't groom either. After her first trimming she just went to town licking and scrubbing. She seems very attentive to her tail. It was always her best feature even when she wasn't doing well outside

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

She looks gorgeous after her dental work
    Great cage...wish Sarah had one for vet days! It can be stressful . Dang Sqs.

She's gonna love you before it's over.
    Did vet say anything long term prognosis
    Good Luck...more pics!

I wish I had a good video of her to show. I'll have to try and get one.
    I think we have decided to give her a couple more trimmings and see how she does. after the first one her jaw didn't line up at all and her tongue hung out. Now her tongue is still in her mouth and it looks more lined up. That could be because this trim was closer but I don't know. Maybe that abcess she had put her jaw out of whack, the teeth grew wrong before she could beat the abcess and the muscles in her face got out of whack too (like my highly technical terms?). Now that there is no abcess I wonder if some chewing practice will get her jaw muscles back in shape and keep her teeth where they should be.
    I think we are just giving her some time and hoping for he best. I don't know if she will ever LOVE me but at least she comes and takes food from my fingers. Much better than screaming at me or freezing like a statue
    Thank you everyone for your support, concern, advice and, yes, even teasing.
    I'm going to bed now - hope i can breathe with this bag on my head

Great job and neat cage
    SHE is alive because of you
    This is going to be a great story to keep up with Thanks for sharing

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast